Page 39 of 47 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast
    Wait...I know you. Captain Clarkie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    I am implying that views change faster than laws. And that i find it ironic that the descendant people with the most outrage against the law that hinders gay relations...have descendants that created the law and enforced it. (Laws) So vehemently placed on the native population---that they have taken the ball and ran with it.

Its like a bad Star Trek episode. Akin to teaching other worlds about the Prime Directive and having it enforced with such force..that 150 years later..the planet it has been taught to now view it as the gospel.

And will kill anyone that breaks the Prime Directive. Flash Forward..to Trek Analogied NOW, The Enterprise is being hunted down by the planet's SPACE NAVY for breaking the Prime Directive.

You cant metaphorically make this stuff up.
    Really? Exactly how many children did these British Colonial Lawmakers have? As if every single British citizen today addressing discrimination in Uganda is miraculously a descendant of these British Colonial Lawmakers? Because they're patently not. It's a ludicrous idea, what you're really saying is that they're not allowed to comment because of their nationality, which is also ludicrous.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post

Should we not be trying to right the sins of our fathers?
    my point is they're not my bloody fathers, if they were, I'd probably be a lot richer and not involved with this discussion. AND even if they were, right is right from the mouths of the guilty just as much as it is from the mouths of the innocent.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Clarkie View Post
    my point is they're not my bloody fathers
    That's also a damn good point, yes.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

my point is they're not my bloody fathers, if they were, I'd probably be a lot richer and not involved with this discussion. AND even if they were, right is right from the mouths of the guilty just as much as it is from the mouths of the innocent.
    He obviously didn't mean "descendants" in the sense that every single person in England is a direct blood relative of Ugandan Colonialists and it's a bit silly to get so caught up on a point of semantics. You make a good point though, if one that should be bloody obvious. If my grandfather kicked puppies for a living that doesn't mean I don't get to have a say in whether puppy kicking is wrong. If anything, it makes sense for me to feel rather strongly on the subject, knowing what a puppy kicking old cunt grandpa was.

Imagination and Bravery Double 0's Avatar

I can see both points.

I do think that even though Westerners of the past have had a major negative influence on Africans in general, that shouldn't stop the current generation from trying to help.

But what's being ignored is the lack of agency Africans, in this case the Ugandans, have historically had within their own country due to first and second world influence. It seeps into the politics, religions, and cultures, warping them and molding them in order for the people to be further exploited.

And that's Roland's point: Non-African countries, especially countries like Russia, China, UK, and the US, already have far too much influence either through the private sector or the governments themselves. Some in country agency and mobilization would be not only nice, but refreshing.

You guys just plain don't understand how it feels for your government and businesses to be essentially puppets for foreign powers to rake in more resources.
    Last edited by Double 0; 02-24-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

http://naijamanexe.tumblr.com

Really? Exactly how many children did these British Colonial Lawmakers have? As if every single British citizen today addressing discrimination in Uganda is miraculously a descendant of these British Colonial Lawmakers? Because they're patently not. It's a ludicrous idea, what you're really saying is that they're not allowed to comment because of their nationality, which is also ludicrous.
    In Roland's world, however, England is the source of all the evil in the world, and continues to be so, because we have a Queen.

Or something.
    The Hod: Novelist, raconteur and celebrated sexual athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald M. View Post
    He obviously didn't mean "descendants" in the sense that every single person in England is a direct blood relative of Ugandan Colonialists and it's a bit silly to get so caught up on a point of semantics.
    I do realise that, and I can appreciate it may seem like Semantic nitpicking (whilst we're here, UK, not England please), when it was meant to be deliberate hyperbole , but this -

And that i find it ironic that the descendant people with the most outrage against the law that hinders gay relations...have descendants that created the law and enforced it. (Laws) So vehemently placed on the native population---that they have taken the ball and ran with it.
    is just too inaccurate for me, and so semantic hyperbole seemed to be the route to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post

You guys just plain don't understand how it feels for your government and businesses to be essentially puppets for foreign powers to rake in more resources.
    true, but in my defence, I pretty much despise my own country's government and most of it's businesses, and do not wish to be associated with them as much as possible.

Also, this is still a sidebar to the strange idea that there is a 'Powerful Vatican Gay Lobby' ousting popes.

true, but in my defence, I pretty much despise my own country's government and most of it's businesses, and do not wish to be associated with them as much as possible.

Also, this is still a sidebar to the strange idea that there is a 'Powerful Vatican Gay Lobby' ousting popes.
    True, and frankly, I really hope there is a "powerful Vatican gay lobby". It'd be a great start in me feeling a little better about being Catholic (even though I'm forced to be Catholic via family).

It's just weird hating the religion you were raised in due to it's history and the people who have power in it. Which is another good question, why are there religious people with power and influence?

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

True, and frankly, I really hope there is a "powerful Vatican gay lobby". It'd be a great start in me feeling a little better about being Catholic (even though I'm forced to be Catholic via family).
    No you're not. Surely you're old enough to make that choice for yourself by now?

It's just weird hating the religion you were raised in due to it's history and the people who have power in it. Which is another good question, why are there religious people with power and influence?
    Because for some reason society seems to think people who still believe in fairy tales should be the ones telling everyone else how to live their lives.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

Philosophically, I agree with a lot of the teachings of Christ, and it is saddening to have seen them co-opted into large, hegemonistic, power-bases, complete with amassed wealth, and in some cases, historical ones certainly, actual armies.

Philosophically, I agree with a lot of the teachings of Christ
    Oh sure, he sounds like he was a pretty decent bloke, more or less. It'd be nice if more of his followers actually followed his example.

Yeah, hardly an original, ground-breaking thought there, I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    No you're not. Surely you're old enough to make that choice for yourself by now?
    Oh, my personal decision is Agnostic, and in my own way, I follow it.

It's just that there a large segment of my family (not my parents though) who are extremely religious, and will attempt to cut off those who don't. I'd rather not cause an in family fight due to my own preferences. Not yet at least.

- Stanisław Jerzy Lec

I can see both points.

I do think that even though Westerners of the past have had a major negative influence on Africans in general, that shouldn't stop the current generation from trying to help.

But what's being ignored is the lack of agency Africans, in this case the Ugandans, have historically had within their own country due to first and second world influence. It seeps into the politics, religions, and cultures, warping them and molding them in order for the people to be further exploited.

And that's Roland's point: Non-African countries, especially countries like Russia, China, UK, and the US, already have far too much influence either through the private sector or the governments themselves. Some in country agency and mobilization would be not only nice, but refreshing.

Exactly. They Don't understand.

Simply by virtue of whatever law they dont like they change or ignore. With no Penalty.

Changing mandatory JAIL time for 1 gram of Crack ( softening the time) when the law was about to be applied to METH and Cocaine.

So it would be hard to explain what its like to have institutionalized dogma enforced on you until you think its your own idea.
    Last edited by RolandJP; 02-24-2013 at 03:30 PM.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

Oh, my personal decision is Agnostic, and in my own way, I follow it.
    Fair enough.

It's just that there a large segment of my family (not my parents though) who are extremely religious, and will attempt to cut off those who don't. I'd rather not cause an in family fight due to my own preferences. Not yet at least.
    Religion is fucking awesome, isn't it?