Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Eh. MJ's schtick is kinda that she's a super model, and she's always been Miss Flirty Sassy Pants. I'm not saying it's necessarily right, but if anyone in the comics world were to have that kinda body, it'd be her, and if there were ever any girl in comics who'd tease her man working it like that while doing the laundry... It'd be her lol. I think it's totally in character.

Granted, one has to have a certain awareness of the character before they're able to appreciate that fact, and because the majority of people buying the statue probably aren't it DOES rely on it's sexist portrayal of women pretty heavily, but as a huge MJ fan I've gotta say that might be one of my favorite pieces of Mary Jane artwork >_>.
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    Everyone craves sex, otherwise the human race wouldn't survive. Sex sells. It's not sexism, it's reality.
    Yeah, not to mention Mary Jane would want to be sexy for Peter, so these complaiments are just silly. It's like people don't know what couples do to each other.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

No time for white drama Ballard Blues's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LJ-90 View Post
    Edward Cullen. Jacob Black.
    Yep, and they're only one type of the Female Fantasy.
    “For the natural born smartass, nine times out of ten
    the "smartass impulse" is acted upon before the brain
    has even engaged in first gear.”
    - Stephen King?

Elder Member

Ahem

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Ahem

So don't feel insecure because of the Hulk or Captain America or Batman, feel insecure about Spider-Man or Nightwing or Green Arrow?

BANNED

Ahem

I feel no power from looking at a muscular dude, ok?

And by the way, Spider-Man and Nightwing both fit that description.

So does Michael Keaton who played Batman in the films.

I'm with a girl now called Katy and she's coming up with all sorts of superheroes that she sees as attractive. She thinks your post is stupid. Her words, not mine. She says that any woman who doesn't find Superman attractive must be a lesbian. Lol.

I think the whole concept of sexism is kind of overblown and a waste of good brain power. Sex is literally the most natural thing the human race does. Quite literally without it we wouldn't exist. Human beings are also hardcoded to be attracted to quote "sexy" endquote individuals. Women with large breasts and wide hips may be viewed as the perfect body image for women, but only because it roots back to giving birth and keeping the human species alive. Obesity isn't viewed as unsexy because it's "gross" or "disgusting", it's because it's unhealthy and usually leads to a shortened lifespan. This again goes back to motherhood and keeping the human race going because if everyone was obese there would be lots of birthing complications, resulting in a diminished population, and shortened lifespans resulting incomplete family dynamics and abandoned young.

Women should not be offended by an image of a young, thin, attractive girl with large ample breasts and an overall sexy appearance, because it's the body image that is best suited for the human race to survive. Some women argue that it offends them because it's an impossible body image to gain. This is untrue, because there are thousands of models and even average every day women who have these types of bodies and they achieved them somehow.

I probably sounds like an asshole right now, but in reality I'm just telling the truth. While we as a species may not even THINK about having children and keeping humanity strong when we look at a sexy girl, our loins are, and reproduction is the ONLY reason our loins are interested. The rest is made up in our head as PART of the reproductive process. If humans relied on instinct alone to reproduce, we wouldn't have many (if not all) of the intelligence and freedoms we take for granted. Our species has become lazy over the last couple thousand years, relying on tools and luxuries to survive, and we lost the natural instinct to just hook up with a mate and have babies. So, through evolution, or whatever you wanna call it, we now rely on a the visual aspect to begin the reproductive cycle.

I'm not offended by women ogling tall, muscular, fit men, because I know and understand they are just listening to their bodies, and their bodies are telling them "this fit male has great genes for passing down to my offspring", even if all they are thinking about is "That guy is hawt, I wanna succumb to public scrutiny and be known as a slut..." Am I jealous of said muscle man? Yes, of course, but that doesn't mean I am going to be offended by his appearance. Just like insecure girls shouldn't look at a freaking statue and shout "SEXISM!!!" They should be admiring the statue as an homage to a great human form, and more importantly, they should be admiring the artwork that the sculptor put into it.

I do apologize if I have offended anyone in this post, but please freaking grow up and learn to love your body instead of hating on people that are "more attractive than you".
    Last edited by Balfro; 02-19-2013 at 08:22 AM.
    All-New Ultimates • Earth 2 • Harley Quinn • Injustice • Invincible • Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man • Real Heroes • The Walking Dead • Ultimate FF

Ahem
    So you can't defend your views and you think a web comic can answer your stance? Jesus christ, people find many things sexy, it's not a single view that's universal. If she needs her Batman to look more cute, than she can dig Dick-Bats.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Am I the only guy who likes Lafuente's art better than any other Ultimate artist's? How could anyone not like his art? It fit the series so well. It's got a really clean look to it and it definitely jumps off the page.. Go look at the last page of UCSM #152. Or look at almost any issue and look at all the awesome drawings of Peter flying through the air with his back pack on. Or what about the issue where Chameleon posed as Spidey and toted an AK? Yeah, he occasionally made Peter look a little bit too tiny, but part of what makes his art cool is the exxageration of features... like his Kingpin was awesome. He also had hands down the cutest MJ, and his Gwen and Kitty were great too. And what about his Mysterio? By making Mysterio look so cool, he made him more believable as a real threat. That was important because he became such a major villain.
    http://trallis.blogspot.com/
    A blog about high adventure and comic book collecting

No time for white drama Ballard Blues's Avatar

I don't think I've see so many people miss the point of an argument before, most specially in the breath of 500 words or more. /sarcasm

Oh, wait, I'm on a comic book forum, yes I have. It's only second place to video game communities in missing the point in the argument against sexism and objectification of female characters.
    “For the natural born smartass, nine times out of ten
    the "smartass impulse" is acted upon before the brain
    has even engaged in first gear.”
    - Stephen King?

Quote Originally Posted by Ballard Blues View Post
    Oh, wait, I'm on a comic book forum, yes I have. It's only second place to video game communities in missing the point in the argument against sexism and objectification of female characters.
    Well you sure have a strong argument to back up your claim. ;D
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    Am I the only guy who likes Lafuente's art better than any other Ultimate artist's? How could anyone not like his art? It fit the series so well. It's got a really clean look to it and it definitely jumps off the page.. Go look at the last page of UCSM #152. Or look at almost any issue and look at all the awesome drawings of Peter flying through the air with his back pack on. Or what about the issue where Chameleon posed as Spidey and toted an AK? Yeah, he occasionally made Peter look a little bit too tiny, but part of what makes his art cool is the exxageration of features... like his Kingpin was awesome. He also had hands down the cutest MJ, and his Gwen and Kitty were great too. And what about his Mysterio? By making Mysterio look so cool, he made him more believable as a real threat. That was important because he became such a major villain.
    Me too I absolutely love his art, but I can never find wallpaper quality pics

Quote Originally Posted by Ballard Blues View Post

I don't think I've see so many people miss the point of an argument before, most specially in the breath of 500 words or more. /sarcasm

Ok, so what is the point of the argument? My understanding is that some individuals are offended by the existence of the MJ statue because it objectifies women. Now, putting the obvious fact that a statue is in fact an object aside, what else is the argument?
    All-New Ultimates • Earth 2 • Harley Quinn • Injustice • Invincible • Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man • Real Heroes • The Walking Dead • Ultimate FF

Double-Post

I think Kurt Busiek describes this situation best: http://eschergirls.tumblr.com/post/3...-depictions-of

What you’re actually talking about, I think, is how female characters are often sexualized in exaggerated ways that have little or nothing to do with telling a story or revealing character. I think that’s Doing Comics Wrong. Not because of the sexualizing or the unrealistic aspects — I think there’s a place for sexy bombshells in comics just as there’s a place for timid wallflowers, and we’ve already covered realism — but because comics are all about telling a story, and if the story you’re telling is undercut and derailed by the tough, no-nonsense nuclear physicist or the motherly, bookish rabbi looking, posing and dressing like a Victoria’s Secret model, then the art isn’t telling the story.

I believe in telling the story. My complaint is that variety is necessary to storytelling. When artists draw all the women to look like they’re auditioning for a Vegas chorus line, it gets in the way of storytelling. It even gets in the way of making the characters who are supposed to be sexy look sexy, because if Kitty Pryde looks like a stripper, where do you go to make the White Queen look sexier and vampier? Make her even more so? Doesn’t take long down that road to hit “ridiculous.”

Comics need range. When it comes to portraying women, as in so many other things, comics need a wide range of portrayals. That includes “sexy bombshell.” But when that’s overwhelmingly the part of the range you get over and over and over again, it stops working even at what it’s intended to do. It makes it harder for female characters to be characters with range and personality, even the sexy bombshells among them. And it chases away readers who aren’t interested in that sort of portrayal, if it’s all they see.

I support variety. I support range. I support characterization and storytelling, and treating characters, male and female, as individuals, who act like themselves, not like any one repetitive portrayal, no matter what it is.
    I don't think that anyone could argue against the fact that Mary Jane is someone who NEEDS to be sexy. Part of her and Peter's relationship together's charm is that, to the outsider looking in, she's WAY out of his league. She's a super model, and again, she's Miss Flirty Sassy Pants. I don't think there's anything wrong with the statue, as she's clearly teasing Peter just off camera. Mary Jane's gotta be one of the strongest female leads in comics today and I don't think the fact that she's a redheaded bombshell besides denigrates her character in the slightest.
    Marriage Era Spidey bashers are shameful opportunists (Like you REALLY didn't enjoy a single Spidey comic in 20 years)
    Conversely, BND haters REALLY need to get over their continuity elitism already