Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    This can't be true since 37% of DC's output is Batman!
    Be careful when speaking. You create the world around you with your words.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Well, as the Boomers grow older they have more incentive to point out that being older doesn't mean being dead.
    Sure, but Stern and DeMatteis and DeFalco weren't any older at that point than Stan was back when he made Aunt May ancient and at death's doorstep.

It could also come down to wanting to explore something new with Aunt May. She'd been treated as a walking heart attack for so long, it was really cool to see her come into her own. I loved the days when she hung out with Nathan Lubensky and the crew.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Sure, but Stern and DeMatteis and DeFalco weren't any older at that point than Stan was back when he made Aunt May ancient and at death's doorstep.

It could also come down to wanting to explore something new with Aunt May. She'd been treated as a walking heart attack for so long, it was really cool to see her come into her own. I loved the days when she hung out with Nathan Lubensky and the crew.
    It was -- but that said, I still don't think there was any need to bring her back from the dead.

Aunt May's death in #400 was a beautiful issue. I also liked how she was portrayed by JMD in general, like when she snapped at MJ. Aunt May was portrayed as a strong woman who had dealt with a lot of tragedy during the years. But ever since she was "resurrected", she's been handled (mostly) really well, so it's hard to be upset that they brought her back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lars C View Post
    Aunt May's death in #400 was a beautiful issue. I also liked how she was portrayed by JMD in general, like when she snapped at MJ. Aunt May was portrayed as a strong woman who had dealt with a lot of tragedy during the years. But ever since she was "resurrected", she's been handled (mostly) really well, so it's hard to be upset that they brought her back.
    Much as I enjoyed what Straczynski did with the character, I still don't believe it was enough to justify bringing that character back.

I just try to forget she ever died. Same with the marriage. Better to not get into those details. I think it's nice to have her around now, too. One of the finest moments of SLott's run was when May was proud when Peter had gotten the job at Horizon Labs.

It was -- but that said, I still don't think there was any need to bring her back from the dead.
    I don't see the need, either. It's interesting because OMD seems like a concerted effort to bring Spider-Man's world back in line with a mid-70s to mid-80s approach, only to have Dan Slott eventually move things foward in a much more interesting way.

I can only speculate, but I think OMD was Joe Quesada's baby, whereas Slott really wanted to play with character progression. I can't see the kind of stuff Slott's done being in line with Quesada's vision, not that Joe Q cares right now. I'm sure he's very happy with the book's direction.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Much as I enjoyed what Straczynski did with the character, I still don't believe it was enough to justify bringing that character back.
    It was the first and only natural death in Peter's world.

It was the first and only natural death in Peter's world.
    Yep. And it was undone.

Well -- unless one counts Peter being present when Captain marvel passed away.

This can't be true since 37% of DC's output is Batman!
    I only read 2 titles from DC so it's true Batman and Red hood

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    Nobody's perfect.

Yep. And it was undone.

Well -- unless one counts Peter being present when Captain marvel passed away.
    I don't, because he wasn't that close to him. I was thinking more along the lines of comparing May's death to that of Uncle Ben, Captain Stacy and Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by Phelpzy View Post
    Hard to go wrong with Snyder these days--even when I'm reluctant about the concept, the execution is fantastic!

The dude's intense!

I don't see much of an advantage to making Aunt May younger. Her health is supposed to result in occasional problems for Peter Parker.

Aunt May's age isn't that implausible.

Richard Parker is ten years younger than Uncle Ben.
    It really isn't established whether May or Ben is older. My assumption was always that they were roughly the same age.

If Richard was pushing forty when Peter was born, Ben and May would have been pushing fifty at about the same time. So they'd be in their Mid-60s during Amazing Fantasy #15, and May would be in her mid to late seventies in the current comics.

Granted, she's getting close to the age where people die suddenly rather than unexpectedly.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Formerly,
    Cyberman

Blog,
    What Would Spidey Do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    I don't see much of an advantage to making Aunt May younger. Her health is supposed to result in occasional problems for Peter Parker.
    My problem with that is that, for me, the health issues play too big of a part in May's overall character (warning: subjective opinon). The reason I like ultimate May so much is that she's actually an integral part of Peter's life...well, was. There was character development, she had an active influence over him and, most important of all, she didn't spend half her time at death's door. 616 May probably knows the cold breath of the reaper better than Jean Gray does.

What I'm trying to say is that a younger May might be a good step away from a helpless character that Peter needs to save all the time. It'd be one way to turn her into something more interesting.