Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spider Powered Time Lord Spider-Mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ballard Blues View Post
    SMTAS Felicia Hardy is Felicia, she just isn't a version of the canonized character you happen to like.
    Fair comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Considering what other problems this show had, Felicia should be the least of your worries. There's a lot to love about her; she's geroic, caring, smart, and was a useful replacement for Gwen.
    True
    SPIDER-MAN: Hey there, my name's Spider-Man, and this is my trusty sidekick Wolverine!
    WOLVERINE: *Growls*
    (Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes)

Are you rewatching the show? I have tried a few times since it came on Netflix instant. But I have a hard time with it. The lack of punching just really bothers me.

Loved it as a kid in the early 90s. It was a large reason I became a Spidey fan, but I don't feel it has aged well.
    Founder and member of the Spidey 500 Club: Class of 2013.

Come join the club!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post

Loved it as a kid in the early 90s. It was a large reason I became a Spidey fan, but I don't feel it has aged well.
    The show hasn't aged well(IMO) is because the story dialog was aimed at young children in connection with the Toy Marketing schemes at the time. The Animation was on the low end of the budget. And the stories were recycled from the early stories that the producers love to use. Most of the time, the producers never bothered to look outside of the box for new ideas. This is also why the 90's UPN Hulk series hasn't aged very well at all. And the censorship was also a reason why the show hasn't age well. Whenever someone creates a new Spider-Man TV show, they feel that it must be a kids medium.

Doesn't feel strange that the Flintstones, The Jetsons, and Johnny Quest from the 1960's has withstood the test of time very well while countless shows that followed from the 1970 and beyond have not? The story dialog is the reason why some show do well and others do not when the test of time is factored in years after its initial run have ended.
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 02-17-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Spider of the Shadows Assassin Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    The show hasn't aged well(IMO) is because the story dialog was aimed at young children in connection with the Toy Marketing schemes at the time. The Animation was on the low end of the budget. And the stories were recycled from the early stories that the producers love to use. Most of the time, the producers never bothered to look outside of the box for new ideas. This is also why the 90's UPN Hulk series hasn't aged very well at all. And the censorship was also a reason why the show hasn't age well. Whenever someone creates a new Spider-Man TV show, they feel that it must be a kids medium.

Doesn't feel strange that the Flintstones, The Jetsons, and Johnny Quest from the 1960's has withstood the test of time very well while countless shows that followed from the 1970 and beyond have not? The story dialog is the reason why some show do well and others do not when the test of time is factored in years after its initial run have ended.
    The statement in bold there is exactly what I feel is behind how utterly childish the Ultimate Spider-Man TV series is compared to the previous Spider-Man series since TAS. While they were all "for kids," the previous ones did allow for discussion and exploration of more mature and dramatic themes and the impact they had on the characters, whereas Ultimate for the most part relies on gag-a-minute storytelling and depicts a highly immature, at-times incompetent, and even irresponsible borderline caricature of Spider-Man. The second season has been getting better in certain places on that regard, particularly the episode debuting Kraven and this morning's episode, but it's got a long way to go before cleansing my pallet of the juvenile bile that made up most of the first season's episodes.
    Back in black, the hunter is ready to claim his prey.

No time for white drama Ballard Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    The show hasn't aged well(IMO) is because the story dialog was aimed at young children in connection with the Toy Marketing schemes at the time.
    The dialog never felt childish me unless they were deliberately using euphemisms for "Kill", "Death", "Blood" or "Murder" or PSAing the hell out of POC characters featured in the "After School Special Episode". Outside of that, the dialog was pretty spot on with not treating its general audience like idiots in spite of its ham-fisted cheese and the censorship mandate looming over their heads.
    “For the natural born smartass, nine times out of ten
    the "smartass impulse" is acted upon before the brain
    has even engaged in first gear.”
    - Stephen King?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
    Are you rewatching the show? I have tried a few times since it came on Netflix instant. But I have a hard time with it. The lack of punching just really bothers me.

A lot of it aged well with me. I perfer over Spectacular Spider-Man. I can't get past the animation in that show. I love the animation in Ultimate Spider-Man but the concept of the show isn't my cup of tea. I watch it but I really don't like it. I wish they'd can the team he leads and focus on Peter Parker making his way through highschool with his comicbook supporting cast.
    Kevin Nichols is jealous of my friendship with Oldschool.

the felicia character was frequently immature and bizarre in her abrupt scoldings of peter.. i have to mentally "justify" this as being aimed at much younger kids.. so much about the show was off-kilter in terms of traditional character tics.. Pete being wimpy was another..

Quote Originally Posted by RyanParkerMan View Post
    A lot of it aged well with me. I perfer over Spectacular Spider-Man. I can't get past the animation in that show. I love the animation in Ultimate Spider-Man but the concept of the show isn't my cup of tea. I watch it but I really don't like it. I wish they'd can the team he leads and focus on Peter Parker making his way through highschool with his comicbook supporting cast.
    The art of the Ultimate cartoon is better, and I like how he has blue eyes instead of brown, but apart from that I don't really like it and find it a bit of a chore to get through. Aren't there heaps of team-up cartoons already?

Quote Originally Posted by He78ather View Post
    What show was SSM?

The Spectacular Spider-Man

I feel like TAS aged very very well. Yea the ultra censoring of the show is very irritating, but the dialogue is actually pretty good. It alludes to more mature themes, emotional turmoil, and mature decisions made my characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Memmorio View Post
    I feel like TAS aged very very well. Yea the ultra censoring of the show is very irritating, but the dialogue is actually pretty good. It alludes to more mature themes, emotional turmoil, and mature decisions made my characters.
    Very much agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    The art of the Ultimate cartoon is better, and I like how he has blue eyes instead of brown, but apart from that I don't really like it and find it a bit of a chore to get through. Aren't there heaps of team-up cartoons already?
    Yeah but the team up aspect isn't what's "wrong" with Ultimate. Young Justice is fantastic. I look forward to it every week in my DVR, just as much as Shameless, The Walking Dead, Californication, you name it. It's sophisticated and riveting. The animation is beautiful and all the characters are written expertly. Ultimate Spider-Man has nothing to do with what Spider-Man is all about. Nothing. That's right. Nothing. I can't believe I live in a world where with DVR and a Spider-Man cartoon that I don't record anymore because it's so bad.