Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DECOMICFAN View Post
    When Hawkeye came out I heard how great it was so I tried issues 2 and 3 and decided never to pick up another issue. I'll probably sell those issues since I never continued the comic. Could someone tell me what I 'm missing?
    Your missing the sense of humor and unique art style.

If neither appeals to you then don't bother picking it up.

No offense but you could've just posted this in the Hawkeye thread.

I don't think it's something extraordinary if not everyone enjoys a certain book, it's natural we're all different.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    That's actually a good way to put it.

I feel like Fraction's early struggles with success led him to a point of pandering pseudo-indie. His current books seem to live on the appeal of their artists and some cute jokes.

but while the first issue of Hawkeye made me wince, I will say the sixth made me want to pick up some others and see if the first was just off. I'll get around to it pretty soon.
    I'd say Hawkguy is working on one of those instances where writer and artist (and the whole crew, to be fair) are merged together into this two-headed amalgam monster who wants to destroy the world and create comics, but decides to start with the latter and we're all better for it.

It's pretty Classic Marvel.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by DECOMICFAN View Post
    When Hawkeye came out I heard how great it was so I tried issues 2 and 3 and decided never to pick up another issue. I'll probably sell those issues since I never continued the comic. Could someone tell me what I 'm missing?
    I would understand the question if you referred to issues 1 and 2. But issue 3? If you can not see what's great with issue 3 (which would make Scott Mccloud proud because it can be used as reference material in a comic book writing and art class, that's how good it is technically) then definitely this is not the book for you.
    I don't think there's a current mainstream American superhero comic book that can touch Hawkeye right now. Brilliant all the way. Entertaining and technically outstanding at the same time.

Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    I'd say Hawkguy is working on one of those instances where writer and artist (and the whole crew, to be fair) are merged together into this two-headed amalgam monster who wants to destroy the world and create comics, but decides to start with the latter and we're all better for it.

It's pretty Classic Marvel.
    Yeah, I think the Marvel Method is part of the reason why its so successful as well.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

It's clear that Fraction is fond of writing for Aja, but I think that like JHW3 or Allred, Aja can do his own thing and have it "mysteriously" be as good as his collaborations.

I think I'd like to try it from the beginning. Any idea when the first trade is coming out?

I just don't think it's for everyone. Some people seem to love it, others don't.

I tried the first three issues, and I did really enjoy them. But then I forgot to keep buying it, and multiple times I've thought about catching up, but I just haven't got round to it yet and always choose to buy other things instead. To be honest, I don't miss it. So I've just decided not to buy any more issues as clearly I'm not really bothered about it, whereas if I missed an issue of something else, such as Daredevil, Superior Spider-Man, Hellblazer or Uncanny X-Men (I have them all on my pull list though, so shouldn't happen) I'd make a special trip to the comic shop just to get the issue I missed, which is what tells me they're the things I personally should be reading.

So no, I don't think you're missing something. It just isn't for you, but that doesn't mean it isn't good.

Loved Aja's work though.
    Peter Parker is my lord and saviour.
    Show Teddy some love!
    "I want Apex to feast on Reptil like a pregnant khaleesi." - Sanji
    MY ART

one hundred ways to die Centipede Damascus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tingray View Post
    I think I'd like to try it from the beginning. Any idea when the first trade is coming out?
    It will be out at the end of March: http://amzn.com/0785165622

It's like this.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

Maybe you don't like it because it isn't really about superheroics so far? I don't know, you haven't posted back since the beginning. The thick and thin of it is, Hawkeye historically could never sell on name alone. Lots of people wanted a Captain America like experience, but with Hawkeye. That just hasn't worked. Never past 6 issues. I think the logic behind this series is to explore a different take on a Hawkeye title. Ok, if generic "super heroics" historically hasn't sold the public on Clint Barton, what about the character will? What makes him different?

The fact that he's an every man with a heart of gold. That's the essence of the title. He's a hero that does the right thing. Always. And while it seems kind of oxymoronic -- in this day and age it's a refreshing take on a super hero. The age of the boy scout hero is over, and that's what makes Clint an endearing character. Clint, for all his boneheaded cockiness, never values anyone higher than others. The mailman has cancer and can't pay his bills. BOOM, Hawkeye covers it with his paycheck from the Avengers. A bunch of Russian mobsters kick a dog out in the middle of traffic and Clint risks his life in the middle of a gunfight to save the dog. That's the pitch. It's one man who doesn't think anyone's life should be placed higher than others. In this cynical world it's very endearing.

Not to mention that Hawkeye does super heroics in like 3 other titles, so trying a generic super hero title approach -- creating a rouges gallery and backup cast all through the traditional means -- isn't needed. What it turns out though, is that people want a title where Hawkeye gets to act like the Hawkeye we all grew up loving, and this title fills that character exploration niche so that both Clint doesn't need to waste time being explored in the other million titles he's in and allows the creative team to tell stories that don't have to necessarily focus on him taking on Zemo since he does that everywhere else.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. I'm lucky enough that we have a Hawkeye solo where I don't have to try to convince people to buy it. Don't get me wrong, I'm still in the shop snapping up 3rd print variants because I don't know when this train will end, but for now I'm not going to try to force this title down your throat. This title can stand on it's own without Clint loyalists harping about it. Which is great as a lifetime Hawkeye fan.

Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post

It's like this.
    Haha I loved this scene.

I love the dynamic of Kate and Clint's relationship. Fraction does such a good job writing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Really, I guess it depends if you're a Kate Bishop fan.
    Care to elaborate?
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCooper View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Honestly? It seems that this book was made for Kate fans, as they seem to be getting the most enjoyment from the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Honestly? It seems that this book was made for Kate fans, as they seem to be getting the most enjoyment from the book.
    I beg to differ, but then again if you're buying it for Clint, Kate or both better for me in the end. I just want to see some costumes though, and it looks like we'll be getting that soon with The Clown. I also liked that new Swordsman a lot, I hope he isn't paralyzed for good.