Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dredd - Hype vs Quality

So, I missed Dredd when it came to theaters. I was interested, but not enough to go out of my way.

We all know the movie didn't do well in the box office, but online I kept hearing about how good it was and that it was for adults while The Avengers was a watered down kiddie show.

I was interested originally and was more confident in my enjoyment from the hearsay around the internet, so when it came to Redbox I jumped on it. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed. It wasn't a bad movie, but 'for adults' apparently meant copius cussing and gore. I guess my hopes were just up too high from the hype I had heard online. I thought 'for adults' meant the movie would be a bit more challenging or thought provoking, but that wasn't really the case.
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

Its just a movie. Ya either like it or you don't. Nuff said.

I guess the TV/Film forum should just be shut down then...
    Spider-Man from the beginning! Last ish: ASM #15 - Chameleon hires Kraven (first appearance!) to kill Spidey.

BANNED

I liked it well enough. Kinda like a sci-fi version of Die Hard. And more true to the source material than most comic-based movies. Worth the watch imho.

Quote Originally Posted by adam.walters View Post
    I thought 'for adults' meant the movie would be a bit more challenging or thought provoking, but that wasn't really the case.
    No, in movie language "for adults" means "hey kids, come to see this movie, we say it's for grown ups but in fact it's as juvenile as you can be with a lot of BIIIIIG explosions and car chases".

Fooled ya hey ?

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    No, in movie language "for adults" means "hey kids, come to see this movie, we say it's for grown ups but in fact it's as juvenile as you can be with a lot of BIIIIIG explosions and car chases".

Fooled ya hey ?
    Usually I expect that kinda thing (with movies and video games). Not sure why I fell for the bait this time.

Not a bad movie overall, though.

It's just OK. It doesn't quite work as an action movie, and it doesn't quite work as a thinking person's movie, but it's not offensive.

From what I understand Dredd is making a killing on hometherater and on demand sales.
    Cyclops ad portas

Maybe the hype was just about how awesome it was compared to the other Dredd movie that came out years ago? Yeah anything in comparison probably looks like the best movie ever created by people ever.
    A woman can move a lot faster with her skirt up than a man can with his pants down.

Dredd was a solid "S'alright" for me. Action was decent and the characters were leagues ahead of the Stallone version. But the plot just felt too, I don't know, contained, maybe? Having so much of the movie in that complex just seemed to be wasting the potential of the rest of the setting.

It was the first film I've ever seen where the 3D added to the experience rather than detracted from it. Which is strange because it implemented it in some pretty rudimentary ways. It just worked for me. That alone makes it stand out, at least to a guy like me.

As an actual story, it's suitable but nothing special. I just think that it was very well crafted.

Quote Originally Posted by adam.walters View Post
    So, I missed Dredd when it came to theaters. I was interested, but not enough to go out of my way.

We all know the movie didn't do well in the box office, but online I kept hearing about how good it was and that it was for adults while The Avengers was a watered down kiddie show.

I was interested originally and was more confident in my enjoyment from the hearsay around the internet, so when it came to Redbox I jumped on it. I'd be lying if I didn't say I was disappointed. It wasn't a bad movie, but 'for adults' apparently meant copius cussing and gore. I guess my hopes were just up too high from the hype I had heard online. I thought 'for adults' meant the movie would be a bit more challenging or thought provoking, but that wasn't really the case.
    You didn't know that, and you are on a comic message board?

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

i was genuinely bored. the characters simply weren't keeping my attention. as bad as Stallone is, he rarely bores me.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jesse_custer View Post
    It's just OK. It doesn't quite work as an action movie, and it doesn't quite work as a thinking person's movie, but it's not offensive.
    Yeah that nails it for me. It's not bad, just really mediocre.