The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Default Anyone else love the Darkshadows/Vampirella Crossover?

I just finished the last comic in the series and, wow, this is what a good action comic can be. It is a cross over where the writer has fun magnifying the differences between the gentile, blue blood Barnabus Collins and the touch, pragmatic kick-ass approach of Vampirella. The two have independent reasons for solving a bunch of murders and disappearances and meet while one the case.

The plot is well paced and has great action. The writer digs into middle ages Transylvanian history for the villain (no, not Dracula) which is cool. They did the same thing for Vampirella versus Dracula. And most of it all, it takes the interesting characters, the cool look at a historical serial murderer, and executes an amazingly fun, cool book. I loved this. I am just bummed the Trade Paperback is not out till May 7.

Dynamite is just killing it.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls

I found it very entertaining. One of the best Vampirella mini-series I've read.
    Michael Pilgaard, fanboy at large
    WeirdSpace, a Multiverse Who's Who, since 2003
    American Comic Books, an index

i didn't love it but it was a lot of fun. Pantha and Quentin getting along was one of the best parts. as long as Dynamite keeps putting out Dark Shadows stuff i'll keep buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robbin View Post
    Dynamite is just killing it.
    I've been pretty disappointed with Dynamite's Vampirella stuff myself. The main book feels like a standard action book not unlike many at say DC, but not too well done, and there hasn't been as much character focused stuff as I'd like. Plus, I'd like some more cheesecake style art and maybe a little humor here and there, but that's my personal taste. Overall the character of Dracula himself has come across as a bit bland to me as well. I haven't read the Dark Shadows crossover though.

Not hating, just putting the criticism out there since I'd like for them to be putting out better stuff, and I think they have potential.
    DROKK IT!!

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    I've been pretty disappointed with Dynamite's Vampirella stuff myself. The main book feels like a standard action book not unlike many at say DC, but not too well done, and there hasn't been as much character focused stuff as I'd like. Plus, I'd like some more cheesecake style art and maybe a little humor here and there, but that's my personal taste. Overall the character of Dracula himself has come across as a bit bland to me as well. I haven't read the Dark Shadows crossover though.

Not hating, just putting the criticism out there since I'd like for them to be putting out better stuff, and I think they have potential.
    I have really enjoyed the Vampirella books so far because I like the interesting demons, the backstabbing, two faced, Vatican agents, and the cool action. It has been good action with lots of well written demons and vampires to kill. But the tone has been a little heavy.

The crossover was lighter at times and had some great, funny action moments and felt a little lighter. The tone was more fun than the main book. The action scenes were really bloody, in a good way, and there was a lot of satisfying kills of evil characters. I think the idea of the mini series is good. It lets other writers take a crack at it and mix it up.

I don't mind Dracula but he is not THE COUNT. He is more a plotting, scheming, double dealing bad guy bent on world domination. He is fun, but not really the Dracula I think of.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls

The curious one.

I enjoyed the mixing of the two vampire worlds, Gothic and Modern.

I haven't particularly enjoyed Vampirella, but really loved this crossover miniseries! Looking forward to Dark Shadows year 1!!!

Its not really interesting. Making some fun with including Pantha and Quentin parts. It is fun but not really the Dracula. Now hope for the best in next...

It took me a while to get into it, but on the whole, good fun.