Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    Yeah, the pie thing? Ok, I understand how it's the only way to communicate with the Captain Universe entity. Also, it's funny in a hip, cool way. However, I feel that I've read and seen it before. It's like how people use "Bob" to name a generic, random character. Ha, sorry, guess I'm just being a jaded fanboy over here.
    I can't think of too many hip pie references in comics. Beyond the Hostess stuff.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    I can't think of too many hip pie references in comics. Beyond the Hostess stuff.
    Seriously... Captain Universe was a hostess pie add begging to be made. Too bad hostess isn't around anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Seriously... Captain Universe was a hostess pie add begging to be made. Too bad hostess isn't around anymore.
    I'd actually like to see a modern Hostess ad penned by Hickman.

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

What are the limits if any to Captain Universe's power? Can she wave a hand and blink a Celestial out of existence?

Captain Universe generally possesses superhuman strength, flight, Uni-Vision (microscopic vision, X-ray vision, and telescopic vision), telekinesis, enhanced senses, and a psychic awareness of imminent danger; when a person already possessing one or more of these abilities was transformed into Captain Universe, those abilities were amplified by vast amounts. Some manifestations of the Uni-Power have demonstrated other, less common abilities as well as failing to exhibit some of the more 'usual' powers, which vary in intensity with each wielder according to the strength and imagination of each. Captain Universe usually possesses the ability of molecular rearrangement of organic and inorganic matter, transmutation of elements, the ability to fire bursts of energy and concussive force, and hypnosis (using the Uni-Vision energy). Possessing its own sentience, the Uni-Power can and will abandon a host if necessary, or if said host uses or intends to use the granted abilities in a detrimental or criminal fashion.
    All stories are imaginary, so you get to decide what's important and what isn't. Continuity is fluid.

-Jeff Brady

Quoted for truth....

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

her codename should be Hostess.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    What are the limits if any to Captain Universe's power? Can she wave a hand and blink a Celestial out of existence?
    It has varied from host to host.

The dog it empowered wasn't as powerful as when Spider-man had it, for instance.

Variance has seemingly been according to assorted factors such as the severity of the problem, scale of existing powers, and the host's adaptability.

In the most recent incarnation - a human male named Gabe, in one of the Annihilation: Conquest minis - it was alluded to as terrifyingly powerful but didn't do anything all that impressive (while still being pretty useful to the Guardians) other than vaporizing a Shi'ar meta of unknown power. It seemed like the host was being held back by being kind of bumbling and reluctant.

In this case, since it's the Uni-power itself in control, I'd imagine we'll see it operating at the full extent of its powers, which we don't know.

I doubt we'll see things like easy KO's of cosmic uberbeings, though.

To use your example, Celestials are just so damn durable - so durable that even some of the most powerful beings in existence have trouble with them - that I can't foresee anything like that. If something like the Council of Godheads can't do that to them, we probably won't see CU do it. That'd be an Infinity-Gauntlet level feat in and of itself.

There are some other limitations.

One mechanic that's been used is that Captain Universe isn't entirely invulnerable. Pretty near impossible to injure physically in a given attack, sure, but use of the powers fatigues the host body at a fundamental level, which in turn gradually impedes the power's functions: if the stress of the situation becomes too great, the Uni-power can be forced from the host.

With whatever weird thing is going with Tamara being the fixed host, I think we might see that adapted as Captain Universe just kind of shutting down and limiting the powers to defensive use when there's a high expenditure of energy. Since it can't hop hosts, it becomes a matter of self-preservation. In that case, no matter how much damage she could do, she'd be limited by having lesser endurance than the other heavy-hitters.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberHubbs View Post
    I'd actually like to see a modern Hostess ad penned by Hickman.
    I do kinda think dude's future is in ad-copy.

I mean, all the stories and such are cool and all, whatever, but have you seen:

I'd sign up.

Hell yes I would.

Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    I'd sign up.

Hell yes I would.
    Heck in Matt Fraction's run on Thor, a small-town preacher DID sign up to see the universe with Galactus.

Quote Originally Posted by PupsOfWar View Post
    I do kinda think dude's future is in ad-copy.

I mean, all the stories and such are cool and all, whatever, but have you seen:

Where is that from?

I want to say I'd sign up, buuuuuut...

-Theophilus

I don't think Cannonball or Sunspot specifically have issues with the Avengers though. They actually seemed pretty excited about joining... I think in their eyes it was a step up.

Which is not to say I don't think there aren't some hard feelings post AvX... but I don't think we're getting that here. I think it's just a matter of Doc Oc being a jerk.
    More Avengers can be jerks than just SS. Hawkeye can also, as well as Tony, so the issues may not be just as easy as walk up and be an Avenger. X-Men have been operating on a different level to Avengers and expect to be told to act immediately, with full force to quickly defeat the enemy, unlike the Avengers who have a sit back and wait and see how the enemy reacts. With mutants it is extinction if you loose, so the fighting style is different just from that stand point. Coming to Avengers, may present a little friction about style.

The thing is, I think for most young heroes the Avengers are sort of viewed as the "big leagues."

And for mutants I'll wager it's especially true given how much difficulty they have had gaining acceptance from the public. Avengers have had their share of problems in that regard as well... but they still get parades in their honor.
    There is an aspect of that, because the Avengers have been the official super team on and off for a long time, while the X-Men are just fighting for survival, because they don't get any breaks in life.
    Last edited by jackolover; 02-16-2013 at 02:18 AM.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Quote Originally Posted by timeismoney View Post
    LOL at this guy he brought up AVX and characterization in the sentence.
    AVX VS had the same problems with characterizations, but I understand its a clash of Lucks between heroes. Anybody can beat anybody in changed circumstance, and AVX was changed circumstance. The thing about it being an Avengers / X-Men clash, is that it was also establishment versus victimized, in both the senses. Being looked on with suspicion, and, the human bigotry. You could say, mutants were seen as the oppressed of the super humans.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Get me Little Debbie's Marketing team on line one.

The thing is, I think for most young heroes the Avengers are sort of viewed as the "big leagues."

And for mutants I'll wager it's especially true given how much difficulty they have had gaining acceptance from the public. Avengers have had their share of problems in that regard as well... but they still get parades in their honor.
    Sunspot has played in the Hellfire club in fact he ran it the Angers working with a man who he called at traitor would not be big leagues. Sam's goal has always been to be in the X-men for him the Avengers would be minor leagues. Both are tremendously loyal to mutants and the Avengers is no place for anyone that is loyal to mutants
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied