Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,900

    Default REVIEW: Avengers Arena, #4

    Two Runaways go head to head with the Avengers Academy students after attempting a team up gone wrong in Dennis Hopeless' latest issue of "Avengers Arena."


    Full review here.

  2. #2

    Default

    I stuck with this book for four issues, thinking it had promise. I'm ready to admit I was wrong. It's tedious, uninspired, markets itself on shock value without actually delivering any, and I'm done with it. A guilty pleasure, without the pleasure.

    If you want to read something similar, read Deathmatch from Boom instead which so far (two issues in) is surprisingly excellent.

  3. #3
    Share the Love! Starfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lefthighkick View Post
    If you want to read something similar, read Deathmatch from Boom instead which so far (two issues in) is surprisingly excellent.
    Co-signed. I was seriously surprised at how well crafted that book turned out to be. When it comes to giving a new spin to an already well-worn concept, Deathmatch takes the only viable approach: Go full throttle and have as much fun with the premise as you possibly can. Arena demonstrated that it's not enough to simple chop off any depth Hunger Games and Battle Royale had, drop in some super-powers, and hope that it somehow turns into an exciting story. It's reads way too tame and pedestrian compared to Deathmatch; which also isn't weighed down by having to conform to an pre-established setting. The fact that truly anything can happen works greatly in its favour.

    It's certainly a daring business decision to have two books with such similar concepts come out at pretty much the same time, but if you're in any way interested in that particular sub-genre, there's basically no reason to pick Arena over Deathmatch. It looks to be shaping up to become the sleeper hit no one saw coming.

  4. #4
    Curiosity Seaker Majin Gojira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    It's certainly a daring business decision to have two books with such similar concepts come out at pretty much the same time, but if you're in any way interested in that particular sub-genre, there's basically no reason to pick Arena over Deathmatch. It looks to be shaping up to become the sleeper hit no one saw coming.
    I was saying that since Deathmatch #1 came out, and it still holds true.

    I've already voiced my thoughts on Arena #4 here and there's little else to add other than the lack of Old Lace even being mentioned along with other errors in detail smacks of insufficient research -- another problem Deathmatch cleanly avoids. I'd also remove the comments on the art, having seen a digital copy thanks to Lady A's comparison scan, it removed the muddiness I saw.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

    Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

  5. #5
    File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    12,007

    Default

    Personally while I think this was the rankest segue so far, it's still one of the best books coming out of Marvel right now. Certainly out of Marvel NOW. Well paced, good character exploration, genuinely interesting. The hate this book gets, the nit-picking from folks who were determined TO hate it from the beginning, is laughable. :)

    Seriously there's like two pages of whining over X-23's claws on the main thread, which were wrong in the print version, but not in the digital version. Why? What the hell does it really effect? It's one panel!

    This for me summarises quite why nobody outside of these fragmented fandoms can take the complaints seriously. It's crazy.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

    A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

    Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

  6. #6
    Curiosity Seaker Majin Gojira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sword Is Drawn View Post
    Seriously there's like two pages of whining over X-23's claws on the main thread, which were wrong in the print version, but not in the digital version. Why? What the hell does it really effect? It's one panel!
    It was more pinning down what happened than general bitching that got it to two pages. It was just one mistake out of many, but one everyone was glad to see corrected.

    Please don't strawman like that, it's not healthy .

    Besides, it having no metaphoric/symbolic substance, nor adding anything new or substantive to the genre are far more damning than the nitpicks -- though the sheer volume of apparent mistakes regarding characters that don't really have that much continuity to get wrong in the first place is not a good sign either.
    Last edited by Majin Gojira; 02-14-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

    Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

  7. #7
    Few days on drugs? Lovely pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lefthighkick View Post
    I stuck with this book for four issues, thinking it had promise. I'm ready to admit I was wrong. It's tedious, uninspired, markets itself on shock value without actually delivering any, and I'm done with it. A guilty pleasure, without the pleasure.

    If you want to read something similar, read Deathmatch from Boom instead which so far (two issues in) is surprisingly excellent.
    Same here- I even defended the premise before the book came out. It's not all bad but the writing isn't doing it for me. I'm not a fan of his other work, either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post
    Besides, it having no metaphoric/symbolic substance, nor adding anything new or substantive to the genre are far more damning than the nitpicks -- though the sheer volume of apparent mistakes regarding characters that don't really have that much continuity to get wrong in the first place is not a good sign either.
    Well, you can expect characters to be a bit different under new writers. You can always use the setting as an excuse for what appears to be mischaracterisation.
    Last edited by pepper; 02-14-2013 at 04:31 PM.

  8. #8
    Curiosity Seaker Majin Gojira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    Well, you can expect characters to be a bit different under new writers. You can always use the setting as an excuse for what appears to be mischaracterisation.
    Oh, I know.

    I'm a Cassandra Cain fan, good LORD do I know.

    And if it tells its story well, I can let it slide.

    But it's a lot of little details that go beyond characterization and into how they look and how their powers function. Like: Where's Old Lace? Why does Nico have her old staff with its limitations? Why does Chase have his old Fistigons rather than the ones Joss Whedon created for him? Why does Darkhawk's armor more like an overlay of, well, armor, than the android replacement body from another dimension that it is? Why are the health bars so inconsistent? Where did the cut in Hazmat's Helmet go?

    Some of these could be explained by the dream/VR theory, but there's simply too many for me at least to ignore. Primarily considering that the casts don't have that many appearances to start with, so researching isn't that much of a chore.

    One web comic mocked Arena by stating that, after one of the reviewers in the strip said he had a 100 jokes about Arena alone, his ideas were shot down with the punch line "Well, congratulations, you've put more thought into it than Marvel has."

    And it's the hollowness and the number of these sorts of problems which were the source of that.
    Last edited by Majin Gojira; 02-14-2013 at 05:06 PM.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

    Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

  9. #9
    Few days on drugs? Lovely pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    Those things could be mistakes, or they could be part of the plot... tbh, I don't care enough to find out. MG, you don't seem to be enjoying this book, why not drop it? I am.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Majin Gojira View Post

    I'm a Cassandra Cain fan
    Dam, that's rough. If you need a hug, I'm here for you.

  11. #11
    Curiosity Seaker Majin Gojira's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pepper View Post
    Those things could be mistakes, or they could be part of the plot... tbh, I don't care enough to find out. MG, you don't seem to be enjoying this book, why not drop it? I am.
    I know, it could go either way, but Hopeless has not earned the benefit of the doubt.

    I just read it in my LCS to know what's going on. Have since the beginning. I'm a skeptical trade waiter. Because the Runaways were my introduction to comics, part of me wants to keep an eye on them.

    Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    Dam, that's rough. If you need a hug, I'm here for you.
    I'm good on that front. Hell, part of me is glad she's not in the Nu52. After what happened to Blue Beetle, Teen Titans and Lady Shiva (just to name a few), I think she's better off in Limbo.
    "Curse you, Occam's Razor! You have betrayed me!"

    Reviewing is a lot like paleontology: the evidence is there, but no one seems to agree on it.

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Leocomix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sword Is Drawn View Post
    Personally while I think this was the rankest segue so far, it's still one of the best books coming out of Marvel right now. Certainly out of Marvel NOW. Well paced, good character exploration, genuinely interesting. The hate this book gets, the nit-picking from folks who were determined TO hate it from the beginning, is laughable. :)

    Seriously there's like two pages of whining over X-23's claws on the main thread, which were wrong in the print version, but not in the digital version. Why? What the hell does it really effect? It's one panel!

    This for me summarises quite why nobody outside of these fragmented fandoms can take the complaints seriously. It's crazy.
    Yep, one of the best Marvel Now books. Even without Kevin Walker, Hopeless' strong characterization makes it shine. Don't mind the haters. Sure their criticism rings hollow but they're still there month after month, compelled by the story.

  13. #13

    Default

    Thing is, none of us have spent a dime on the book.

    Read it then just shake my head.

    The Hazmat characterization is the biggest thing that makes me go huh? Where is her tongue? Her and Reptil's meta humor?Why no display of emotion about Mettle's death?

    The fact she just reached semi normal status. And he is breaking them down too early without building her up to make the break much more impactful. Build characters up then break them.
    Currently Reading:
    Avengers, UXM, UA, NA, YA, AA, SSM, Hawkguy, Fearless Defenders,WaTXM, ANXM

  14. #14
    The Slender Man vampiric_cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,686

    Default

    This review is of better quality than most CBR puts out. The only sore point is the repetition of the 'why can't it be out of 616 or Marvel?'. Its worth noting as an audience response, but someone who has that view has not bought into the main premise and won't be reading the book for very long. IF the reaction to the threat is '^&*^ this' or 'meh', the audience member will not read it. If someone reading Empowered thought 'a superhero who got tied up and looked that ridiculous daily wouldn't do this' then they won't enjoy it.

    The issue was the weakest yet but I think its going to a good place.
    Last edited by Joe Acro; 02-17-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    I would like to say for the record that this is the FIRST TIME I've withheld dong when someone was so desperately asking for some.
    Brian C Wood

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •