Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 214
  1. #91
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I told you, different time. When we're in such a Avengers/X-Men age, it's trickier to make a book now that doesn't focus on the top popular characters.
    So they made a book about Clint Barton who is in the movies which would make the book a hit based on your logic. And somehow, it is Kate Bishop who is carrying the book even though he does not have a movie and she is starring in a team book that is selling less than Barton?

    And your scientific basis for that are tumblr posts from rabid fans.

    WOW! I would love to show this thread to my statistics class on how to NOT make inference. WOW.
    I don't think there's a current mainstream American superhero comic book that can touch Hawkeye right now. Brilliant all the way. Entertaining and technically outstanding at the same time.

  2. #92
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erwinrafael View Post
    So they made a book about Clint Barton who is in the movies which would make the book a hit based on your logic. And somehow, it is Kate Bishop who is carrying the book even though he does not have a movie and she is starring in a team book that is selling less than Barton?

    And your scientific basis for that are tumblr posts from rabid fans.

    WOW! I would love to show this thread to my statistics class on how to NOT make inference. WOW.
    Kate Bishop gets fanart pretty much daily. Every new picture creates more fans of her.

  3. #93
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    249

    Default

    Hawkeye is great. It balances fun, drama and tension nicely. Fraction gives Clint a strong voice. And it's a genre savvy book with a nice lampshade here and there.

  4. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    *Kieran Frost shyly raises his hand*
    I love the book, but I ONLY picked it up (originally) for Kate Bishop; and she is still one of the major draws (for me) to the comic. Don't underestimate how popular she is (one of the most beloved Young Avengers). In fact I often feel one of the major appeals is how respectul Fraction is with Kate, and giving her more than "just" sidekick moments, but proper attention and epicness! To me this isn't a Hawkeye solo, but a Hawkeye duet comic! The same way Incredible Hercules' name was on the comic, but it was Herc AND Cho's book.
    But surely you wouldn't assert that your opinion represents everyone else. Surely you wouldn't say that this book is only successful because of Kate. Surely you wouldn't say that Tumblr and YA fans represent the entirety, hell even the majority of the people that buy this book. Surely you wouldn't say that Kate Bishop is more popular then Clint. Would you really say any of that? Because if so, then you and SB live on a completely different planet then the rest of us. Maybe I'm in the 1281 universe or something.

    Keep in mind, I completely agree with everything you said past the first two sentences. I think it's charming and a bit cute to see them both call each other Hawkeye. It says a lot about both characters that they have that sort of relationship. I just think claiming that she is the only reason why this book is selling is incredibly obnoxious and for some people insulting. If I was Fraction I'd probably be insulted.

  5. #95
    A regular guy hawkeyefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,314

    Default

    I was a mark for this book from the start, my favorite character by a great creative team. I heard about the inclusion of Kate Bishop and that was actually my only concern. I didn't dislike the character, but I wasn't a big fan either. So I bought the book despite her presence.

    I like how she's been used here. She's becoming a solid character and the dynamic between the two of them is great.

    She's certainly a part of the book's continued success, to be sure. But to attribute it solely to her is silly. Every positive review about the book lists several reasons why it is so good. Ignoring all that in favor of the Kate is everything argument seems more like willful ignorance than anything else.

    All that said, the book is quirky and different and not necessarily for everyone. But that's just fine by me. It's been successful enough that it isn't in any danger, so I'll take it. I've been waiting years to say "oh that happened in issue 12 of Hawkeye."

  6. #96
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    But surely you wouldn't assert that your opinion represents everyone else. Surely you wouldn't say that this book is only successful because of Kate. Surely you wouldn't say that Tumblr and YA fans represent the entirety, hell even the majority of the people that buy this book. Surely you wouldn't say that Kate Bishop is more popular then Clint. Would you really say any of that? Because if so, then you and SB live on a completely different planet then the rest of us. Maybe I'm in the 1281 universe or something.

    Keep in mind, I completely agree with everything you said past the first two sentences. I think it's charming and a bit cute to see them both call each other Hawkeye. It says a lot about both characters that they have that sort of relationship. I just think claiming that she is the only reason why this book is selling is incredibly obnoxious and for some people insulting. If I was Fraction I'd probably be insulted.
    But as you see, Kate was the gateway for people buying the book.

    Compare it to Fraction's Defenders which didn't do as well, and that had Terry Dodgson on art! Namor, Dr. Strange, and Silver Surfer, who are just as popular as Hawkeye!

  7. #97
    Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    JEEEEAAAN
    Posts
    5,942

    Default

    Somebody's posts were well put.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post


    It's like this.
    yeah...I had to force myself to read the sixth panel.

  8. #98

    Default

    Yea SB, but that book has a totally different style and direction the Hawkeye . You can't even compare the two, they aren't remotely similar (at least from the little I read). Plus it sucked. This is a totally different read. Kate wasn't my gateway, she wasn't my friends gateway, and from the looks of it she wasn't the gateway for the people that have responded to you.

  9. #99
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    Somebody's posts were well put.

    yeah...I had to force myself to read the sixth panel.
    Yeah, she does that to me too.

  10. #100
    Wol with it. SuperCooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    Somebody's posts were well put.



    yeah...I had to force myself to read the sixth panel.
    Why I chose this pic. It's the sort of writing which some people like, others not so much. It's Fraction being Bendisesque. And, for me, it works where the two writers normally falter.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

  11. #101
    Elder Member celticguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Kate Bishop gets fanart pretty much daily. Every new picture creates more fans of her.

    Are you trying to get her killed off?

  12. #102
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celticguy View Post
    Are you trying to get her killed off?
    If I wanted to do that, I'd start liking her.

  13. #103
    Elder Member celticguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    And then she's able to infiltrate a criminal gig better than Hawkeye, and then is able to get Clint out of binds several times, and the fact that Clint can never one up her.

    This book is all about making Kate look superior.
    Clint has been on national TV giving his name and face to the world of course he cannot infiltrate. Kate is a nobody who most people would not recognize in costume let alone unmasked. No one driving a Bettle is ever superior, ever. I know you are just drumming up favor for one of your girls but keep one foot in reality.

  14. #104
    Senior Member PupsOfWar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    conspiracy!

  15. #105
    Elder Member celticguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Except it's odd there's a bias to Hawkeye.


    .
    Not odd at all male characters are considered more marketable. Now if that is actually true or not I don't have the data to support either way but it certainly seems to be the belief of the publishers.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •