Page 3 of 47 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

In reporting on this story, the Huffington Post cites a post on a blog that covers gay issues, and an online petition at a website I've never heard of. And that's it. I'm surprised it managed to garner any serious attention at all. The Guardian managed to get a couple of quotes, one of which came from someone saying that while he personally boycotts Card's writing, he doesn't think Card should be denied work.

And in the end, all this 'outrage' is over Card co-writing a single short story in an out-of-continuity digital anthology book.

I think the 'outrage' would be that DC would even consider the avid anti-gay and anti-civil rights activist to write ANYTHING for them.

Honestly, I doubt DC cares about his political beliefs as long as they think he can move units.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    I think the 'outrage' would be that DC would even consider the avid anti-gay and anti-civil rights activist to write ANYTHING for them.
    Rick Veitch is an avid 9/11 Truther. I don't recall any 'outrage' over DC putting him on Aquaman, Swamp Thing, and Army@Love. And Image agreed to PUBLISH his Truther propaganda comic.

Neal Adams has the equivalent of a part-time job trying to spread pseudoscience, which he certainly supports by doing mainstream work. And no one's calling for DC to stop giving him work because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Rick Veitch is an avid 9/11 Truther. I don't recall any 'outrage' over DC putting him on Aquaman, Swamp Thing, and Army@Love. And Image agreed to PUBLISH his Truther propaganda comic.

Neal Adams has the equivalent of a part-time job trying to spread pseudoscience, which he certainly supports by doing mainstream work. And no one's calling for DC to stop giving him work because of that.
    maybe because people don't know about them. plus being a truther is a tad different than being part of an organization bent on oppressing a group of people. so maybe some people, especially those directly targeted by his actions, may have more invested in seeing him exposed for what he is, while calling out DC.

Card's not exactly a shrinking violet. I'd say he's about as "exposed" as it's possible to be.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    biggest bullshit I ever heard.

Let's ask the blacks back in the day how that separate but equal shit went down.
    the phrase itself sets me off, like almost as bad as racial slurs

I read it and I had to read it again that someone in the year 2012 actually used it and wanted to implement it

really? really?
    Support your local roller derby league

insect of destiny fly on the wall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    Ive read some of the Enders novels, and also his Empire series...its ok, but he has a pretty solid fanbase

while I do not agree with his opinions, they are his to have, and should his employment options be limited because of it?
    Yeah, if he is not allowed to write comic-books, what professions is a gay-hater allowed to do? Should he be forbidden to work at all? Should homophobes be given welfare since they are not allowed to spread their poison by working?

Not that I want to read his comics. That would be creepy. But just sayin'.
    fly on the wall

"A watched pot never boils unless you have heat vision."

--Anonymous

writers are allowed to say racist things in their work. LOOKS AT STEPHEN KING. who was quite prolific with N words and bad black stereotypes. Why cant Card write?

I have yet to see outrage over Mr. King and others.....John Carter was made into a movie..and that book was pretty racist. No Burroughs hate to this extent.

Am I for gay bashing...hell no! I do however think if the Kings. Burroughs. Lovecrafts. and others can have prejudiced views but be allowed to not only continue to write but be honored.

I dont see where outrage can come.
    Last edited by RolandJP; 02-12-2013 at 01:15 PM.
    My webcomic Updated weekly
    My BlogSTORM/Black Panther Sabotage
    BEBOP--"Roland = pinnacle of objectivity"

I didn't know that about Veitch. In Adams' case though, he's just talking mad crap about how the Earth is growing - it's stupid but it doesn't hurt anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by mikekerrIII View Post
    He has threaten and encourage criminal violence if gay marriage is legalized
    This is the actual quotein context:
    If America becomes a place where our children are taken from us by law and forced to attend schools where they are taught that cohabitation is as good as marriage, that motherhood doesn't require a husband or father, and that homosexuality is as valid a choice as heterosexuality for their future lives, then why in the world should married people continue to accept the authority of such a government?

What these dictator-judges do not seem to understand is that their authority extends only as far as people choose to obey them.

How long before married people answer the dictators thus: Regardless of law, marriage has only one definition, and any government that attempts to change it is my mortal enemy. I will act to destroy that government and bring it down, so it can be replaced with a government that will respect and support marriage, and help me raise my children in a society where they will expect to marry in their turn.

Biological imperatives trump laws. American government cannot fight against marriage and hope to endure. If the Constitution is defined in such a way as to destroy the privileged position of marriage, it is that insane Constitution, not marriage, that will die.
    He's not saying he would, oh no. He's implying that this will inevitably lead to horrible things and conservatives will heroically rise up with violence against the state. How could we ever read that and think he was in favour of that?

Also:

A term that has mental-health implications (homophobe) is now routinely applied to anyone who deviates from the politically correct line. How long before opposing gay marriage, or refusing to recognize it, gets you officially classified as "mentally ill"?
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quite obviously, there are threads on the Superman and DC forums about this.

I am not gonna repeat myself here.

Other than say: Loren, fly and the others... If Card were a member of an anti-black hate group... or an anti-Jew hate group... Would you still feel the same?
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Quite obviously, there are threads on the Superman and DC forums about this.

I am not gonna repeat myself here.

Other than say: Loren, fly and the others... If Card were a member of an anti-black hate group... or an anti-Jew hate group... Would you still feel the same?
    as a black man, I can say I personally wouldn't feel any different

and the reason is because Im of the mindset Im always playing from behind in this society so what's one more person who hates minorities?
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    as a black man, I can say I personally wouldn't feel any different

and the reason is because Im of the mindset Im always playing from behind in this society so what's one more person who hates minorities?
    there's a difference between someone hating you and someone taking that hate and actively working towards oppressing your community.

Feh. Shouldn't there be petitions somewhere exhorting orchestras not to play Richard Wagner's music?
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Tell the couples in California who had the marriages discounted, and the ones who had to call their weddings off that the people who did everything they could to cause that are no worse than conspiracy theorists on the Internet. Maybe they won't be too offended, if you're lucky.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/