Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default DC Comics Targeted for Hiring Anti-Gay Author to Write Superman Story

Days after announcing its latest digital-first anthology "Adventures of Superman," DC Comics faces a growing wave of criticism for hiring author and vocal gay-rights opponent Orson Scott Card to write the first chapter.

Full article here.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Days after announcing its latest digital-first anthology "Adventures of Superman," DC Comics faces a growing wave of criticism for hiring author and vocal gay-rights opponent Orson Scott Card to write the first chapter.

Full article here.

I just know this shit is going to delay the return of Classic Superman.

Oh dear.

A board member of the National Organization for Marriage, a group dedicated to the opposition of same-sex marriage, the author has tried to link homosexuality to childhood molestation, advocated home-schooling to ensure children “are not propagandized with the ‘normality’ of ‘gay marriage’” (with Card, the phrase is always in quotation marks), and floated slippery-slope scenarios in which marriage-equality opponents one day will be classified as “mentally ill” and parents who encourage their children to pursue heterosexual marriage “will be labeled as a bigot and accused of hate speech.”
    He just seems lovely.
    Upcoming artist or writer? Want somewhere to share your work? Welcome to the Artists and Writers Showcase!!

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

GOOD, you can't have your cake and eat it too in that DC puts a small handful of lesbian and gay characters into their comics, but then hires a raging homophobe who works to curtail the rights of gays and lesbians.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Earth 2, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

I loved Ender's Gamewhen I was a kid. The follow up not so much.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing where he goes with an all ages Superman adventure.

Hard to keep track of where your money goes, so I'll assume for the sake of argument that a comics purchase could just as easily be going toward OSC's grocery list.

I do not object to him purchasing a tomato.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    I loved Ender's Gamewhen I was a kid. The follow up not so much.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing where he goes with an all ages Superman adventure.

Hard to keep track of where your money goes, so I'll assume for the sake of argument that a comics purchase could just as easily be going toward OSC's grocery list.

I do not object to him purchasing a tomato.
    You could say that about supporting people like Hitler and Osama Bin Laden (if they were alive).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Not_Troller View Post
    You could say that about supporting people like Hitler and Osama Bin Laden (if they were alive).
    Sure...but I'd have to admit a valid comparison, which I don't.

Hitler and Osama bin Laden actively sought world domination and mass civilian casualties respectively.

OSC is a writer with some harmful opinions that are rapidly losing ground in America. I really don't see a lot of people rallying around the guy. And I don't believe that if I spend a few bucks on his comics it's going to the development of a Branch Davidian style compound.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Sure...but I'd have to admit a valid comparison, which I don't.

Hitler and Osama bin Laden actively sought world domination and mass civilian casualties respectively.

OSC is a writer with some harmful opinions that are rapidly losing ground in America. I really don't see a lot of people rallying around the guy. And I don't believe that if I spend a few bucks on his comics it's going to the development of a Branch Davidian style compound.
    exactly

he has unpopular opinions, but they are his to have

should his employment options be limited because of that?
    Support your local roller derby league

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

Ok guys, what part of A board member of the National Organization for Marriage, a group dedicated to the opposition of same-sex marriage did you not see?

That means it goes beyond opinion, and into "he's using his money in an attempt to deny people their civil rights" territory.

He's not getting a quarter from me.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    exactly

Maybe he can even learn something when he tries to get inside Superman's head. WWSD?

At any rate, I don't think making him feel embattled is going to soften his stance. He'd just see himself as a martyr.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    Ok guys, what part of A board member of the National Organization for Marriage, a group dedicated to the opposition of same-sex marriage did you not see?

That means it goes beyond opinion, and into "he's using his money in an attempt to deny people their civil rights" territory.

He's not getting a quarter from me.
    He is getting paid anyway. All that is going to happen is that the sales will be down and DC will take it that people don't want to see the Classic Superman which is the farthest from the truth but that is how these idiots like Didio think.

Maybe he can even learn something when he tries to get inside Superman's head. WWSD?

At any rate, I don't think making him feel embattled is going to soften his stance. He'd just see himself as a martyr.
    could happen

has DC made any sort of official statement since they announced him?
    Support your local roller derby league

exactly

He sure is up for restricting other people's rights, so why should I feel bad?

could happen

has DC made any sort of official statement since they announced him?
    Not to my knowledge.

At any rate, I think the important thing to remember here is that there's a huge difference between "DC Hires Anti-Gay Author to Write Superman Comic" and "DC Hires Author to Write Anti-Gay Superman Comic."

Quote Originally Posted by Orson Scott Card
    “How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.”
    He has the right to his opinion. Just as I, and others, have the right to give DC hell for it.

The deed's been done and he has been paid, but hopefully this will keep DC from ever hiring him again.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor