Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend

Default Recommend

Iím reading a lot of the New 52 titles, but Iím curious to learn more about the Vertigo-lineup, as I would like to read some more mature titles as well. What ongoing titles would you recommend for me, and where is a good starting-point at these titles?

Also, I see that the Vertigo-titles sell less than other DC-titles. A New 52 title is likely to be cancelled when it reaches 15000 or so, but most Vertigo-titles sell less than this. How is this possible?
    If my words and grammar are not correct, that's because English is not my native language! My English would have been far worse if I hadn't read original comics for decades though!

Current ongoings? There are only five at the moment. One of them is The Unwritten, two of them are ending (Hellblazer and Saucer Country) and the last two are Fables related.

Out of these I'd recommend Hellblazer and The Unwritten the most. Starting points are the first issues (or any of the first issues of a Hellblazer runs, #251 for the latest run).

Dem trades are the answer for your last question.
    Last edited by Billy Batson; 02-13-2013 at 03:57 AM.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Mindworm View Post
    Also, I see that the Vertigo-titles sell less than other DC-titles. A New 52 title is likely to be cancelled when it reaches 15000 or so, but most Vertigo-titles sell less than this. How is this possible?
    The Vertigo cancellation line is ~7-8,000 per month. They simply have different expectations. Vertigo is niche, low volume, "indy" comics. But yeah, the current state of Vertigo ongoings is pretty slim, there should be a few more mini-series, maxi-series, and ongoings coming at some point this year, but your best bet is to dig into the old Vertigo classics in trades (or Comixology single issues, or eBay runs).

Classics: Preacher (Garth Ennis), Y: The Last Man (Brian K Vaughan), Sandman (Neil Gaiman), Transmetropolitan (Warren Ellis), Invisibles (Grant Morrison), Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison), Swamp Thing (Alan Moore), old Hellblazer (Jamie Delano, Garth Ennis & others).

Some pretty big names, no? A good number of the all time greatest comics writers have written great things for Vertigo over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by NCatron View Post
    The Vertigo cancellation line is ~7-8,000 per month. They simply have different expectations. Vertigo is niche, low volume, "indy" comics. But yeah, the current state of Vertigo ongoings is pretty slim, there should be a few more mini-series, maxi-series, and ongoings coming at some point this year, but your best bet is to dig into the old Vertigo classics in trades (or Comixology single issues, or eBay runs).

Classics: Preacher (Garth Ennis), Y: The Last Man (Brian K Vaughan), Sandman (Neil Gaiman), Transmetropolitan (Warren Ellis), Invisibles (Grant Morrison), Doom Patrol (Grant Morrison), Swamp Thing (Alan Moore), old Hellblazer (Jamie Delano, Garth Ennis & others).

Some pretty big names, no? A good number of the all time greatest comics writers have written great things for Vertigo over the years.
    agree with everything said here, but would add Sweet Tooth to the mix of trades to look at.

A number of the classic titles mentioned were envisioned as maxi series, so there's a bit more leeway to tell the whole story of course.

Daytripper

Preacher

Transmetropolitan

100 Bullets

Fables

Y the Last Man

Out of those only Fables is currently an ongoing. Preacher, 100 Bullets and Y the Last Man have been reprinted in hardcovers, Fables is currently being reprinted that way too, but if you start collecting it, you'll probably want to complete the HCs with TPBs (the gap between the two is still quite big). Transmetropolitan is in TPBs.

Daytripper I recommend the most - a great self-contained story in 10 issues in a TPB.
    Last edited by passer-by; 02-13-2013 at 07:48 AM.

100 Bullets is still being collected in hardcovers though.
    BB

Yes, but if I had added that, the sentence would have become too complicated. :p
    Besides, vol.4 is out in April and 5 probably around September/October.

That's because they're not the same. If titles sold less than DC titles from any publisher, there would be nothing on the stands. Vertigo titles can and so sell less because that is the nature of mature comics, and on top of that it's more about creator-owned, not about large franchises that have been built up over decades in some cases.

The only Vertigo title I'll ever recommend seriously is Sandman Mystery Theatre, which is pretty much out of print now, but is being re-released at the rate of an issue a week (mostly) on ComiXology. I've not really read any others.

In addition to what NCatron said, Vertigo books survive on trades sales, which can be very respectable even many years after the series ended. But only if it actually ended and wasn't prematurely canceled.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Thanks for all the recommendations! Looks like there’s plenty of stuff here that I would like to check out!
    If my words and grammar are not correct, that's because English is not my native language! My English would have been far worse if I hadn't read original comics for decades though!

Wanderer of Kildre Hill eDKeener's Avatar

Fables is fantastic! I've recently read the first 80 issues and it's amazing. Start at the beginning if you can, but if not then issue 76 is a good starting point as it right after the big event of the first 75 issues.

Fairest is pretty good too, but it involves the Fables universe.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Animal Man Omni
    House of Secrets Omni
    Lucifer HC
    Sandman Omni
    Marshall Law Omni
    Global Frequency
    Enigma
    Flex Mentallo
    Sleeper Omni

Are worth your time and $$$$$$
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

DMZ (see also Northlanders, as well as the shorter Demo & Local)
    Preacher (also look out for Garth Ennis's Hitman series and his stint on Punisher MAX)
    Y: The Last Man (also try out Brian Vaughan's current longform title-- with artist/co-creator Fiona Staples-- Saga; the first trade of that's out now)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Lucifer HC
    If you mean the reprinting that starts later this year, it's still in softcovers (strangely).

http://www.bookdepository.com/Lucife.../9781401240264

But yes, Lucifer is one of the strong Vertigo titles.
    Last edited by passer-by; 02-14-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by passer-by View Post
    If you mean the reprinting that starts later this year, it's still in softcovers (strangely).

http://www.bookdepository.com/Lucife.../9781401240264

But yes, Lucifer is one of the strong Vertigo titles.
    I thought it was a HC reprinting, too, but yeah, you're right. That's quite a big book for a SC, although the Complete Deadenders was around the same size.

http://www.amazon.com/Lucifer-Book-O...=lucifer+carey