Thread: Where to start

Default Where to start

So I went to my comic book store and asked about Suicide Squad, wanting to read about them. He asked if it was the idea or the characters I liked in Suicide Squad, since I don't know who's in Suicide Squad it had to be the idea, so he directed me to the Secret Six. He told me to read Villains United which was the start of the Secret Six (I'm guessing) I loved the trade and I wanted to read more. So I recently picked up what I was hoping was the next trade Secret Six Unhinged. I started reading it, but somethings seemed off. Bane was already a part of the group, Scandle's girlfriend was dead..Parademon was gone. Reading the copyright. Villains United was back in 2005 and Unhinged is in 2008-09. Now if I want to start from Villains United and go from there with the Secret Six where should I begin? What trades should I be looking for. (Even if they are out of print)

There was a mini between Villains United and Unhinged called Secret Six: Six Degrees of Devastation. Unless I'm misremembering, Bane is not in it, but it does deal with the Scandal and Parademon developments.

I'd really recommend picking up the John Ostrander Suicide Squad series. There's only one trade available, Trial by Fire, but if you like that, the rest of the series is not that difficult to pick up as back issues.

One of the things I liked the most was the friendship between Parademon and Ragdoll. I never understood it, but I like it, how he was so protective of him. And Ragdoll doesn't seem the same as he was in Villains United. Of course I'm not going to read further now until I get Six Degrees of Devastation. But where does Bane come into it at?

I might take a look into Trial by Fire when I get the chance. It's not the new 52 trade is it? Because I think that's the only trade my comic dealer has right now

I actually picked up Suicide Squad because of Harley Quin, I say picked because I don't like the central character Deadshot. But, yeah your best bet is to read Gail Simone's run on Secret Six. Villains United had Deathstroke, I found that to be the better title thats currently running.

Villians United by Simone/Eaglesham and Secret Six by Simone are great books. Suicide Squad is great in concept but there is a huge difference in the writing. I was disappointed.

Well what I really liked was the inaction between the characters. Parademon and Ragdoll, (well Parademon with everyone else when it came to ragdoll lol) Deadshot and Blake. Chesire made it interesting with her slyness. Scandle was kinda just there, but I liked her more as it went on. I want more comics like that, good interaction with the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by minorcharacterlover View Post
    One of the things I liked the most was the friendship between Parademon and Ragdoll. I never understood it, but I like it, how he was so protective of him. And Ragdoll doesn't seem the same as he was in Villains United. Of course I'm not going to read further now until I get Six Degrees of Devastation. But where does Bane come into it at?

I might take a look into Trial by Fire when I get the chance. It's not the new 52 trade is it? Because I think that's the only trade my comic dealer has right now
    I'm pretty sure than Bane just appears as part of the team when the S6 ongoing begins (Unhinged). I don't remember much from Six Degrees of Devastation.

The Ostrander Suicide Squad series ran in the late '80s through the early '90s. Trial by Fire is the first eight issues of that series. It's one of the finest series that DC has ever produced and blows the current series out of the water. Here's a link to it at Amazon, where you can get it fairly cheaply: http://www.amazon.com/Suicide-Squad-...+Trial+by+Fire

Alright, I read Six Degrees of Devastation. Loved it, but again it doesn't say what happened to Knockout. She was still alive after it, which just makes me want more. Does anyone else know where I can go from there?

Quote Originally Posted by minorcharacterlover View Post
    Alright, I read Six Degrees of Devastation. Loved it, but again it doesn't say what happened to Knockout. She was still alive after it, which just makes me want more. Does anyone else know where I can go from there?
    there is a crossover Birds of Prey / Secret Six. (Back then, Gail Simone in her best) Knockout`s dead is here
    BoP, around 100/110 . wonderful action.

It looks like you would want to read some issues in '52' to read about changes to the group after Villains Utd(/ Infinite Crisis)
    http://www.comicvine.com/suicide-squad/65-40394/
    http://www.comicvine.com/suicide-squ...4/52/49-18053/ - this shows the issues in 52 Edit: other page says this version of the team is disolved soon after
    Last edited by BatfanReborn; 02-24-2013 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSA View Post
    there is a crossover Birds of Prey / Secret Six. (Back then, Gail Simone in her best) Knockout`s dead is here
    BoP, around 100/110 . wonderful action.
    So this birds of prey/Secret Six crossover. This is where Knockout dies? Is this before or after Infinite Crisis? (Since I have started it up I might as well go through with it)

So I read the Birds of prey/Secret Six crossover, Knockout is still alive. So, where do I go from here?

I believe that her death is in a later BOP issue, before the start of Secret Six v.2. This was a tie in to the Death of the New Gods/Final Crisis storyline.

Alright, I found Knockout's death. BOP 109. Very tragic imo, especially with what happened beforehand.