Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Can't believe I'm going to say this but..... It was actually pretty good

There's still some stilted dialogue at the start (the preview) but now Nocenti has more control over the book (first issue without being a tie in) she has managed to set up a direction. There is a mystery surrounding Milo, Gwens mystery friend and connections to what seems to be the penguin. The issue also ends where we found Selina in the valentines special.

I also read JLA and the identity issue from the 0 issue is addressed, in fact Selina steals the scene in JLA. Geoff did a decent job with her. When we thought Selina was going to turn out to be some Russian amnesiac (0 issue) rest assured that kinda is not the case, check out both issues. Note that Catwoman doesn't tie into the JLA so you can read them independently of each other.

Hopefully things are improving.
    Books im reading: Black Widow, Loki Agent of Asgard, Catwoman, Green Arrow, Red Hood, JLD, Wonder Woman, Action Comics, Batman, Worlds Finest...

Can't wait to read it!

those god-damned goggles chipsnopotatoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catburgler_2100 View Post
    Can't believe I'm going to say this but..... It was actually pretty good

There's still some stilted dialogue at the start (the preview) but now Nocenti has more control over the book (first issue without being a tie in) she has managed to set up a direction. There is a mystery surrounding Milo, Gwens mystery friend and connections to what seems to be the penguin. The issue also ends where we found Selina in the valentines special.

I also read JLA and the identity issue from the 0 issue is addressed, in fact Selina steals the scene in JLA. Geoff did a decent job with her. When we thought Selina was going to turn out to be some Russian amnesiac (0 issue) rest assured that kinda is not the case, check out both issues. Note that Catwoman doesn't tie into the JLA so you can read them independently of each other.

Hopefully things are improving.
    Haven't read Nocenti's yet, but Johns did more than a decent job with Selina in JLA! And the setup for the whole team is intriguing.

Yeah once you get beyond the preview pages this settles into a nice little groove. Solid comic this month.

I have to agree, that was good. Excitingly good. Nocenti is pulling things together, including parts from Winick's run and playing out the aftermath of the most recent two crossovers. As both of those ended with a kind of hollow feeling I am grateful that they are having an effect. I am actually looking forward to next month to see if the momentum can be maintained.

The dialogue is weird, but it's fun. Sometimes what Selina says is reflective of someone who spends too much time in her head, she's always making jokes that only she would think are funny. (Or maybe only Ann Nocenti would think is funny) I'm beginning to find it endearing. One of my biggest complaints about n52 Selina has been that she has been unaware and uninterested in her surroundings to a point that she comes off as stupid. The start with watching and then intervening with the drug deal was definitely a step in the right direction, and the way that tied in with Gwen was intriguing. I really want to see how that plays out.

Funny thing, I think one of Nocenti's strengths is crowd scenes. Like the party from a few issues ago (happy to see that revisited) and the police station, museum scoping and visit to the group home scenes here. I complained that in the Black Room things were crowded and incoherent, but here they were really pleasant, gave a good sense of Selina's Gotham. Despite that my favorite bit was when she and Gwen were doing a practice run for the art heist.

So the Valentine's special turns out to be a side thought in this issue leading up to Catwoman and Batman meeting up for the first time since Death of the Family. Despite the marked improvements for this issue that makes me nervous. So nervous that I reserve the right to retract all the nice things I just said here.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Yeah, this is a remarkable improvement over the past few issues. The dialogue's still weird, but a lot more coherent and more of a "fun comic-book-y" style. I'm starting to have a bit more hope for this title.

This issue was totally hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by LostinFandom View Post
    The dialogue is weird, but it's fun. Sometimes what Selina says is reflective of someone who spends too much time in her head, she's always making jokes that only she would think are funny. (Or maybe only Ann Nocenti would think is funny) I'm beginning to find it endearing. One of my biggest complaints about n52 Selina has been that she has been unaware and uninterested in her surroundings to a point that she comes off as stupid. The start with watching and then intervening with the drug deal was definitely a step in the right direction, and the way that tied in with Gwen was intriguing. I really want to see how that plays out.
    I actually only find her stupid in Ann's flashbacks when she was pre Catwoman; otherwise, she's actually quite clever. And I like that she's no longer subject to emotional roller coasters now unlike Winick's run. As for her dialogue, way too chatty. Compare that to John's Selina in Justice League -- that one is much more like the TDKR Selina I love. Anyway, I can allow myself to like this Bizarro Selina now that I'm suspecting they're not the same person.

Nice character moment with the practice run for the job and I do like her attachment to the little kid.

Funny thing, I think one of Nocenti's strengths is crowd scenes. Like the party from a few issues ago (happy to see that revisited) and the police station, museum scoping and visit to the group home scenes here. I complained that in the Black Room things were crowded and incoherent, but here they were really pleasant, gave a good sense of Selina's Gotham. Despite that my favorite bit was when she and Gwen were doing a practice run for the art heist.
    Totally agree. I LOVE all her weird wacky anonymous characters. That scene at the police station with all the nutjobs is my favorite

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	109005

It had me in stitches. So did Penguin's lackey with the fishnets (superLOL) and the wind tunnel.

It's too bad it took 4 issues to get to this point so how do we reverse the trend and get readers back on this book. Maybe she and Batman should have sex again next issue (just kidding )

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnghtJared View Post
    Yeah, this is a remarkable improvement over the past few issues. The dialogue's still weird, but a lot more coherent and more of a "fun comic-book-y" style. I'm starting to have a bit more hope for this title.
    How good is the art though that's where this title really shines. Agree about the dialogue, though to me it's more than just plain weird but in places a whole lot weird, that said without being tied to the cross-over storylines has helped things a lot.

This issue was brilliant ballsbuster.

I'm glad Selina came back to check up on Milo. I just find her care for him really endearing, since it ties back to herself being an orphan, something Ann likes to reminds us of.

Speaking of tieing back, how awesome it was that Young Romance rooftop reminiscing was connected to Gwen being called in for interrogation? Alvarez taking fingerprints from reported penthouse robbery? Doorman and his hunk a junk? Masterful move.

And then we get another youth of today sequence with 8year old saying "let's go outside and have a smoke."

Not to mention Nocenti not cutting back on humor.

Art was top notch. Writer/artist synergy here is incredible. I especially like Cat stole painting from the #18 issue cover.

10/10

Is it actually as good as you folk are suggesting? I bought the 2 issues of her DotF cross overs seeing the positive remarks here, man that was disappointing.

I don't know what to tell you, man. Nocenti's quirkier writing style shines here. If it wasn't to your liking in the tie-ins, it won't wow you here.
    But this is pretty straight-forward, no hidden meanings. So, my advice is try it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBalzan View Post
    Is it actually as good as you folk are suggesting? I bought the 2 issues of her DotF cross overs seeing the positive remarks here, man that was disappointing.
    What can I say. It's an acquired taste like Epoisse.

Would it help if I said Ive read her entire GA run and hated every issue til her last (which I was surprised to find I liked it, though it may have just been in anticipation for her replacement)?

In that case save your money.

Yeah i think the stuff in the preview didn't do this comic any justice its actually the best issue ann has written so far in my opinion.