Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Katana, #1

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    It's not my fault or issue if some posters want to attack the messenger rather than addressing the merits of the subject for discussion offered, which relates to what is going on inside the book itself per the author Ms. Nocenti.
    I addressed the merits of the subject in the other thread you claimed people didn't like "Katanna" because they don't like women.

To my knowledge, you haven't replied.

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

2 post removed, If you cant be civil towards one another.... use the ignore user function.

Quote Originally Posted by flottanna View Post
    The issue wasn't bad.
    i agree. i think it has some good elements with the sword and using san francisco as a backdrop could be good. I will give it a few more issues before i decide if it will go into the normal rotation.

I'm new to Ann's work, I thought this was decent (3.5 @ best) the art was a little inconsistent though, plus the eyes got a be "all white" throughout the book, not just on the cover, also, i think having an inker would help as well.

Well you have done that frequently in the past, so how about next time try engaging in discussion rather than blaming. Try something new, IMO, talking is a preferable option than putting out negativity. The discussion point is apt and relevant, as it was being discussed if some of the anger towards the Katana title was due at least partially to female creators and female protagonists being in a medium that predominantly celebrates alpha male characters. This even actually goes back to the discussion in the initial fight between Katana and Coil in the book itself, what is/are the "proper" roles of women in that should they be subservient to men or their own person's? It's not my fault or issue if some posters want to attack the messenger rather than addressing the merits of the subject for discussion offered, which relates to what is going on inside the book itself per the author Ms. Nocenti.
    Are you so argumentative by nature that you can't even tell when someone's supporting you?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesProudstar View Post
    X-Men: Legacy

Which is weird because it has been exceptional
    That is true. Let's agree it's VERY rare.
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

Ok my LCS sold out & if I want a copy I have to order one. What I wanted to know is would anyone recommend the book? Or shoul I just skip it?
    "My name is Blink. Who do you THINK is faster?"

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Taste is of course always subjective, but it seems more people liked it and some surprisingly liked it (expecting not to), over those who did not like it. I myself found it to be one of the best first issues of the New 52 so far, of course it remains to be seen if Ms. Nocenti can maintain the standard set forth in this first issue over time.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Earth 2, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

BANNED

Taste is of course always subjective, but it seems more people liked it and some surprisingly liked it (expecting not to), over those who did not like it. I myself found it to be one of the best first issues of the New 52 so far, of course it remains to be seen if Ms. Nocenti can maintain the standard set forth in this first issue over time.
    Except no ones likes it.

You need to be careful that your 'liberal' nature doesn't make you into a sexist. I'm as liberal as they come, but you're accusing us male readers of disliking Nocenti because she's female. I love all sorts of writers, male and female. They all have a thing in common that they are GOOD writers. Nocenti is not a good writer. Don't turn this into something it isn't. Playing the sexist card is like the Hitler card. You lose by default.

Quote Originally Posted by robcastor729 View Post
    Ok my LCS sold out & if I want a copy I have to order one. What I wanted to know is would anyone recommend the book? Or shoul I just skip it?
    If you want a comic with a distinct martial arts/samurai vibe then yes. It's pretty different form your average comic book from a visual standpoint.

Veteran Member

You people are ridiculous getting so pissed about a review. If you liked it fine, if you did'nt also fine.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSimonHurt View Post
    Except no ones likes it.
    Yeah, based on the comments on the issue's thread I would'nt be so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I addressed the merits of the subject in the other thread you claimed people didn't like "Katanna" because they don't like women.

Yeah, same here. But this is all off-topic anyway. The thread is being derailed by one poster calling people who didn't think this was a very good issue sexist, then refusing to engage with the criticisms of their own statements put forth to show how asinine that assertion is. Which is both insulting and illogical. But that's fine, because there's a reason that there's an ignore list function.

Honestly, I was actually surprised by how good the book was, but that was because I didn't expect a three-star book from Nocenti. This has nothing to do with her biology. And Katana is a character I really like, but that doesn't stop this from being a mediocre book. As I said earlier on, I hope that the future issues are better, because I really want the series to have legs and if it maintains this level of quality, it won't.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Except no ones likes it.
    Really? Can you provide the sources as to how "no one(s) likes it"? Or do you simply mean your own singular opinion, which I think is more likely the case. I know for a fact that I have read online more than one positive review. But here, don't believe me I actually can and do provide links, so here's a few:

http://www.comicosity.com/review-katana-1/
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...review&id=5687
    http://weeklycomicbookreview.com/201...tana-1-review/

And as I've stated previously, admittedly there have been reviews all over the map. Some have really liked it, and some have really not. But that is most certainly no indication in any factual sense that "no one(s) likes it."

I'm as liberal as they come, but you're accusing us male readers of disliking Nocenti because she's female.
    I've never accused anyone of the sort. If you'd reread my comments you will notice I said my point of discussion may be relevant to some parties in the most general sense, but there was no blanket statement condemning any totality of a group or anyone specifically in the slightest:

Some readers just seem to consistently have issues around that...
    ...it was being discussed if some of the anger towards the Katana title was due at least partially to female creators and female protagonists being in a medium that predominantly celebrates alpha male characters.
    And last I checked a female can be just as sexist to her own gender, and vice versa with men and their own gender, so there's that too.

P.S.:

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Please note, all of the above is essentially my reply.
    Last edited by batGRRRl4ever; 02-17-2013 at 07:38 PM.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Earth 2, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

I liked the first issue, I'm becoming more selective these days but will be giving Katana a chance for at least the first story arc.

I thought it was a decent first issue and I didn't have any trouble following the storyline unlike some of the other stuff of hers that I have read in the past. Not so sold on the art but it was solid enough but it wasn't in a style that particularly appealed to me.