Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default My family and friends aren't so supporting towards this new hobby of mine..

RANT WARNING:

Every time my mom see's me on either this site, or mycomicshop she feels the need to tell me that I'm wasting my money on comic books, and that I should save up towards things more important. Same goes with my father, even though he has comics and some valuable ones, he feels the need to tell me the same thing, and also that I'm buying worthless ones. And also same goes with my friends, actually they also make fun of me for it. I can care less about what they say really, But no one so far is supportive or understanding as to why I'm collecting them. Really right now I'm only collecting the older ones, mainly because the art, I love the art of the older comics, I'm not a big fan of the new ones.. But I do someday want to spend a ton of money on one comic book, so I atleast have ONE that's worth money and will eventually go up in value as the time goes by. Is it because I'm young? I just don't understand why they have to put me down on something that makes me so happy. The most expensive comic book that I plan on buying is Iron Man 1968 series #60 FN/VF.. which is 6 dollars.. How do I go about explaining this to them? They know it makes me happy, and it's also my hard earned money.. I've always been into collecting things and they didn't care, but why so much with comics? I've collected cards, such as yugioh and star wars action figures (during my younger years though) This is why I like being part of CBR, I have support from you guys no matter what issue I'm buying or whatever. It's not like I'm spending my whole damn paycheck on comic books. I've never been this set on collecting something and that has made me this happy.

It really bums me out to the point where I just want to hide this hobby, and not tell anyone, and somehow secretly buy comics so I don't have to hear my parents give me shit.

Has any of you ever experienced this with family/friends? If so how can I explain to them why I like this hobby so much?

Only when I was a child. How old are you?

EDIT: Oh, 19? Yeah, then stop caring what they think.
    Last edited by Paradox; 02-03-2013 at 01:51 AM.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Start buying Tarot comics. That'll get them off your back.

Seriously. The right collection of cheesecake comics - from Zenescope or Aspen or whoever - will make all your problems go away.
    Last edited by Arvandor; 02-03-2013 at 01:51 AM.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

Do they have a point? Are you spending your entire weekly paycheck on comics? Are you ignoring friends and family? Is your room literally filled with long boxes?

If they don't, just point out that that Iron Man #60 is going to cost you less than a movie ticket.

If your friends give you grief just point out their dumb hobbies (you can bet they have them.)
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post

EDIT: Oh, 19? Yeah, then stop caring what they think.
    According to his profile: 19. So not a kid but his parents may still be adjusting to that fact.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Going to be 20 in may. Yet I feel as if I'm being treated as a child when it comes to this subject, and it really gets on my nerves. The other day my mother was on my case about it and I kinda raised my voice at her telling her that it shouldn't matter what I spend my money on, as long as it makes me happy. Of course I've done this after she has started.. like weeks ago. I've tried explaining that it makes me happy and that she shouldn't be worrying about what her adult son is buying with his own money.

I really just don't get it.

Why should they be supportive if they don't give a damn or if they think that it's not a good thing for you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    Do they have a point? Are you spending your entire weekly paycheck on comics? Are you ignoring friends and family? Is your room literally filled with long boxes?

If they don't, just point out that that Iron Man #60 is going to cost you less than a movie ticket.

If your friends give you grief just point out their dumb hobbies (you can bet they have them.)
    Ha, well at this point I've only got like.. seven comics.. 4 from which I bought at barnes and noble, spent 15 dollars on them. And 3 TDP The Walking Dead comics which were given to me as a gift awhile back. And when it comes to my friends.. I don't know really, to be honest I don't exactly fit in with my friends. My friends consist of like.. 3 groups let's say, that I hang out with often. A few are super jocks, a few are rednecks.. and a few are stoners..

Before I had started hanging out with them I was that kid staying in the house playing diablo 2 and playing xbox. Huge gamer I be. I've always been what I'd call myself a nerd. Most of my interests are alot different than my friends.. which makes it hard to talk to them about what I like to do. Like today, I was with a friend and my text notification tone is "My spidey sense is tingling" and my friend turned at me and called me names.. I don't let it bother me, I make fun of them for weird shit they like, but it's usually me being attacked when it comes to my interests because they're so much different than the people that I hang out with.

@Paradox, I wish it was that easy, but my mother feels the need to tell me every time she see's me doing anything comic book related.

@Addams, I think you're missing the point here. They nag me with anything I do comic book related, constantly telling me its a waste of money. If they didn't care that'd be great, I wouldn't have to hear shit from them about it, which I'd like.
    Last edited by Robo413; 02-03-2013 at 02:05 AM.

Dude, 20 years old, you're quite old enough to tell them to go f*ck themselves.

Well, don't say it like that to your mom of course lol but you get the idea.

Paradox has the right of it. 19 is old enough to not care what your parents or friends think of your hobby. I mean seriously, you say they haven't been supportive of you in your hobby of collecting comics, but why do you need them to be?

As far as your parents go, part of the concern there, especially from your mother it sounds like, may be that they're afraid you'll spend all your money on comics and won't be able to afford to move out when the time comes. It's a valid concern to an extent, but give that you apparently own a grand total of seven comics valued at around $15, she seems to be jumping the gun. She must really want you to move out, but can't bring herself to just come out and say it.

As for your father, no offense but he sounds like the worst kind of collector. He seriously told you that one of his main concerns about your buying comics is that you're only buying "worthless" ones? Seems he doesn't get that there's more to comics than monetary value. We tend to mock that kind around here. Mock them mercilessly. They deserve it.

As for your friends, a certain level of ball-busting is to be expected, but if they're taking their mocking of your hobby beyond friendly teasing you may need to question if they're really your friends. If they're not, then nut the fuck up, stop being so senstive and give back as good as you get.
    Last edited by Donald M.; 02-03-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    Why should they be supportive if they don't give a damn or if they think that it's not a good thing for you ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Addams View Post
    Dude, 20 years old, you're quite old enough to tell them to go f*ck themselves.

Well, don't say it like that to your mom of course lol but you get the idea.
    Oh I have, I told my mother that it shouldn't matter, and that yeah, I am about 20, and that I'm using my money, that I had worked for to buy comic books, which doing so, makes me happy. I thought she'd get the point, nope. She also goes on telling me that the comics I buy are worthless, and wont go up in price.
    Honestly, I can care less. I buy them for the art, and just the feeling of owning old comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    Paradox has the right of it. 19 is old enough to not care what your parents or friends think of your hobby. I mean seriously, you say they haven't been supportive of you in your hobby of collecting comics, but why do you need them to be?

As far as your parents go, part of the concern there, especially from your mother it sounds like, may be that they're afraid you'll spend all your money on comics and won't be able to afford to move out when the time comes. It's a valid concern to an extent, but give that you apparently own a grand total of seven comics valued at around $15, she seems to be jumping the gun. She must really want you to move out, but can't bring herself to just come out and say it.

As for your father, no offense but he sounds like the worst kind of collector. He seriously told you that one of his main concerns about your buying comics is that you're only buying "worthless" ones? Seems he doesn't get that there's more to comics than monetary value. We tend to mock that kind around here. Mock them mercilessly. They deserve it.

As for your friends, a certain level of ball-busting is to be expected, but if they're taking their mocking of your hobby beyond friendly teasing you may need to question if they're really your friends. If they're not, then nut the fuck up, stop being so senstive and give back as good as you get.
    Well I guess I have worded my topic wrong, because I know where you guys are coming from about the whole supporting thing, I don't want them to be like looking for comics for me or whatever. I just want them to be understanding. For my mother.. she doesn't want me to move out, well atleast. My mother is ill and has MS, so whenever dad is at work, and I'm not, I gotta help her do some certain house chores, and outdoor chores. So I really don't think the money towards moving out thing is a concern. As for my dad, he never collected comic books. My great grandfather on my mother's side had owned the comics, and when he had passed, my great grandmother had given his collection to my father. But that also bothers me, my father knows clearly that I'm into collecting comic books, I've asked him if I can have them, and that I would even bag and board every single one. He said no. I even offered to BUY them. Still, no. I just don't get it.. ha.

EDIT: As for my friends.. It's usually just the ball busting type of teasing. But they also agree its a waste. But they're not as bad as my parents. Ha.
    Last edited by Robo413; 02-03-2013 at 02:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robo413 View Post
    Well I guess I have worded my topic wrong, because I know where you guys are coming from about the whole supporting thing, I don't want them to be like looking for comics for me or whatever. I just want them to be understanding.
    Nope, I understood exactly what you meant when you said you wanted them to support your hobby and my answer is the same, why do you need them to?

EDIT: As for my friends.. It's usually just the ball busting type of teasing. But they also agree its a waste.
    Friends teasing friends is one thing, when the teasing starts turning into opinions is when you become wary. Why should they care if you "waste" your money on comics? Maybe they'd rather you spend your money buying them beer and weed? Yeah, that's probably exactly it. Don't bring up the subject of comics with they and they'll get bored and move on. It's not about hiding your hobby, it's about not boring people with your hobbies when they aren't interested.
    Last edited by Donald M.; 02-03-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    Nope, I understood exactly what you meant when you said you wanted them to support your hobby and my answer is the same, why do you need them to?

So that they'll stop harassing me about buying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robo413 View Post
    So that they'll stop harassing me about buying them.
    Make it clear you don't care what they think and most likely they eventually will.