Page 79 of 139 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 2074

Could we consolidate these threads? Everyone has the right to speak out against, or even for this guy, but come on, do we really need four separate threads here on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ntikrst View Post
    Which of those actions are illegal?
    No one is talking about legality. Something doesn't need to be illegal to be wrong. Which is one of the reasons laws change all the time. The only illegal thing in this whole story is for two gay people who love each other to get marry, because some bigoted nuts with their fading influence decided that it diminishes their own marriages somehow.
    You're cool with it? Fine! Some of us are better than that.
    P-Man "Does no one remember the NES? Flashing grey screens? Hmmm? Cartridges you had to blow so much that you expected there to be a fifty dollar bill on the nightstand in the morning?"

Wannabe "It worked better if you slightly licked the game. I know it sounds odd, but it works really really well. At least on N64."

Quote Originally Posted by Leocomix View Post
    That is it. Stating that because a right exists in one place, it's a universal right doesn't make it true.
    First of all:

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/index.shtml#a16

... and please, if you do reply to this, don't use the same argument than all the anti-gay bigots do, okay?
    P-Man "Does no one remember the NES? Flashing grey screens? Hmmm? Cartridges you had to blow so much that you expected there to be a fifty dollar bill on the nightstand in the morning?"

Wannabe "It worked better if you slightly licked the game. I know it sounds odd, but it works really really well. At least on N64."

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    DC wouldn't be violating anything. Card was hired to write two Superman issues. He did so, was paid for them, and that's that. As it was work-for-hire, the stories are now the intellectual property of DC Comics, and they can do with them whatever they please, including putting them in a locked drawer and throwing away the key.
    Thank you!!!
    A true friend stabs you in the front. ~ Oscar Wilde

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand back to the OP...................wonderful idea, lovelikewinter! The Trevor Project does amazing work to help teens in an increasingly hostile world to the LGBTQ community. The suicide rate for LGBTQ youth is appalling. Fantastic idea!
    A true friend stabs you in the front. ~ Oscar Wilde

That's a classic Superman moment.
    Army of Crime

Image: Fatale, Saga
    Dark Horse: Mind Mgmt
    Marvel: Daredevil, Hawkeye, Thor: God of Thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Leocomix View Post
    But the boycott of Card isn't as you claim speaking out in the defense of a group. That's what I object to. What the LGBT lobbyists are working for is hurt Card.
    Do you get the parallel?
    There is no parallel.

Here, I'll let someone else illustrate it for you:

Quote Originally Posted by Bullets& Bracelets View Post
    I don't read Superman nor would I read "Adventures of Superman" regardless of the author. However I've been following the following the drama and I think some key facts need to be understood as to why the LGBT community is so adamantly against Orson Scott Card.

There is a great deal of misinformation on Orson Scott Card's involvement with N.O.M. do to lack of knowledge by CBR members on how 501(k) non-profits work.

1) Orson Scott Card is a Board Director on the National Association of Marriage. N.O.M. Is A Hate Group.

In 2009, Orson Scott Card was installed as a Board of Director for N.O.M. A board of director for any 501(k) non-profit such as N.O.M. has direct control and influence of the major agenda of the organization. Where the money goes, what programs are run, and what research is produced is approved by Orson Scott Card. As with any 501(k) non profit, there is public records of his board voting record as per government law.

Therefore, as a board director, he is directly responsible for any and all actions perpetuated by N.O.M.

The National Organization of Marriage has painted itself as a institution that simply wants to "preserve marriage" in America. This could not be further from the truth.

N.O.M. is virulently anti-gay hate group that not only seeks to enact anti-gay laws on both a federal and state level but also spread hateful misnformation about gay people. As with any 501(k) nonprofit, they are required to produce "research" to keep their 501(k) status. Over the years, they've spewed the following "facts" that are designed to stigmatize and discriminate against gay persons:

- gay people are mentally diseased
    - gay people are pedophiles; they are 90% more likely to molest children.
    - gay parents harm children; they are more likely to molest and abuse their own children then straight parents.
    - gay people are gay because they were sexually abused as a child.
    - gay men controlled the Nazi Party and were directly responsible for the orchestration of the Holocaust
    - homosexuality is an active, conscious choice and all gay people can become straight with "reparative therapy"
    - gay people actively and intentionally try to infect heterosexuals and children with HIV.
    - gay people are practice bestiality, necrophilia, and illicit drug use.

These "facts" were "researched" by N.O.M. and its affiliates. Any 501(k) non-profit that produces research and studies to be released to the general public must explicitly approved by the board of directors unanimously.

This means that Orson Scott Card reviewed, segmented and approved these "research" studies for release to the general public on a yearly basis along with their financial reports Without his approval, these studies could not have been released.

The Natonal Organization of Marriage is not just against marriage equality. They are virulently against any and all forms of gay rights in the country:

- against the repeal of DADT; wants to ban and to criminalize homosexuals in the military.
    - against the decriminalization of the Texas sodomy laws that would make it illegal for gay people to have sex. Likened ruling to "legalizing pedophilia".
    - against hate crime laws that include gays
    - against employment discrimination laws that include gays
    - supports the federal nationwide sodomy laws that would effectively make any and all gay relations illegal and punishable with prison time.
    - supports the addition of homosexuality to the list of "mental disorders" governed by the American Association of Psychology.
    - supports legalizing the shutdown of gay establishments (i.e. bars, clubs, youth centers) dubbed the "Anita Bryant Law".
    - supports the ban of homosexuals in "child-sensitive" employment positions such as teachers, counselors, or lifeguards.
    - supports the repeal of laws that outlaw housing discrimination for gay persons; an integral component of early gay rights in the 1970s.
    - supports ending any and all government aid for those with HIV domestically.

When Orson Scott Card was in-stated as a Board of Director, he pledged to uphold these 'values' and work to make these campaigns become a reality in the US. A board of director cannot 'half-ass' his devotion to a non-profit's cause. It's all or nothing as evidenced by a signed pledge and at-will contract upon his or hers in-statement.

In 2010, the Southern Poverty Law Center has added the N.O.M. to it's list of hate groups alongside the Ku Klux Klan, Nazi Party and Westboro Church. They follow STRICT guidelines outlined by the Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigation:

an organization who's primary purpose is to promote animosity, hostility, and malice against persons belonging to a race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or ethnicity/national origin which differs from that of the members of the organization."

This is a federal ruling that alongside the Department of Justice is monitored by the Anti-Defamation League and the Southern Poverty Law Center with guidance, ordination and strict approval from the FBI.

As such, N.O.M. remains on the FBI's list of potential enactors of domestic terrorism. on the basis of hate speech or incendiary language

Based on these facts, as the Board of Director for National Organization of Marriage, Orson Scott Card is legally no different then the leader of the Westboro Church or a member of the KKK.

Regardless, of your opinion on whether or not Orson Scott Card should write Superman, I hope this information is of to you when you make your decision to purchase his work in the future.
    This is one side of it.

The other side, the one that actually vexes you, simply wants DC to send a message, to both their fans and whomever else might be paying attention, that these sort of activities are not acceptable and won't be financially or morally supported by the company that owns Superman, an iconic figure that stands for justice and equality.

There. Is. No. Parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by Rao-El View Post
    So Christians jews and muslims are the enemy whose beliefs are to be demonized and have no place in society.

No mindless ideological bigotry and stifling of dissent there.
    I guess Brett White will now want to burn all copies of "Superman vs. Muhammad Ali" because the Man of Steel co-stars with a follower of Islam, a religion that denounces homosexuality as sinful.

Quote Originally Posted by meethraa View Post
    There is no parallel.

The other side, the one that actually vexes you, simply wants DC to send a message, to both their fans and whomever else might be paying attention, that these sort of activities are not acceptable and won't be financially or morally supported by the company that owns Superman, an iconic figure that stands for justice and equality.
    Superman was raised in KANSAS. He's not called the Big Blue Boy Scout for nothing.

So, while Superman would take a bullet for a gay couple, he would have no qualms saying they are not truly married.

Okay, everyone saying boycotting DC is censorship, let me make it simple: No one is denying anyone rights here. Card has the right to believe what he wants, DC has the right to hire who they want, BUT THOSE RIGHTS GO BOTH WAYS. That is, consumers have to right to not give companies their money if they don't support what that company does. That is not censorship. That is exercising the rights you're all pretending to defend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawson4 View Post
    I won't ever put up with "freedom of religion" being used as an excuse by bigots. "My bible says I should hate Jews/gays/blacks and persecute them, you can't fire me."
    I'd like to point out Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. agreed with the Bible that homosexuality is a sin.

Here is Rev. King's response to a Black youth who admits to homosexual tendencies:

QUESTION: My problem is different from the ones most people have. I am a boy, but I feel about boys the way I ought to feel about girls. I don't want my parents to know about me. What can I do?

MLK: Your problem is not at all an uncommon one. However, it does require careful attention. The type of feeling that you have toward boys is probably not an innate tendency, but something that has been culturally acquired... You are already on the right road toward a solution, since you honestly recognize the problem and have a desire to solve it.

http://www.blacknews.com/news/homose...l#.UR3Cc_L0-eY

So, it is a racist stereotype that ONLY White people view homosexuality as immoral. In fact, African and Latin countries tend to be conservative on sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by hatutzeraze1 View Post
    Superman was raised in KANSAS. He's not called the Big Blue Boy Scout for nothing.

So, while Superman would take a bullet for a gay couple, he would have no qualms saying they are not truly married.
    Superman is not an ignorant bigoted hick. His birth parents were so brilliant they built a rocketship to send him across the universe and his adoptive parents were so genuinely kind they raised him to use his powers exclusively for helping others. A guy like that is not petty and insecure like these people who fear that gay marriage will somehow invalidate their own. Regardless of where he spent his youth.

Quote Originally Posted by hatutzeraze1 View Post
    I'd like to point out Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. agreed with the Bible that homosexuality is a sin.
    doot-doo-de-doot-doo-NEWSFLASH! This just in: Many people in the 1960s had antiquated and backwards ideas about and attitudes towards their fellow human beings. The Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. even found himself on the receiving end of some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by lovelikewinter View Post
    There is a right and wrong in the universe and the distinction isn't very difficult to make. Giving Card money that he could use to further his homophobic actions is wrong.
    But where does it end?

For example, since the Sandy Hook shootings, there has a rabid push for gun control nationwide, especially by the entertainment industry. Some supporters of this push portray their opponents as being immoral and heartless.

However, Samuel L. Jackson is not one of them since he's a STAUNCH supporter of the Second Amendment.

http://dailycaller.com/2012/12/18/sa...re-gun-control

So, does Jackson deserve to lose his thriving acting career because the MAJORITY of his peers disagree with his views on guns?

I hope you answered "No!"

So, why should Card lose his job because the MAJORITY of his peers disagree with his views on marriage?

Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    doot-doo-de-doot-doo-NEWSFLASH! This just in: Many people in the 1960s had antiquated and backwards ideas about and attitudes towards their fellow human beings. The Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. even found himself on the receiving end of some of them.
    I'd like to point out Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. agreed with the Bible that homosexuality is a SIN.

Here is Rev. King's response to a Black youth who admits to homosexual tendencies:

QUESTION: My problem is different from the ones most people have. I am a boy, but I feel about boys the way I ought to feel about girls. I don't want my parents to know about me. What can I do?

MLK: Your problem is not at all an uncommon one. However, it does require careful attention. The type of feeling that you have toward boys is probably not an innate tendency, but something that has been culturally acquired... You are already on the right road toward a solution, since you honestly recognize the problem and have a desire to solve it.

http://www.blacknews.com/news/homose...l#.UR3Cc_L0-eY

So, it is a racist stereotype that ONLY White people view homosexuality as immoral.