Page 1 of 47 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Superman author condemns homosexuality, sparks outrage

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...-homosexuality

"DC Comics has tapped Orson Scott Card, the Ender's Game author who has said homosexuality is "deviant behavior," to write for its new, digital-first Superman. That has sparked outrage among fans. Card also suggested in a 2004 essay that if same-sex marriage is legalized, "our civilization will collapse or fade away.""

My feelings about this are complicated, once I get past my knee jerk. How much does this or any author's opinion of such things make a difference to you, as a comic book consumer?

Is it one of those things where you know such people exist in ALL industries but having the veil lifted made you too aware to get past it? (Like working in a food processing plant maybe.)
    Please pardon any aggressive auto-correct feature typos.

Card's a bigoted, myopic asshole, and not a particularly good writer anyway.
    Broke down laughing and screaming for more/If this changed your life, did you have one before?
    sketches - Updated 2/26/2012

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quite obviously, there are threads on the Superman and DC forums about this.

I am not gonna repeat myself here.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

he condemns homosexuality yet he is writing Superman.........................

Never read Ender's Game, heard it was good from some, and others say it was an overrated piece of shit.
    Have no plans to ever read it, as I choose not to give my money to homophobic shitheads.

Any shit like this is really simple:

'condemning or opposing' homosexuality or same-sex marriage is bigoted crap purely and necessarily.

This guy can be straight or be to marry straight, so what is his problem anyway? He sounds like a total moron obviously.

Aside from that, I'm not about to be reading Superman, just because Superman would be a thing.

Among comics I'd more rather follow stuff by specific creatives I'd be liking specifically, like Mignola or Burns or Gary Gianni. Or stuff as seeming just appealing by and of itself specifically.

I've never read or seen any work of this bigoted-sounding guy 'though.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 02-12-2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

Ive read some of the Enders novels, and also his Empire series...its ok, but he has a pretty solid fanbase

while I do not agree with his opinions, they are his to have, and should his employment options be limited because of it?
    Support your local roller derby league

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    Ive read some of the Enders novels, and also his Empire series...its ok, but he has a pretty solid fanbase

while I do not agree with his opinions, they are his to have, and should his employment options be limited because of it?

Quite obviously, there are threads on the Superman and DC forums about this.

I am not gonna repeat myself here.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Thanks for the update.
    Broke down laughing and screaming for more/If this changed your life, did you have one before?

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Its pretty dumb as a PR move for DC. You sign a guy who did this ...for an iconic character like Superman ? Jeeeze...how smart is that ?
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell D. View Post
    Never read Ender's Game, heard it was good from some, and others say it was an overrated piece of shit.
    Have no plans to ever read it, as I choose not to give my money to homophobic shitheads.
    Why is this man homophobic? Is it because he disagrees with your liberal views. IIRC there are approximately 30 states and over 150 countries that don't recognize or allow gay marriage is everyone of those countries homophobic. People in the western world have is myopic view that they know better than anyone else. Phobic implies an irrational fear, from what I can read Card doesn't believe in homosexual marriage which has been the norm since biblical times. Stop this, there's nothing he has said that billions of people don't say throughout the world. He isn't advocating gassing, killing, beating, depriving of their jobs and denying them the right to live near him. Had he implied anything similar I would be with you in commending him. Whether you like it or not his view is middle road for people who live outside the liberal world that exist mostly in the east and west coast of the US.

Cool story, homophobro.

Quote Originally Posted by shadow knight View Post
    Why is this man homophobic? Is it because he disagrees with your liberal views. IIRC there are approximately 30 states and over 150 countries that don't recognize or allow gay marriage is everyone of those countries homophobic. People in the western world have is myopic view that they know better than anyone else. Phobic implies an irrational fear, from what I can read Card doesn't believe in homosexual marriage which has been the norm since biblical times. Stop this, there's nothing he has said that billions of people don't say throughout the world. He isn't advocating gassing, killing, beating, depriving of their jobs and denying them the right to live near him. Had he implied anything similar I would be with you in commending him. Whether you like it or not his view is middle road for people who live outside the liberal world that exist mostly in the east and west coast of the US.
    the same type of people, who in Indiana wanted a "separate, but equal" prom for a high school because they didn't want the gay kids there??
    Support your local roller derby league

Quote Originally Posted by shadow knight View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homopho...ial_homophobia

case u were confused on the definition

Well excuuuse me princess Mike Pothier's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on till morning

I'm sure there are plenty of authors and creators that I would have a very sharp difference of opinion with. Unless it shows up in their work, I try to divorce their beliefs from what I enjoy.
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!