Page 22 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
Results 316 to 330 of 700
  1. #316
    Be Right Back... Spike-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Just above Tasmania
    Posts
    34,910

    Default

    Slavery was the norm in biblical times as well. Along with throwing rocks at your kids if they talk back to you. I'd like to think society has evolved a little since then.
    Christ, do I have to do all the thinking for the entire fucking Internet? - Michael P

  2. #317
    BANNED kmeyers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    In madness we dwell
    Posts
    5,255

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Slavery was the norm in biblical times as well. Along with throwing rocks at your kids if they talk back to you. I'd like to think society has evolved a little since then.
    I agree with this, but it sucks. It will eventually happen,but meanwhile...

    I just want to throw this out there, because I'm really sick of hearing about how wonderful the founding fathers were and how perfect the constitution is...among other things they believed in, women had no rights, and neither did slaves, and were only counted as 3/5th a person for census purposes.

    GO founders!

  3. #318
    Don't judge me ChadH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kamikaze10 View Post
    *Hugs ChadH*
    Well, thank you.
    To escape criticism - do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

    Die ChadH! - bipolar danger girl

  4. #319

    Default

    Just as a point of general information, Orson Scott Card is heavily involved with the Mormon church. He's a descendant of Brigham Young, a professor at a Mormon-controlled college and wrote the latest revision of the Hill Cumorah pageant, which is apparently a big deal.

    So, I guess you have to view his anti-gay views as part of his broader faith. You know, kind of like if this were the 1950's and he was defending segregation.
    Last edited by Iangould; 02-15-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

  5. #320
    Elder Member Shellhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Twin Cities
    Posts
    17,745

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    I just want to throw this out there, because I'm really sick of hearing about how wonderful the founding fathers were and how perfect the constitution is...among other things they believed in, women had no rights, and neither did slaves, and were only counted as 3/5th a person for census purposes.
    I've been feeling the same way in recent years. How could a slave owner like Thomas Jefferson keep a straight face when writing passionately about liberty and rights?
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

  6. #321
    Elder Member Charles RB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    35,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    How could a slave owner like Thomas Jefferson keep a straight face when writing passionately about liberty and rights?
    That was different. He benefitted from that.
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

  7. #322
    Observer Vibranium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    19,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    I've been feeling the same way in recent years. How could a slave owner like Thomas Jefferson keep a straight face when writing passionately about liberty and rights?
    because I think he realized that society might evolve, both him and Ben Franklin were pretty forward thinking guys
    Support your local roller derby league

  8. #323
    Hardcover addict dupont2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow knight View Post
    Why is this man homophobic? Is it because he disagrees with your liberal views.
    Yes. Because he disagrees with my views that gays are every bit as human as us, and deserve to be treated as such. If he didn't think black people should be treated equal would he be racist?
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

  9. #324
    Hardcover addict dupont2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Slavery was the norm in biblical times as well. Along with throwing rocks at your kids if they talk back to you. I'd like to think society has evolved a little since then.
    He was actually wrong about gay marriage though. Same sex unions have existed for a very long time. Nero was having same sex marriages right about the time the gospels were first being drafted. But considering this is a secular nation, what does anything have to do with biblical times?
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

  10. #325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Slavery was the norm in biblical times as well. Along with throwing rocks at your kids if they talk back to you. I'd like to think society has evolved a little since then.
    Deuteronomy 23:15-16 "Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee: He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him."

    Exodus 20:10 "But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates."


    Exodus 21:20-21 "And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.

    DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE:
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.


    Oppressors salad bar rules. They pick what they like and deny what they dont.
    Last edited by RolandJP; 02-15-2013 at 04:37 PM.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

  11. #326

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    Deuteronomy 23:15-16 "Thou shalt not deliver unto his master the servant which is escaped from his master unto thee: He shall dwell with thee, even among you, in that place which he shall choose in one of thy gates, where it liketh him best: thou shalt not oppress him."

    Exodus 20:10 "But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates."


    Exodus 21:20-21 "And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.

    DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE:
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.


    Oppressors salad bar rules. They pick what they like and deny what they dont.
    Note the qualifier.

    Note too that beating a slave to death isn't considered murder.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

  12. #327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post
    Note the qualifier.

    Note too that beating a slave to death isn't considered murder.

    Then why have the rule?

    I think lawyer mindsets have twisted every truth into gray area.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

  13. #328
    Hardcover addict dupont2005's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    17,001

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    Exodus 21:20-21 "And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished.
    What if the slave doesn't die? Then it's okay?
    The Copper Age is my Golden Age
    My 2014 1000 comic progress

  14. #329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJP View Post
    Then why have the rule?

    I think lawyer mindsets have twisted every truth into gray area.
    Compare it to the passage that says causing a woman to miscarry is a crime punishable by a fine unless the woman also dies in which case it's murder.

    If accidentally killing a slave while beating them was considered murder, the passage would probably have read "...and you shall put him to death."

    Killing a slave, as in the pre-war south, was considered a minor crime comparable to mistreating animals in the ancient world.
    Last edited by Iangould; 02-16-2013 at 02:07 AM.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

  15. #330
    They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    31,137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iangould View Post

    If accientallt killing a slave whiel beating them was considered murder, the passage would probably have read "...and you shall put him to death."
    "accientallt" would be an awesome name for a goth metal band.
    My blog.

    We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

    Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •