View Poll Results: How good was Death of the Family?

Voters
186. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • 10 - Best Joker storyline ever

6 3.23%

25 13.44%

47 25.27%

19 10.22%

22 11.83%

16 8.60%

16 8.60%

11 5.91%

7 3.76%
  • 1-I disliked it from start to finish

17 9.14%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJM View Post
    I can't see the voters' names anymore – am I alone?
    The numbers should be a link in red.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    if you click on the number it should take you to the screen where you can view the user names.
    On it now, thanks.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

It was an 8 in the other thread, it's an 8 here. I just reread the whole thing, with some of the choice tie-ins, and I can honestly say I was quite entertained.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJM View Post
    I can't see the voters' names anymore – am I alone?

Click on the number to get the names.

This was an atrocious arc and I feel suckered for sticking with the book after the so-so Court of Owls. For those who liked it or believe that people who didn't like it just wanted an actual death or don't get that the title of the arc was metaphorical...sorry, but this was just a badly written arc, a generic Joker story that played like a softball version of the Joker's greatest hits. As for that metaphorical "death," the Bat-family hardly has an insurmountable wedge driven between them by the end. Since when is it novel for Batman's allies to feel put-out by him? It's one of the oldest tropes of the Bat-books. Nothing happens here that hasn't already happened many times over...unless you want to count the idiotic carelessness Bruce practices in dealing with the Joker. "Hmm...a Joker card in the Bat-cave. Gee, that's troubling. Better go to Arkham as Bruce Wayne and personally show to the Joker just to let him know I found it."

Every issue had serious flaws but I stuck it out, hoping for a decent finale but the last issue was the worst of the bunch. A 1 is all it deserves - and that's just for Capullo's art.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    "Hmm...a Joker card in the Bat-cave. Gee, that's troubling. Better go to Arkham as Bruce Wayne and personally show to the Joker just to let him know I found it."
    Ha ha! Too true.

Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    This was an atrocious arc and I feel suckered for sticking with the book after the so-so Court of Owls. For those who liked it or believe that people who didn't like it just wanted an actual death or don't get that the title of the arc was metaphorical...sorry, but this was just a badly written arc, a generic Joker story that played like a softball version of the Joker's greatest hits. As for that metaphorical "death," the Bat-family hardly has an insurmountable wedge driven between them by the end. Since when is it novel for Batman's allies to feel put-out by him? It's one of the oldest tropes of the Bat-books. Nothing happens here that hasn't already happened many times over...unless you want to count the idiotic carelessness Bruce practices in dealing with the Joker. "Hmm...a Joker card in the Bat-cave. Gee, that's troubling. Better go to Arkham as Bruce Wayne and personally show to the Joker just to let him know I found it."

Every issue had serious flaws but I stuck it out, hoping for a decent finale but the last issue was the worst of the bunch. A 1 is all it deserves - and that's just for Capullo's art.
    This. Exactly this.

So. If the Joker doesn't know who they are - or doesn't care - that makes a lot of the Nightwing tie-in issues preee-eeeeety pointless and contrived, doesn't it?

"God, I hate Nightwing. Better go kill everyone this Dick Grayson guy knows, and turn Significant Figures From His Life into parodies of Nightwing."

Muddled, unfocussed, and over the top - with seemingly no overall plan as to what that story was for. Which surprises me, from Snyder. Say what you will about Court of Owls, at least that was about something.

Also? Shocking and grotesque imagery has it's place, I don't deny it. When the story turns out to be so shallow as it did, it just looks cheap and tawdry and obvious - as if the plot was literally "The Joker Does Some Really Gross Stuff!" In all it's body-stitched, punched-horse-shattering, cat-exploding, finger-severed, face-sliced glory.

Voted 4. Didn't like it, but it's not God-awful - and some sequences were pretty effective. And the post-Alfred Kidnap conversation between Batman and Nightwing was some beautiful characterisation.
    Last edited by Claude; 02-14-2013 at 08:16 PM.

There were a couple moments that were okay, but overall I didn't really care for it.

An 8 out of 10 for me. Points taken off for being overly written too much in some parts and some silly parts that clashed with the tone for me.

Weird poll. I mean I did dislike it from start-to-finish, but good art is an instant 3 points and the story had 'enough' - competently written, if not confidently; beginning, middle, end; clear-cut and not hard to follow ... attempts at symbolism, even if it was hamfisted "LOOK, CHECK OUT MY SYMBOLISM" symbolism and therefore not particularly symbolic.

I gave it a 5.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I rated Death of the Family an 8 of out a possible 10; the art was amazing, and the story was compelling (although I feel that other members may challenge me on this). For someone who never really had a comic book store nearby, I feel the story was accessible to new and regular readers of the Batman series, although I would like Mr. Snyder to spend time on smaller arc stories contained within a single title; after Court of the Owls/Night of the Owls and Death of the Family, Batman and it's corresponding satellite comics need a sense of identity and individualism from one another, and time to build each hero/heroine into their own roles that can eventually be reflected in both their own titles but also in the eventual Bat-family reunion.

Also, I want to see what each Satellite-title writer has to offer for the developement of their corresponding main character, Batman was out for a while while Joker was left with the Robins/Batgirl. All of the solicites for the next 3 or 4(?) issues say that each is dealing with their own form of psychological trauma; I want to see that in their issues, I want to understand what the heck Joker did to Jason's Helmet, how Barbara's going to interact with both her mother and her brother from now on, how Tim's going to lead the Titans, Damian struggling with his identity as both the son of Bruce/Batman and the son of Talia/Court of Shadows, and how Dick's guilt racks his mind on the death of the last reminents of his 'immediate family' at Haley's Circus.

I want a Bat-family that doesn't rely on Batman, but supports him through their own talents and specializations in crime-fighting.

I loved every issue. One of my favourate arcs in a while. I know people have different views to me on this, but frankly I don't get the negativity. Loved it, gave it a 9.

I voted a 6 again. I loved Capullo's art and some parts of the story were okay. Synder can do horror well, even if this wasn't his best work. In the end the story just wasn't as strong as they were billing it to be.

I gave it a 5. Good dialogue and decent action but the plot didn't really deliver anything groundbreaking or new. Actually, the way Batman trumped Joker's devious plot in the end made Joker seem more like a clown than a criminal/homicidal mastermind.