Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Namtab View Post
    He has the right to his opinion. Just as I, and others, have the right to give DC hell for it.

The deed's been done and he has been paid, but hopefully this will keep DC from ever hiring him again.
    Yes--because clearly, the last thing DC wants is attention.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Yes--because clearly, the last thing DC wants is attention.
    There's a difference between the type of attention that brings in more money, and the attention that ruins an image.

Ask Gary Glitter.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    exactly

he has unpopular opinions, but they are his to have

should his employment options be limited because of that?
    Freedom of Speech, and all that.
    He can take his money and donate to organizations that actively work to strip people of their basic civil rights, and people can start petitions and get the word out about exactly what the man stands for.
    The informed consumer can make their choice, and the company can decide whether it is worth hiring someone with such views.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Freedom of Speech, and all that.
    He can take his money and donate to organizations that actively work to strip people of their basic civil rights, and people can start petitions and get the word out about exactly what the man stands for.
    The informed consumer can make their choice, and the company can decide whether it is worth hiring someone with such views.
    indeed

I'm sure DC will rethink any future relationship with him

I find it interesting, but Ive never bought Superman with any regularity anyway
    Support your local roller derby league

I usually try to seperate the individuals from the work when I'm reading, viewing, or listening to some form of art.
    But in this case, I can't support the comic, and I can't bring myself to seperate an anti-gay activist when he's writing about a character like Superman.

people keep bringing up work/employment and fail to recognize that companies monitor and fire employees that violate their codes and ethics or mission statement if it's detrimental to their image and business. they also check before hiring. companies rarely want to be seen as co-signing the views and actions of a high profile hire, especially if it's a temporary or freelance gig. hell, i've read about more than one bar,. hardly a corporate entity, that fired it's employees for posting racist screeds on their public facebook and twitter feed.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    people keep bringing up work/employment and fail to recognize that companies monitor and fire employees that violate their codes and ethics or mission statement if it's detrimental to their image and business. they also check before hiring. companies rarely want to be seen as co-signing the views and actions of a high profile hire, especially if it's a temporary or freelance gig. hell, i've read about more than one bar,. hardly a corporate entity, that fired it's employees for posting racist screeds on their public facebook and twitter feed.
    right...Im sure people at DC knew of Card and his views

and they hired him anyway
    Support your local roller derby league

They just got alot of attention and advertisement and didnt have to pay a cent. Well played.

I dont think it was well played by DC at all. It just makes them look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    right...Im sure people at DC knew of Card and his views

and they hired him anyway
    And as more media outlets pick up this story, they're going to have to deal with it.

This whole ordeal really isn't against Card, directly. He has his views and is unlikely to change, but it's DC that should really know better than to do business with this man, especially if they are as Pro-Gay Rights, as they seem to be.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    I dont think it was well played by DC at all. It just makes them look bad.
    Yeah. Unless they're hoping to get some money from the Anti-Gay-Rights crowd (which I doubt), then this wasn't a good move
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

I think they knew though. Still in the name of publicity people are willing to do anything. But yeah bad image for DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    He is getting paid anyway. All that is going to happen is that the sales will be down and DC will take it that people don't want to see the Classic Superman which is the farthest from the truth but that is how these idiots like Didio think.
    Could you please stop trying to derail a discussion about bigotry to make it into yet another "Bring back classic Supes!" tirade. There are a bunch of other threads for that.

BANNED

I never expected him to get fired, so the fact that we've stirred enough negative publicity for hiring OSC is a victory to me.

Dark Knight Detective DarkKnghtJared's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lexrules View Post
    He is getting paid anyway. All that is going to happen is that the sales will be down and DC will take it that people don't want to see the Classic Superman which is the farthest from the truth but that is how these idiots like Didio think.
    The obvious solution, to me, is to boycott the Orson Scott Card issues and then start a massive sales push for the subsequent issues--that way DC will know the sales bump came from people not wanting to pay for the work of a bigoted lobbyist.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Free-Man View Post
    Could you please stop trying to derail a discussion about bigotry to make it into yet another "Bring back classic Supes!" tirade. There are a bunch of other threads for that.
    This thread has to do with Superman and since this involves the return of the classic look and stories then it does involve this thread. You don't like what I write don't read it. Don't know who some of you people think you are to ever tell me what to do. I would think you would have learned by now it not going to happen.
    Last edited by Lexrules; 02-12-2013 at 11:35 AM.