Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodreads.com

I've only been a member a couple of months but in the four groups I joined, the forums aren't very active. I wonder it's because people don't come there to debate as they (sometimes) do here. They just post their own Facebook-like observations and then wisp away.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothos View Post
    I've only been a member a couple of months but in the four groups I joined, the forums aren't very active. I wonder it's because people don't come there to debate as they (sometimes) do here. They just post their own Facebook-like observations and then wisp away.
    Sword&Laser and Vaginal Fantasy seem pretty lively.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Sword&Laser and Vaginal Fantasy seem pretty lively.
    Thank you for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothos View Post
    Im a member in 10 Groups that are active of the 15,16 im a member of. It depends on which groups you know will be active because you have friends there. It really depends on which GR friends you have. I have many Friends from SFF Chronicles group and have many friends from Pulp Fiction group that we talk about classic,modern noir crime fiction all the time. We read PI or Noir group reads every month. Talk about Film Noir. Its more like i feel bad i dont have time to debate in all my fav Groups that are active.

Goodreads experience really depends on which people you are friends with that you can talk,debate books with in FB comments like or in the groups.

Jack Vance is my fav author but his group has only 4,5 members and then you know it wont be active. Pulp Fiction group i have posted most comments in have over 200 members.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by Libaax View Post
    Im a member in 10 Groups that are active of the 15,16 im a member of. It depends on which groups you know will be active because you have friends there. It really depends on which GR friends you have.
    That reminds me: I'm Goodreads friends - via Facebook - of my LCS manager: I should see if they have a group.

Veteran Member

I'll say one thing for Goodreads: seeing my "Currently Reading" list has helped shame myself into getting back to some of the books I started over a year ago and haven't looked at since.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

*Ack* Having joined Goodreads only within the last few weeks, I just now noticed that the site hyphenates "currently reading" ... which of course is a grammatical sin.

I have to go lie down now.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Quote Originally Posted by berk View Post
    I'll say one thing for Goodreads: seeing my "Currently Reading" list has helped shame myself into getting back to some of the books I started over a year ago and haven't looked at since.
    It can be a shame that gets in the way too. I have had Watchman currently reading for the last month and half havent time to read it. Focused on The Illiad, Faust by Goethe and havent had hunger to read comics that big book size because of lack of time.

The constant reminder is shaming me to read the GN now :P
    Pull List:

Veteran Member

It can be a shame that gets in the way too. I have had Watchman currently reading for the last month and half havent time to read it. Focused on The Illiad, Faust by Goethe and havent had hunger to read comics that big book size because of lack of time.

The constant reminder is shaming me to read the GN now :P
    So far (which isn't very long - what, maybe a couple weeks?) it's been a positive thing for me in that it's gotten me to pick up some things I'd set aside for too long. I don't feel any unpleasant pressure to read everything on there right away, or even to read a bit of each every day or week or whatever.

I'm in the same boat as you with comics, though: I've really fallen behind. Next time I read a big non-fiction book I must try to sneak in some comics to get my narrative fix.

So far (which isn't very long - what, maybe a couple weeks?) it's been a positive thing for me in that it's gotten me to pick up some things I'd set aside for too long. I don't feel any unpleasant pressure to read everything on there right away, or even to read a bit of each every day or week or whatever.

I'm in the same boat as you with comics, though: I've really fallen behind. Next time I read a big non-fiction book I must try to sneak in some comics to get my narrative fix.
    I'm like 2 months behind on my monthly haul of comics. I have Animal Man,Fatale and co that just lies at my desk.

The trouble is im full time student of Arabic language in University levels which takes alot of time every week. I have time to read only one hobby. My comics,manga reading made me from non-reader into reading real books. Now comics has lost their special place to books. If i have time to read a great book by my fav author Vance/literary legend Homer or Alan Moore in a week my interest say forgot Alan Moore right now.

Simple hard truth.
    Pull List:

Veteran Member

One thing I can't fiugre out on goodreads: there seems to be no mechanism for "currently reading" anthologies that you just dip into here and there as opposed to reading them in order, start to finish.

I'm like 2 months behind on my monthly haul of comics. I have Animal Man,Fatale and co that just lies at my desk.

The trouble is im full time student of Arabic language in University levels which takes alot of time every week. I have time to read only one hobby. My comics,manga reading made me from non-reader into reading real books. Now comics has lost their special place to books. If i have time to read a great book by my fav author Vance/literary legend Homer or Alan Moore in a week my interest say forgot Alan Moore right now.

Simple hard truth.
    Your studies have to come first, of course. Are there any good comics in Arabic that you could read?

I don't really have a monthly haul of comics, but I do have a big stack of back issues and trade paperbacks that I should be trying to get to. But like yourself, I find the books taking more of my time than the comics right now.

One thing I can't fiugre out on goodreads: there seems to be no mechanism for "currently reading" anthologies that you just dip into here and there as opposed to reading them in order, start to finish.
    There are some short stories on there. Probably not all, by any means, but some. Not the best solution, but something.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    There are some short stories on there. Probably not all, by any means, but some. Not the best solution, but something.
    Good idea, I'll try searching for the individual stories.

Of course, I could always just mark an anthology as "currently reading" without putting in the page count progress or whatever it's called. Although I suspect I wouldn't feel right marking something as "read" when I haven't actually read all the stories, and in some cases have no intention of ever reading every last one of them.

I find comics hard to list. I generally mark the trades read rather than searching (often in vain) for the individual issues.

Your studies have to come first, of course. Are there any good comics in Arabic that you could read?

I don't really have a monthly haul of comics, but I do have a big stack of back issues and trade paperbacks that I should be trying to get to. But like yourself, I find the books taking more of my time than the comics right now.
    We are actually starting to read Muslim superheroes comics version of a famous Arabic animation. So im there soon. So far im analysing reading classic Arabic fairy tales to learn faster because the classic arabic is much harder to master.

About Currently reading for collections/anthologies you can just add them like regular book. You can add short stories that was published in their own like Gogol The Overcoat i have added as its own book. There are many short story collections in my shelfes. Its like comics you must add trades and not single issues after another. It would be a mess, million stories in you shelf. Become Goodreads Librarian and add anthlogies,short story collections no one has added before.

I do that for rare books like old noir collections and Swedish short story collections.
    Pull List: