Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Because she's a female character in a male-dominated genre.
    I kind of feel that Hunger Games should have been enough to disrupt this line of thinking.

Maybe DC should move Wonder Woman out of comics and into YA novels to build an audience.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by MelDyer View Post
    It soon won't be.

Super-powered daughter of Zeus and the Queen of the Amazons, Wonder Woman is a jetsetting adventurer, who battles monsters, criminal masterminds and supernatural forces in London, ..with her pal, Zola, and Lennox, her scruffy half-brother.

The movie and Saturday morning cartoon are coming.
    god I hope not....

M

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    I kind of feel that Hunger Games should have been enough to disrupt this line of thinking.

Maybe DC should move Wonder Woman out of comics and into YA novels to build an audience.
    You'd think that, but yeah... unless DC does something with Wonder Woman to target an audience that isn't 30-something males, Wonder Woman just won't be able to flourish.
    "Kryptonite-laced nail polish. Isn't it too divine? Under all that steel, just a man."
    -- Cheetah, Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

It's like people will admit she isn't Batman, but still want her treated just as well. And they end up with nothing.

Yet another area where Marvel beat DC to the punch.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

Hunger Games was YA novel while Wonder Woman is in an industry that half asses attempts to bring females in and then they have ridiculous costumes (Harley Quinn) and they throw low level talent on most of their female lead books.

I think DC needs to build up Wonder Woman properly before they can expect good movie sales.

What are non comic people think when asked about WW?Invisible plane,deflects bullets with those bracelets and the bathing suit uniform.Super friends stuff.I thought that a great scene for her in the JL movie would be something like,well let's call Superman,he'll take care of it.She would say,No,I got this.Showing that she is powerful,strong,and just take charge.end of story.she has made an impression.Move on now.

The complete and utter failure of every live action comic book movie and every non-Batman/Superman DC film doesn't help. Her relatively weak rouges gallery doesn't help either as she has neither the endless supply of recognizable villains of Batman nor a well known nemesis like Superman.

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Why hasn't she gotten a film decades ago when superhero films where at their infant state?

I think a big part of the problem is that no one seems to believe in her basics-- her story, her supporting cast, etc. Every movie treament that I ever heard about was all about someone's specific version they wanted to portray, whether it was even close to the "real" thing or not. Hell, even the failed TV pilot form a couple years back was more of the same... everyone trying to "fix" WW.....and honestly even msot of the comic writers in the past 10 years have flubbed grasping a fairly simple concept.... "she's urban... she's sword wielding... she's a mopey amabssador...she works at a taco shop.....she's Zeus' bastard..."

Yeah-- you have the problem of the movie audiences not being geared towards a WW movie-- if it ain't Batman or some crazy video-game movie, then the "kids" won't go see it. But I feel a lot of it falls on the ptb not really believing in the core of the character. However you feel about the Perez run-- like or dislike-- with minor tweaks (as in keeping Steve as a love interest, simplifying some details) )that first major story arc would be a pretty great movie. Brief overview of the history of the Amazons, why they're in seclusion.... birth of Diana.... then right to the plane crash, etc, fighting off Ares. I mean, people complain about her villains not being up to snuff, but her adversary is the freaking GOD OF WAR-- it can't be more badass than that!

...but everyone "knows better right? All those producers and directors and executives-- they clearly know better... 9_9

Honestly I'd prefer an animated series.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro View Post
    Comic book writers and readers alike have a hard time defining the character. Her costume is goofy looking in real life. And her rogues gallery is terrible.
    Care to elaborate on why you think Wonderwoman's rogues are terrible? I think she actually has an underrated Rogues gallery myself.
    Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way.
    http://songoftheethereal.blogspot.com/

Gone

It's a matter of tone.

WW´s roots are silly, but in the last decades DC tried to make her serious.
    The problem is that this move is not as popular as people may think.
    Its underlying "Men SUCK! Now buy my book, man-child." message is not very easy to swallow for anyone without either a very thick hide or several layers of self-hatred.
    Women aren´t very convinced either because, really, to the vast majority of them, superheroes are childish and the costumes insulting.

They could try to revert to her silly origins but I imagine they´re affraid feminists would consider this an insult to a female icon.

Then, there is the budget issue.
    WW requires immense amounts of moolah for the SFX and not many studios are willing to invest that capital in a female-lead movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliseu Gouveia View Post
    It's a matter of tone.

WW´s roots are silly, but in the last decades DC tried to make her serious.
    The problem is that this move is not as popular as people may think.
    Its underlying "Men SUCK! Now buy my book, man-child." message is not very easy to swallow for anyone without either a very thick hide or several layers of self-hatred.
    Women aren´t very convinced either because, really, to the vast majority of them, superheroes are childish and the costumes insulting.

They could try to revert to her silly origins but I imagine they´re affraid feminists would consider this an insult to a female icon.

Then, there is the budget issue.
    WW requires immense amounts of moolah for the SFX and not many studios are willing to invest that capital in a female-lead movie.
    Why would Wonder Woman's 'amounts of moolah for the SFX' be any higher than that of almost any other movie out there nowadays? It would seem to me that it would be the garden-variety Spiderman or GLantern budget. I would venture to say that the only really expensive part of a budget for WW would be to build a set for the old-Paradise Island setting if they went with it. CGI was even used for her lasso even in the failed-TV attempt. I just don't see any efforts above and beyond those put into Batman or any other movie.

Budget doesn't seem to be an issue when making a superheroine film. Catwoman's budget was around $100 million and Elektra was $43 million. So, why did the studios take a stab at these two rather than make a Wonder Woman film? I think it's the difficulty of casting the ideal WW that would appease her finicky fans... coupled with the fear of messing with such an iconic character. I wish they would just go for it and make the film. If it bombs, so what... another 30 years setback for WW fans?

I think Hollywood producers are so afraid of it being a flop that they're skittish about actually doing one, and any kind of bump in the creative or pre-production process causes them to scrap whatever version is currently being developed and go back to the drawing board. Naturally, a Wonder Woman movie will never be made if it keeps going on like that, IMO.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.