Page 86 of 139 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 2074

Quote Originally Posted by majormcmeat View Post
    What sucks about this is that it's completely eclipsed the fact that Samnee and Parker are doing Superman.
    That's the only reason I'm still buying that first issue. It's not their fault.

I find most of what I have read very upsetting.
    4 times I have been banned and many of my posts deleted.
    I never wrote anything that was anti-gay.
    I only inputted my Christian beliefs into my dialog.
    I cannot help what I am. I was not preaching just expressing my thoughts.
    I love the Lord God and my feelings just come out.
    I have been warned many, many times not get religious.
    I feel as a Christian I have been discriminated against not once but several times.
    When people talk about free speech on this board I feel that it does not pertain to me.
    I have to be very careful that I do not put too much religious thought into my dialog.
    I feel I have been muzzled and marginalized.
    Once I even wrote to CBR management complaining about how I felt discriminated against because of my religious beliefs. I got a letter back calling me a liar and I was banned for over a week.
    OK I know that CBR is owned and operated by secularist. (Production Company)
    I know who owns CBR. OK I accept that. But please do not complain about
    Human rights when people of the secular left are engaged in the same kind of tactics.
    It is just way to hypocritical.

So to me it is about who comes out on top not equality and freedom for all.
    It’s more about being the oppressor and not the oppressed.

This board is very professionally done and kept upped very nicely, that is the only reason I still visit.
    But it is my guess that most conservatives avoid this place for the most part.
    It is my belief that most super hero comic books are geared toward the straight white male crowed right or wrong they are the ones that buy most of the comics. But their voice is mostly silenced due the nature of the game. No one wants to be called a bigot in this time of political correctness.

It’s like one of the posters said around 35% of the people are potentially bi while 3% are gay and it will be the people on top who will determine the final outcome.

Being banned from a comicbook message board VS Not having the same legal rights as the rest of the population.
    P-Man "Does no one remember the NES? Flashing grey screens? Hmmm? Cartridges you had to blow so much that you expected there to be a fifty dollar bill on the nightstand in the morning?"

Wannabe "It worked better if you slightly licked the game. I know it sounds odd, but it works really really well. At least on N64."

Quote Originally Posted by Ntikrst View Post
    Good thing reason isn't a democratic process.

DC isn't obligated to publish the work they contracted from OSC but If DC succumbed to the special interest group and chose to violate the employment contract due to OSC's religious and political affiliations then DC comics would be violating OSC's Freedom of Religion, Freedom of Association and Freedom of Assembly.

Ignoring reality isn't going to change things.
    They would not be violating any of those rights, they have no obligation to employ him and firing someone for being a member of a know hate groups that seeks to harm some of their employees and many of their customers is quite legal. Read the Constitution and look carefully on whose actions the amendments limit,
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by hatutzeraze1 View Post
    Or they could do the smart thing and make money of Card's work.
    The purpose of the boycott is to make Cards work less profitable. That ensures that Card will have less resources to harm innocent people with

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    DC isn't sending LGBT fans any mixed signals. The signal is clear. They are obtuse hypocrites.
    that should end this thread, you can't say you are for equality then hire a activist bigot

When you can point to me when gays were slaves or were forced to sit in the back of the bus like my ancestors were, then we can talk oppression.

Otherwise, let's quit with the ignorance.
    they are bullied, killed and until recently Jailed, try again

Quote Originally Posted by jestersjoker View Post
    Yes you can. Religion is a choice. Being gay isn't. They aren't equivalent.

Well, there was an issue of Action Comics recounting how the Kents consulted a pastor for spiritual guidance on whether they should adopt. I can't see an atheist couple doing so.
    Being Chrsitian doesn't mean that you are against gay rights or marrige, Several mainstream Christian Churches allow openly gay pastors and gay marriage

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    But breaking the law is what calling the cops is for, not boycotts. This whole "we can't boycott him because he did nothing illegal" makes ZERO sense.
    I guess they think a boycott is some kid of govement action?

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    Hmm, that's a really great idea, it would be separate, but equal... oh wait.
    The same folks were in favor of that then for the most part

Quote Originally Posted by Vidocq View Post
    What about religious gay people who want to get married?
    THey can get married by one of the many Christian, churches that allow it, in the states that allow it

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    Why should non-Christians give a flying fuck what the Bible says is a sin or isn't? The HUGE HUGE HUGE difference between being gay and being a racist is the former does not involve oppressing a SINGLE PERSON. Get that through your thick skull.
    Why should a Episcopalian or a Presibterian care either? they have no prohibition against it either

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post
    You're right he is. And a boycott is a reasonable reaction to someone that has been so vocal about an issue that has nothing to do with his job. Anger and disbelief is a reasonable reaction to the things he's said.

But claiming DC is anti-gay for hiring him, that he doesn't deserve a job, or even that he is a bad person that shouldn't get a job because he believes these things is bigotry. You are discounting the man for some of his beliefs that is the very definition of bigot. DC hiring an award winning author is not a message to LBGT people. It is a publishing house doing it's job.
    Seriously? You quoted me where I blatantly stated "I don't think he should be fired" and you're still on that kick?

I don't know what to tell you. If you can't tell the difference between bigotry and thinking someone is an ^%$hole, I don't know what to tell you.

Because honestly, that's what this is about. When Don Imus (who is a bigot, no matter how many times he claims he isn't...he blatantly uses the n-word in public according to an account from Howard Stern....YMMV) referred to the Rutgers female basketball players as "nappy headed hos," he was exercising his right to free speech on the public airwaves. And he still got fired. It was within the radio station's right to can his wrinkly hide. You wanna argue that him calling a bunch of hard working young women "hos" was perfectly fine, and anyone protesting is being a bigot towards his point of view? Sure, it was comedy. Orson just writes for comic books, right? No big deal.

And yet, homophobic slurs and racist comments actually DO hurt people. They actually do damage. Those girls slurred by Imus CRIED.

Everyone saying Card should be fired and that DC is run by fools? You think that's hurting anyone? Is it destroying their self-esteem, or making them feel like 3rd class citizens? You think Card loses any sleep at night about the sinful heteros and homosexuals who hate him or think he's a misguided bigot? This is a man who believes he's DOING AND SAYING THE RIGHT THING. I seriously doubt he cares.

I don't want to silence Card. I WANT him to keep spewing his hatred. It's better for him and all of his ilk to be out in the open, exposing their backwards, antiquated prejudices for all of us to see. If anything, DC hiring him has opened people's eyes to who he is, if they didn't know previously.

But I also don't want anyone opposed to him to be silenced, either. They can boycott, speak out, refuse to be a part of this enterprise.

That's a choice they're allowed to make.
    Last edited by hysang; 02-15-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Unreasonably Opinionated Conway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hysang View Post
    Seriously? You quoted me where I blatantly stated "I don't think he should be fired" and you're still on that kick?

I don't know what to tell you. If you can't tell the difference between bigotry and thinking someone is an ^%$hole, I don't know what to tell you.
    I'm sorry your quote was included because you were the person responding to me. My point was made in broad reference to the title of the thread. There is no way that LGBT people should interpret this as a message to them. It is simply business. As the consumer it is your job to purchase or not purchase and the company will decide from there. If you don't agree with his very public views you shouldn't buy his product. But that doesn't make DC into the CEO of Chick-Fil-A.

I recognize the irony, but calling the company that hired the idiot, someone that enjoys his material, or even his material, bigoted simply because he is; is in fact bigoted. You are judging the man and then others based entirely on one belief. That is exactly what he does, and like I said before, I'd like to think I am a better human being than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Conway View Post

I recognize the irony, but calling the company that hired the idiot, someone that enjoys his material, or even his material, bigoted simply because he is; is in fact bigoted. You are judging the man and then others based entirely on one belief. That is exactly what he does, and like I said before, I'd like to think I am a better human being than him.
    That's true. But it's also true that quite a few people (here and elsewhere) are against this petition and whatever boycott may come out of this because they share Card's views.
    And then there are people who are indifferent to this whole thing and just don't think that the lgbt community has anything to complain about nowadays, and that making a fuss over a book is an annoying inconvenience.
    I don't think it's fair to expect comments from someone in either of those groups to go unanswered.
    P-Man "Does no one remember the NES? Flashing grey screens? Hmmm? Cartridges you had to blow so much that you expected there to be a fifty dollar bill on the nightstand in the morning?"

Wannabe "It worked better if you slightly licked the game. I know it sounds odd, but it works really really well. At least on N64."

Quote Originally Posted by jestersjoker View Post
    I love the Lord God and my feelings just come out.
    I have been warned many, many times not get religious.
    I feel as a Christian I have been discriminated against not once but several times.
    When people talk about free speech on this board I feel that it does not pertain to me.
    I have to be very careful that I do not put too much religious thought into my dialog.
    I feel I have been muzzled and marginalized.
    Once I even wrote to CBR management complaining about how I felt discriminated against because of my religious beliefs. I got a letter back calling me a liar and I was banned for over a week.
    OK I know that CBR is owned and operated by secularist. (Production Company)
    I know who owns CBR. OK I accept that. But please do not complain about
    Human rights when people of the secular left are engaged in the same kind of tactics.
    It is just way to hypocritical.

So to me it is about who comes out on top not equality and freedom for all.
    It’s more about being the oppressor and not the oppressed.

This board is very professionally done and kept upped very nicely, that is the only reason I still visit.
    But it is my guess that most conservatives avoid this place for the most part.
    It is my belief that most super hero comic books are geared toward the straight white male crowed right or wrong they are the ones that buy most of the comics. But their voice is mostly silenced due the nature of the game. No one wants to be called a bigot in this time of political correctness.

It’s like one of the posters said around 35% of the people are potentially bi while 3% are gay and it will be the people on top who will determine the final outcome.
    Considering that there are large numbers of Christians on these boards who haven't been banned leads me to believe that you've been doing a damn sight more than just posting in line with your beliefs.
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    Nope, not vengeance. Equal treatment. He wants to suppress rights of others, so I'm not too worried about his.
    That's how Vengeance works, you want an eye for an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Ntikrst View Post
    That's how Vengeance works, you want an eye for an eye.
    What rights do people want to take away from OSC?