Page 88 of 139 FirstFirst ... 387884858687888990919298138 ... LastLast
Results 1,306 to 1,320 of 2074

Quote Originally Posted by silveragesupermanfan View Post
    I have a question for those in support of gay marriage, since marriage is a religious union started by the God of the old and new testament of the bible why do people think they should be joined in a union that was created for a man and women, and why should the government be involved in religious matters? Let the government do civil unions if it choses to but please don't call it marriage.
    After three aborted attempts, I realize there's no response to this post I can make that won't get me banned. So never mind. Keep on trucking. But I do love the matter-of-fact way you state your case.

I have a question for those in support of gay marriage, since marriage is a religious union started by the God of the old and new testament of the bible why do people think they should be joined in a union that was created for a man and women, and why should the government be involved in religious matters? Let the government do civil unions if it choses to but please don't call it marriage.
    LOL this guy thinks that marriage was invented by the bible.

Hmm. So your argument is that marriage should be purely a religious matter, and government should get out of the marriage business altogether. Then the government wouldn't recognize any marriages and certainly wouldn't provide benefits for them. However, the government could support something called "civil unions", which would give federal benefits to couples who enter into such unions, whether heterosexual or homosexual. You know, I could support something like that.

I really don't think getting the government out of marriage is going to happen though... and come to think of it, I doubt that's what you were actually proposing, as you probably weren't thinking things through there. If the government is going to recognize marriage in a secular way, then I suppose it's only fair that the government applies the term "marriage" in a secular way to homosexual marriages. Certainly the U.S. government wouldn't come forward with the argument that the secular aspect of government-recognized marriages are based on the Old and New Testaments of the Bible, since that would be a violation of separation of church and state.

It comes down to a question of fairness. Either the government recognizes both homosexual and heterosexual marriages, or neither. Meanwhile, Orson Scott Card's political group, NOM, isn't working towards such a fair solution. It wants government recognition of heterosexual marriage, but not homosexual marriage.
    Last edited by Yttrium; 02-16-2013 at 09:24 PM.
    Current favorites: Claymore, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Justice League, Birds of Prey

I don't think that's canon, though. You might be thinking of an Elseworlds version of reality.
    P-Man "Does no one remember the NES? Flashing grey screens? Hmmm? Cartridges you had to blow so much that you expected there to be a fifty dollar bill on the nightstand in the morning?"

Wannabe "It worked better if you slightly licked the game. I know it sounds odd, but it works really really well. At least on N64."

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    COINTELPRO tried to stop King even resorting to blackmail, they failed. I think education killed the KKK not the FBI
    No, really....the FBI honestly did take down the KKK. There's a very famous court case where the government and a woman sued the KKK and got a huge settlement, effectively crippling the organization by taking their money and property. I'm not sure you know your history.

Quote Originally Posted by meethraa View Post
    I don't think that's canon, though. You might be thinking of an Elseworlds version of reality.
    It was totally in the zero issue of CREATION: JUSTICE LEAGUE VERSUS ADAM but Adam got retconned to being just some naked dude who beats up Batman and runs away.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

The logical extension of this argument seems to be that if you are Buddhist you are not really married, since those people do not worship the God of the Old and New Testament.

Despite comments that not one jot or title shall be overlooked, there are parts of the Bible that people seem to let slide. For example, Paul of Tarsus talks about how it is a shameful thing for a women to speak in church. Not lead the congregation, just speak.

And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church." [1 Corinthians 14:33-34]

So clearly our beliefs evolve. This one should as well, I think.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    You really have no clue on how laws work do you. the govement can't shut down hate group s becasue the first amendment protect them form govement action until the break a law through violence or direct threats. NOM has not been shut down for the same reasons that the KKK , the American Nazi party and Fred Phelps have not been shut down, the law does not allow then to be shut down by govement action.
    I was being facetious to make a point. Thanks for playing.

If NOM isn't committing any crimes then why should their members be penalized in the private sector for who they are associated with? I realize the letter of the law doesn't necessarily protect individuals from employers discriminating against them but I think it's within the spirit of the law.

And if not, it should be.
    Last edited by The Beast; 02-17-2013 at 04:55 AM.

BANNED

Now you just made me think of an interesting idea. Since Marriage is indeed a religious tradition, why don't Gay people just make their own religion? Seriously, if L.Ron Hubbard or the Mormons can get legit status, I'm sure the LGBT community could too.

Or is it the Marriage Licence that's the real obstacle? Then shouldn't the government have to separate church and state and thereby have no grounds for denying any applicants?

Actual comments exchanged on an article on this subject:
    Quote Originally Posted by Him
    I'm not buying his books and I'm dropping all my DC books. I can't separate the man's work from his beliefs in the same way I couldn't separate a Holocaust deniers or a white supremacist. I'm not demanding DC fire him, but I'm not going to support them either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    You realize he already WROTE his part. He's no longer employed by DC as far as I know. Punishing DC for "continuing to support him" is a bit silly when all he did was write freelance the first 2 issues of a single book, which he probably finished last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Him
    Punishing DC is the point... You do realize that, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Do you also plan to punish Marvel? They are currently at 47 issues of Ender's Game comics and have published 3 different titles all written by Card himself in the past. The count of comic books written by Card at DC is two. The count at Marvel (if you include Ender's Game as it is his property) is... over 70.
    Quote Originally Posted by Him, yes this is his actual response edited by me to remove the swearing.
    Nope. Ha ha. F--- you
    The unashamed hypocrisy is stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntikrst View Post
    If NOM isn't committing any crimes then why should their members be penalized in the private sector for who they are associated with? I realize the letter of the law doesn't necessarily protect individuals from employers discriminating against them but I think it's within the spirit of the law.
    Because a lot of perfectly legal things are very immoral or even downright evil. And if the law is not equipped to put a stop to that, then individuals have to take up the slack, within the bounds of the law, of course.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Quote Originally Posted by Ntikrst View Post
    Now you just made me think of an interesting idea. Since Marriage is indeed a religious tradition...
    It's a political tradition that got wrapped up in religion not all that long ago.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

BANNED

Due to the fact that God is a fictional (one dimensional) character and a moronic idea for the impatient who made a choice to celebrate the ridiculous and homosexuality is real and not a choice, I think I'm siding with the gays here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    Due to the fact that God is a fictional (one dimensional) character and a moronic idea for the impatient who made a choice to celebrate the ridiculous and homosexuality is real and not a choice, I think I'm siding with the gays here.
    hes been retconed far too many times as well
    first he all seventh day creationist ,then he was all angry as hell smiting all over the place ,then he has a hippy kid and chills his beans now hes reworked as an absentee landlord.i wish these people would make up their minds.the Christians should just admit it once and for all he was never possessed by parallax or had bone claws and the resurrection of his dead son after fighting doomsday was laughable unbelievable and under cut every death that came after

I haven't bought anything from OSC since I picked up Ender's Shadow years ago and thought it was awful.

Then I found out he was an unashamed, unapologetic bigot and didn't feel so bad about not finishing the novel.