Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I thought it was a HC reprinting, too, but yeah, you're right. That's quite a big book for a SC, although the Complete Deadenders was around the same size.

http://www.amazon.com/Lucifer-Book-O...=lucifer+carey
    I'm wondering why they are going this route instead of just reprinting the trades. Is it cheaper to just produce fewer volumes?

Quote Originally Posted by henryfish View Post
    I'm wondering why they are going this route instead of just reprinting the trades. Is it cheaper to just produce fewer volumes?
    No idea. If I had to guess, I'd say that the abundance of material makes it more inticing to pick up, especially for a series that's over, but Vertigo's expectations for this series didn't merit a HC edition. They did something similiar for The Losers.

There....really isn't any Vertigo at the moment. Everything is either ending or near-ending. The exception is American Vampire, which I'd definitely recommend. It's Scott Snyder's break-out work and it's on hiatus right now, giving you plenty of time to catch up.

That said, if you're willing to pick up trades of older runs, Vertigo has some "must-reads" for any comics fan, as it was the place where many of the greatest writers in comics did their magnum opuses. Garth Ennis' Preacher, Warren Ellis' Transmetropolitan, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, Brian K. Vaughan's Y: the Last Man, Grant Morrison's Invisibles (Doom Patrol is great too!), Jason Aaron's Scalped, and Jeff Lemire's recently concluded Sweet Tooth. That's roughly my order of preference too, come to think of it.

Some will mention Brian Wood's DMZ and Bill Willingham's Fables, no doubt, and those books definitely meet the profile of being their best works. However, I felt that DMZ got slower and slower and preachier and preachier, with the main character getting progessively whinier. As for Fables, many, including myself, believe that Fables was fantastic for years, but then reached the series' natural end-point that it'd been building up to since issue 1. But Willingham just decided to keep going forever, and the series has never been as good. There are currently 18 (!) trades, but if you just treat vol. 11 as the final one, I'd probably include Fables in my list.

A lot of people would probably also mention Brian Azzarello's 100 Bullets (again, another big writer's best work). The only reason I left it off is because, well, I've somehow never read it. I have the first 5 volumes on my shelf and will get to them one day.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    There....really isn't any Vertigo at the moment. Everything is either ending or near-ending. The exception is American Vampire, which I'd definitely recommend. It's Scott Snyder's break-out work and it's on hiatus right now, giving you plenty of time to catch up.
    Don't forget The Unwritten. That to me is the last book of the Swamp Thing/Sandman Vertigo movement.

Yeah, The Unwritten is Vertigo's finest current book, and I think it compares favorably with the other greats.

I've heard rumors that we'll be hearing about a new wave of Vertigo books in the coming months, including Collider, which has been MIA.

I'm reading Jason Aaron's Scalped, I can't believe I missed out on this. Very well written, art is gritty and dark so an acquired taste but fits the story nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Don't forget The Unwritten. That to me is the last book of the Swamp Thing/Sandman Vertigo movement.
    I really don't know what happened with me and the Unwritten. I absolutely LOVED it when it first came out. Thought it was the best book on the shelves. But I slowly sort of became bored and fell out of love with it until I ultimately dropped it around issue 23. I'll get to it in trades one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by New Cap Fan View Post
    I'm reading Jason Aaron's Scalped, I can't believe I missed out on this. Very well written, art is gritty and dark so an acquired taste but fits the story nicely.
    It's the main reason why I'll read anything Jason Aaron does, regardless of publisher or whatever. I devoured the first four trades during a heatwave, which was perfect, given how dusty and dirty the book feels. Aaron told me on Facebook right after Scalped ended that he's currently working on a creator-owned miniseries. He didn't say if it was going to be Vertigo though, only that he wanted to wait till it was further along before soliciting or announcing it.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

I really don't know what happened with me and the Unwritten. I absolutely LOVED it when it first came out. Thought it was the best book on the shelves. But I slowly sort of became bored and fell out of love with it until I ultimately dropped it around issue 23. I'll get to it in trades one of these days.

It's the main reason why I'll read anything Jason Aaron does, regardless of publisher or whatever. I devoured the first four trades during a heatwave, which was perfect, given how dusty and dirty the book feels. Aaron told me on Facebook right after Scalped ended that he's currently working on a creator-owned miniseries. He didn't say if it was going to be Vertigo though, only that he wanted to wait till it was further along before soliciting or announcing it.
    That is great news! I won't make the same mistake twice by missing out. Thanks for the info.

BANNED

I just read the first two trades and it quickly became my favorite current book. I hope it continues to read well in trade and isn't just padding without direction.

He had said earlier he was planning another Vertigo project, but who knows if the plans changed.

I like Jason Aaron, but Wolverine and the X-Men has become a disappointment. I know people like Thor: GOT, but I can't stand that character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I know people like Thor: GOT, but I can't stand that character.
    Have you read it? I'm loving Thor:GOT. Dug back into a lot of older Thor, looking for more stuff to read - it was all terrible. So even if you hated old Thor, this is pretty different stuff. Feels more like Gillen on JiM. Epic & not very "superhero-y".

BANNED

I read the first issue, which was good, but I didn't think it was great the way people do here. I'm guessing it's gotten even better now?

As for previous Thor, I did think JMS's run was good. I've yet to read Kirby and Simonson's Thor runs - I feel like that's the kind of thing more up my alley.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Sandman Mystery Theatre
    Seven Miles a Second
    Girl
    Brave Old World
    Vertigo Pop: Tokyo & London
    Skreemer (One of Milligan and Ewins's finest comic)
    Deadenders
    The Quitter
    American Splendor
    Can't Get No
    The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr. Punch
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!