Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Is Geoff John's the quitessential Green Lantern writer.

Batman has Kane, Miller and O'Neil
    Superman has Seigel, Shuster, and Maggin
    Flash has Waid
    Wonder Woman has Marston and Perez
    Swamp Thing has Moore

Is John's now a name that from the end of his run all other writers will be compared to? Imo it's hard to think otherwise. The character may have never been more popular than under John's pen. And the franchise prospered.

BANNED

Commercially, yes.

Creatively, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Commercially, yes.

Creatively, no.
    Really? Who would you say was better? I read the most of the original stories by Broome and Kane. They were fun in concept but no real creative tour de force. Nearly every concept they've had from the Guardians to Sinestro was improved upon by somebody else. I guess you could say the O'Neil/Adams run but that was more for it's politics than anything else. I wouldn't say it did anything bold strictly with the concept of Green Lantern. The only other major runs I can think of our Giffen's for his work in Emerald Twilight which basically established the modern Hal Jordan character and tweaked alot of the basics. Then there's Marz who did some cool stuff with Kyle, but honestly Morrison probably did more to develop him in Justice League and Emerald Twilight will always be held agianst him.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman has Seigel, Shuster, Maggin, and Morrison

I guess Johns is GL's definitive writer, but that ain't saying much. The book hasn't really many big guns. I liked all of his world building up until it just became the same story over and over.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerman View Post
    Really? Who would you say was better? I read the most of the original stories by Broome and Kane. They were fun in concept but no real creative tour de force. Nearly every concept they've had from the Guardians to Sinestro was improved upon by somebody else. I guess you could say the O'Neil/Adams run but that was more for it's politics than anything else. I wouldn't say it did anything bold strictly with the concept of Green Lantern. The only other major runs I can think of our Giffen's for his work in Emerald Twilight which basically established the modern Hal Jordan character and tweaked alot of the basics. Then there's Marz who did some cool stuff with Kyle, but honestly Morrison probably did more to develop him in Justice League and Emerald Twilight will always be held agianst him.
    Nah to be clear I don't really like the O'Neil/Adams thing (which I think was very misguided, laughably heavy handed, and now dated) or the Kyle Rayner stuff.

I do think Emerald Dawn is underrated, and better than Secret Origin. Alan Moore's Tales of the Corps was really short, but dense with huge concepts that had a lot of potential to make the GL mythos expansive. Then you have Darwyn Cooke's take on Hal Jordan in New Frontier.

Despite having a lengthy run, Johns hasn't really added much besides the Rainbow concept, which quickly became stale. His GL run was basically one big blockbuster after another, without much substance. He added nothing to Hal Jordan's character either.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Superman has Seigel, Shuster, Maggin, and Morrison

I think there's a lot better Green Lantern stories out there than Johns stuff, but I guess he's the most popular.
    As far as Superman goes I'd be hard pressed to put Morrison in there. If he's in there it's for All Star. Which while great is just one story and didn't really influence the character going forward. It would be just as easy for me to throw Moore's name in their for Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorow or to a lesser extent For the Man Who has Everything. Morrison's Action run is pretty good but it's hardly the best comic around right now and I doubt it really sticks in favor of the more traditional origin.

BANNED

As far as Superman goes I'd be hard pressed to put Morrison in there. If he's in there it's for All Star. Which while great is just one story and didn't really influence the character going forward. It would be just as easy for me to throw Moore's name in their for Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorow or to a lesser extent For the Man Who has Everything. Morrison's Action run is pretty good but it's hardly the best comic around right now and I doubt it really sticks in favor of the more traditional origin.
    Yes it has, all three Superman writers (Lobdell, Diggle, Snyder) site All Star Superman as their biggest draw for Superman.

Replace Kane with Finger and Robinson and then maybe you'll have something.
    "The Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker side of the Doctor’s nature. Somewhere between his 12th and final incarnation."

I'd say so. There were times during his run (Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night) where GL was the most popular/talked about character in comics. I don't remember that ever happening before. Though the movie kinda destroyed all the momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Despite having a lengthy run, Johns hasn't really added much besides the Rainbow concept, which quickly became stale. His GL run was basically one big blockbuster after another, without much substance. He added nothing to Hal Jordan's character either.
    He kind of was about to do so I say, but you're right, it's the event madness that pretty much was soffucating every other story bit and arc. And at the same time was also building the character I'm talking about. There's a scene were Superman asks Hal "When was the last time you took off your ring?"
    That was interesting but never too much followed up upon, just in the first few issues of the relaunched title. Deconstructing Hal's bravado and maverick mentality as a severe case of workaholic-stakhanovism of a man incapable of just keeping his feet on the ground had a lot of potential.
    But then Sinestro arrives, and then the Indigo tribe, and black hand, then he's dead etc etc. The event fatigue could be used to enlarge this character trait, but it feel flat.

I love Geoff Johns' lanterns, but too much ideas with enormous potential got lost in the clusterf*ck of events and color wars.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Not to derail here but yes, All Star has influenced a lot going forward. I mean namely the entire Superman character since the New 52. It's the most important Superman story in recent decades. Morrison, for me, is arguably one of the most influential Superman writers and will only become more so in the years to come.

The guys who created the characters, Broome and Kane, are certainly the quintessential GL creators, but Johns is certainly number two, my own personal opinions aside.

Speaking personally, and despite some very off choices later in the run, I preferred Englehart's work.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

THE SUPERIOR MEMBER! USERNAME TAKEN's Avatar

Superman has Seigel, Shuster, and Maggin
    Flash has Waid
    Wonder Woman has Marston and Perez
    Swamp Thing has Moore

Is John's now a name that from the end of his run all other writers will be compared to? Imo it's hard to think otherwise. The character may have never been more popular than under John's pen. And the franchise prospered.
    Yes.

I've read older GL stories and Johns runs has been the best IMHO.
    Adults struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life when the answer is obvious to the smallest child: because it's not real. - Grant Morrison

Flash has Waid
    Even this is debatable.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I give it to Ron Marz. He did more with Kyle Rayner as a character than what was ever done to Hal Jordan.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.