Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 80
  1. #46

    Default

    I continue reading:
    Thor
    Indestructible Hulk. Hated 2nd issue but enjoyed issue 3 so I'm back on board.
    All New Xmen. So far so good but have never been able to stay on a Bendis book for long.
    Uncanny Xmen I like Bachalo's art so I'll try a few issues
    Uncanny Avengers Best of the 3 ,or is it 5, Avenger books but will probably cut it loose soon.

    I dropped:
    Iron Man. Just horrible IMHO
    Hawkeye: Read issues 2 and 3 and just don't get why it's so popular.
    Fantastic Four 4 issues was enough.
    All the other Avenger titles.

  2. #47

    Default

    Comics I Like Starting from Best to Worst:

    Love:
    Thor: God of Thunder
    Avengers Assemble

    Enjoy:
    FF
    All New X-Men
    Morbius: The Living Vampire

    Alright:
    Uncanny X-Men
    Red She-Hulk
    Indestructible Hulk
    Uncanny Avengers

    Meh:
    Fantastic Four
    Captain America

    Forgettable:
    Thunderbolts
    Iron Man
    Journey to Mystery

    Garbage:
    Avengers Arena
    New Avengers
    Avengers
    Young Avengers

    Huh, what do you know. I find pretty much all of the Avengers stuff to be garbage (Not including Uncanny Avengers and Avengers Assemble), but they are all garbage in different and unique ways! A. Arena's plot is paper thin and weak and due to the nature of it, I find it pointless to get attached to anyone. NA is terribly boring and contains unlikeable characters, with a touch of predictability and dull art. Avengers is a collection of many problems ranging from pacing to plot to characters. Young Avengers is like Avengers but with worse artwork and terrible dialogue.

    So I only really love two comics from Marvel Now and the biggest comics were almost all complete disappointments to flat out crap. Really disappointed with this relaunch since I was hoping there would have been more for me to love and enjoy. Hopefully, X-Men in April is good.

  3. #48

    Default

    For reference, according to the Marvel NOW! Wikipedia page, the books technically branded under the "Marvel NOW!" branding are anything released after October 2012, along with Daredevil (beginning with #25), Wolverine and the X-Men (beginning with #19), Avengers Assemble (KSD run), Journey Into Mystery (beginning with the Sif issues), and Red She-Hulk (beginning when the title became Red She-Hulk).

    I'd say from what I have read so far:

    1. YOUNG AVENGERS
    2. THE SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN
    3. FF
    4/5/6 (TIE). NEW AVENGERS/AVENGERS ASSEMBLE/ALL-NEW X-MEN
    7/8/9/10 (TIE). AVENGERS ARENA/CABLE AND X-FORCE/UNCANNY X-FORCE/FEARLESS DEFENDERS
    11/12 (TIE). AVENGERS/FANTASTIC FOUR/UNCANNY X-MEN
    12. WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN
    13. IRON MAN

    These are just what I have read.

  4. #49
    Senior Member Paladin King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Comics I Like Starting from Best to Worst:

    Love:
    Thor: God of Thunder
    Avengers Assemble

    Enjoy:
    FF
    All New X-Men
    Morbius: The Living Vampire

    Alright:
    Uncanny X-Men
    Red She-Hulk
    Indestructible Hulk
    Uncanny Avengers

    Meh:
    Fantastic Four
    Captain America

    Forgettable:
    Thunderbolts
    Iron Man
    Journey to Mystery

    Garbage:
    Avengers Arena
    New Avengers
    Avengers
    Young Avengers

    Huh, what do you know. I find pretty much all of the Avengers stuff to be garbage (Not including Uncanny Avengers and Avengers Assemble), but they are all garbage in different and unique ways! A. Arena's plot is paper thin and weak and due to the nature of it, I find it pointless to get attached to anyone. NA is terribly boring and contains unlikeable characters, with a touch of predictability and dull art. Avengers is a collection of many problems ranging from pacing to plot to characters. Young Avengers is like Avengers but with worse artwork and terrible dialogue.

    So I only really love two comics from Marvel Now and the biggest comics were almost all complete disappointments to flat out crap. Really disappointed with this relaunch since I was hoping there would have been more for me to love and enjoy. Hopefully, X-Men in April is good.
    Did you read the last issue of New Avengers or the last two issues of Avengers? I've found that both books improved significantly. Either way, even at their worst, I really can't say I thought they worse than Thunderbolts or Iron Man. Frankly, I'm hard-pressed to think of a worse Marvel N OW book than Thunderbolts.

    I actually thought Young Avengers was a decent enough book, though I really do like McKelvie's artwork. It was just one of those things where it just wasn't my sort of thing. That said, the pacing was also pretty horrible: four exposition-laden pages of Wiccan and Hulkling's talking heads crying at each other, bringing the book to a screeching halt, and a fight between Kid Loki and Miss America that was too vague to really mean anything. Pile that on with the whole Scott Pilgrim-type hipster/super self-consciously cool vibe, and it's just not my thing. Then again, I wasn't high on what I read of Phonogram either, so it's not a huge surprise, I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by DECOMICFAN View Post
    I continue reading:
    Thor
    Indestructible Hulk. Hated 2nd issue but enjoyed issue 3 so I'm back on board.
    All New Xmen. So far so good but have never been able to stay on a Bendis book for long.
    Uncanny Xmen I like Bachalo's art so I'll try a few issues
    Uncanny Avengers Best of the 3 ,or is it 5, Avenger books but will probably cut it loose soon.

    I dropped:
    Iron Man. Just horrible IMHO
    Hawkeye: Read issues 2 and 3 and just don't get why it's so popular.
    Fantastic Four 4 issues was enough.
    All the other Avenger titles.
    I was really kind of non-plussed by Hulk and FF's first two issues, but I feel like both books really came together in their third issues. I went from being kind of disappointed to being pretty high on both books.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:


    WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

  5. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    Did you read the last issue of New Avengers or the last two issues of Avengers? I've found that both books improved significantly. Either way, even at their worst, I really can't say I thought they worse than Thunderbolts or Iron Man. Frankly, I'm hard-pressed to think of a worse Marvel N OW book than Thunderbolts.

    I actually thought Young Avengers was a decent enough book, though I really do like McKelvie's artwork. It was just one of those things where it just wasn't my sort of thing. That said, the pacing was also pretty horrible: four exposition-laden pages of Wiccan and Hulkling's talking heads crying at each other, bringing the book to a screeching halt, and a fight between Kid Loki and Miss America that was too vague to really mean anything. Pile that on with the whole Scott Pilgrim-type hipster/super self-consciously cool vibe, and it's just not my thing. Then again, I wasn't high on what I read of Phonogram either, so it's not a huge surprise, I guess.



    I was really kind of non-plussed by Hulk and FF's first two issues, but I feel like both books really came together in their third issues. I went from being kind of disappointed to being pretty high on both books.
    While I still think Young Avengers is pretty great this is one of the first responses I have seen to it that did not like it but also seemed more accurate for someone who didn't as that it wasn't your style of book and writing. It is a very hipster-y book and the pacing is different, so I definitely accept your opinion here.

    I totally agree that New Avengers and FF have picked up.

    Avengers I still need to catch up but the first two and a half kind of bored me, and this is coming from someone who loved Hickman's F4 and FF.

    I actually think Fantastic Four picked up a little bit in its last issue as well with the ending.

  6. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hostile Kangaroo View Post
    While I still think Young Avengers is pretty great this is one of the first responses I have seen to it that did not like it
    A lot of the Young Avengers praise seem to repeatably come from the same group of posters, which is fine. It's great that Young Avengers has a dedicated fan base. Most other people have stated their dislike and moved on. Go back and read the Young Avengers threads when the book first came out, there was a ton of hate.

    I personally don't understand the appeal of that book, especially over titles like Hawkeye, FF, Daredevil, even USM. But it's all good, I'm happy that people have found a book they can really connect to.
    Last edited by Voss; 02-16-2013 at 11:25 PM.

  7. #52
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    I'm giving Young Avengers another shot but I wasn't really that enthralled. I LOVE JiM, so it should have been a knock out of the park. But I didn't really know much about Hulking, Wiccan, etc. and the issue didn't give me a reason to care about them.

    I wish Gillen would ignore Bendis's junk and just give us Morrison's Noh-Varr. The "space hipster" stuff doesn't cut it for me. I'm not one of those people who always complains about "hispters" that's Gillen's word himself on the character.

  8. #53
    B.P.R.D Agent lex1126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    245

    Default

    only 2 for me. hawkeye and deadpool. not much a marvel guy to begin with, but the art in both books has got me collecting them

    others are just meh.

  9. #54
    Daft Member Karl Cook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Here, there and everywhere.
    Posts
    12,897

    Default

    1. Deadpool
    R.I.P. Don't pee in the (Dead)pool, November 2007 - January 2013

  10. #55
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    553

    Default

    Just going to rank the ones I read. Thinking of picking up Indestructible Hulk, but haven't moved on it yet. X-Men's going on my pull list when it's released. I don't really consider Daredevil and Wolverine and the X-Men Marvel Now! titles. I think that's really nothing more than attempt to boost sales through branding, not actually an indication of either book changing even the slightest bit. If I were to place them, Daredevil would be above Secret Avengers by a smidge and Wolverine and the X-Men would be between Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny Avengers.

    1. All New X-Men
    2. Thor, God of Thunder
    3. Secret Avengers
    4. Avengers
    5. FF
    6. X-Men Legacy
    7. New Avengers
    8. Uncanny X-Men
    9. Cable and X-Force
    10. Fearless Defenders
    11. Young Avengers
    12. Uncanny X-Force
    13. Uncanny Avengers

  11. #56
    Senior Member Paladin King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hostile Kangaroo View Post
    While I still think Young Avengers is pretty great this is one of the first responses I have seen to it that did not like it but also seemed more accurate for someone who didn't as that it wasn't your style of book and writing. It is a very hipster-y book and the pacing is different, so I definitely accept your opinion here.

    I totally agree that New Avengers and FF have picked up.

    Avengers I still need to catch up but the first two and a half kind of bored me, and this is coming from someone who loved Hickman's F4 and FF.

    I actually think Fantastic Four picked up a little bit in its last issue as well with the ending.
    I still have no idea what to make of Fantastic Four #3. On the one hand, it definitely felt improved in that it had a little more heft to it. It was more character-focused, so it felt less mediocre/forgettable and a bit heavier and more significant. On the other hand, I ended up finding Reed to be more creepy and unsettlingly obsessive and perhaps morally ambiguous than I felt fully comfortable with. I'm also still not sure how I feel about Fractin's Ben: on the one hand, he's an over the top caricature of himself that feels way out of date. On the other hand, it's so goofy and over the top that it's kind of fun.

    I will say for sure however that Fraction's depiction of the kids is a major step back. Val in particular has been dumbed down to the point of being near unrecognizable and far, far more two-dimensional.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:


    WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

  12. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    Did you read the last issue of New Avengers or the last two issues of Avengers? I've found that both books improved significantly. Either way, even at their worst, I really can't say I thought they worse than Thunderbolts or Iron Man. Frankly, I'm hard-pressed to think of a worse Marvel N OW book than Thunderbolts.
    I have read the last issue of New Avengers and that's why it's ranked so low. I really did enjoy the first issue of it, but second issue was like crashing into a brick wall. All momentum and excitement was brought to a dead stop by boring and tedious dialogue by characters who did nothing to really interest me. The third issue I hoped would be good to make up for it (I've read comics were they managed to bounce back a bad issue), but again, dull dialogue, uninteresting characters that now turned unlikeable, though with a touch of predictability and artwork that was rather lackluster. I'll keep going with it despite the problems because I want to be impressed.

    As for Thunderbolts, I only read the first issue of it and was left unimpressed, so that's why I don't hate it like others who continued to read more of it.

  13. #58
    Junior Member Etoma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Zambia, Africa
    Posts
    439

    Default

    1-Thor: God of Thunder
    2-New Avengers
    3-Ucanny Avengers
    4-Young Avengers
    5-Hawkeye

    I tend to follow writers over characters and the books listed above are written by my favorite marvel writers.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
    .

  14. #59
    Senior Member Paladin King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,576

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    I have read the last issue of New Avengers and that's why it's ranked so low. I really did enjoy the first issue of it, but second issue was like crashing into a brick wall. All momentum and excitement was brought to a dead stop by boring and tedious dialogue by characters who did nothing to really interest me. The third issue I hoped would be good to make up for it (I've read comics were they managed to bounce back a bad issue), but again, dull dialogue, uninteresting characters that now turned unlikeable, though with a touch of predictability and artwork that was rather lackluster. I'll keep going with it despite the problems because I want to be impressed.

    As for Thunderbolts, I only read the first issue of it and was left unimpressed, so that's why I don't hate it like others who continued to read more of it.
    Hah shows you how subjective things are. I thought the first issue was generally a disaster and that it's gotten progressively better with each issue.

    Then again, I've never had any aversion to "chatty" comics, so that's probably a big part of it.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:


    WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

  15. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    Hah shows you how subjective things are. I thought the first issue was generally a disaster and that it's gotten progressively better with each issue.

    Then again, I've never had any aversion to "chatty" comics, so that's probably a big part of it.
    I don't mind chatty comics personally, but I would like it if the dialogue didn't feel so dry or lifeless. Saucer Country is a very chatty comic I'm currently reading, but everything sounds so natural and realistic with a touch of life and wit to it.



    Anyhow, I read another comic today from Marvel Now called The Fearless Defenders. It falls into the enjoyable category on my list, right above Morbius. Hopefully it continues to stay there or get better.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •