Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'll buy it tomorrow. The art is a little weird in places with some faces looking oddly photo-sourced or something. I've never read any Nocenti, some of these lines hurt me. See how it turns out.

Looks like somebody loaned Ann Nocenti a stack of Kabuki comics.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

I gotta admit, I kind of liked the preview and would like to read more. The "kitchen" line from the Japanese man did not seem cliche to me, given who it was coming from and the point he was trying to make/achieve.

Never thought I'd say this about a Nocenti book, but if reviews are positive, I might give this a shot.
    Monthly: Animal Man, Batman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman
    Currently reading in Trades: Hellboy LE Vol. 1

I think Nocenti's sensibilities are a great fit for Katana. The art is a little hard to follow in places but is stylistically also a good fit for the property. Good calls by editorial here, this looks to me like the right creatives on the right book.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
    What is so terrible with reading about Rape or Sexism or discrimination against women?
    It's monotonous, adolescent, and it demeans female characters to always be pulling water from that well.

It's also handled in a desperately unsubtle manner. There are ways to show Katanna as a powerful figure without her having to stuggle against an Evil Man who tells her she should be a Good Little Wife.

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

I read the interiew so I will probably give this a shot. I am a fan of the Katana character so I hope it goes well.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls, Ms. Marvel

Huh. That's actually good. I shall check it out.

I really like Katana, but I'm still on the fence with this book. Everything that's said about Samurai, Ninja, Yakuza, and Kurosawa, sounds good, but based on what we're seeing, it looks like it's going more towards the anime/manga route, instead.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Gd preview...gonna gv it a fair chance.

those god-damned goggles chipsnopotatoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
    I gotta admit, I kind of liked the preview and would like to read more. The "kitchen" line from the Japanese man did not seem cliche to me, given who it was coming from and the point he was trying to make/achieve.

Never thought I'd say this about a Nocenti book, but if reviews are positive, I might give this a shot.
    I thought the "kitchen" line was a little dated if the guy was looking to demean her. That may have been true during the Ralph Kramden era, but with the proliferation of cooking shows like Top Chef, etc., I don't think that activity can be relegated to the "little woman" anymore. The male/female ratio in the classes I've attended have been a pretty even split. Also, the popularity of open layouts where you have kitchens right smack in your family or living room makes cooking a lot more enjoyable and banishes the notion of a wife slaving away over a hot stove in a small cramped room.

As for Japanese men expecting subservience from their wives, I also wonder if that's still true for most in this day and age or if this is just a racial stereotype.

I'm actually really excited for this book. More so than most everything else on my DC pull tomorrow.

I'm not a fan of her Catwoman. I was okay with, but not fully stoked on her Green Arrow.

Katana seems like the perfect fit for her though. I can fully see amazing stuff coming out of this series. :D
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

Keyboard Warrior Y The Last Nerd's Avatar

After stopping with #9, I recently picked up Green Arrow #10 - 16 when I heard that Jeff Lemire was taking over starting with #17 (thank you, collector mentality!). Reading them was like swimming in a 50m pool filled with vomit. There is no way I'd ever read a series written by Nocenti ever again. "Katana" is destined for cancellation.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I'm glad she's active today because no one is ever willing to go back and realize how cringe worthy she was on her "classic" Daredevil run.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Kuwanger View Post
    I'm glad she's active today because no one is ever willing to go back and realize how cringe worthy she was on her "classic" Daredevil run.
    I gave her Daredevil a try back in the day, but that Typhoid Mary Sue character didn't interest me.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

Quote Originally Posted by Will.S View Post
    I'm tempted to give it a shot but I hope it doesn't pull an Amethyst/Team 7.
    Katana is a cool chick, but this is exactly what's going to happen.