Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Have you read Secret Six?
    No, but I read everything else unfortunately.

What about Jim Starlin for at least one of the books?

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    Then you missed her best work by far... It indicated she would be great for Red Lanterns.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

If I could play editor:

Green Lantern: Robert Venditti & Joe Bennett
    Green Lantern Corps: Mike Costa & CAFU
    New Guardians: Matt Kindt & Kenneth Rocafort
    Red Lanterns: Josh Fialkov & Scott Clark

Green Lantern is a high profile single superhero book. While Venditti's work on X-O isn't really groundbreaking, its storytelling is solid and it has the feel of a major, relevant book to its universe. I think Venditti would do a good job steering the transition to a post-Johns GL line. I know Joe Bennett just went back to Marvel, but his work on Hawkman was so great on such a crappy book that I think he deserves to be rewarded with a high profile assignment like this, so in my editorial fantasy he returns to DC for this book.

Mike Costa did a great job on Blackhawks and clearly does well with team books and military themed books. Put him here. Probably wouldn't sell well but I think it would read great. Costa worked with CAFU before, and while I thought CAFU's art on Blackhawks was just okay, CAFU has done well with sci-fi assignments and I think his art would excel on a book like this where he could blend his sci-fi and character-driven sensibilities.

I don't know much about Matt Kindt, but his work on Frankenstein was weird and intelligent, and I think something like New Guardians needs to be significantly more weird and intelligent. People are wondering if Kenneth Rocafort is leaving Superman? Send him here, pair him with either one of his ridiculously good colorists (Blond or Sunny), and have him blow minds in the Lantern color spectrum.

I think Fialkov deserves a massive promotion within the DCU. He can write like no one's business. I feel like if Snyder or Diggle has to step down on Batman or Action, Fialkov could step right in to those top-line DCU titles. I'd like him on something way bigger and more important to the DCU than Red Lanterns, but if you look at what he did on I, Vampire, he is clearly a great fit for darker, complex, villain-driven books. Scott Clark is on a Martian Manhunter backup, but that's such a small assignment that could easily be rotated to something else...have him finish up an arc on that and move here. Clark did great fill-in work on I, Vampire, and could use that darker style here on Red Lanterns, pairing up with Fialkov again.

I'd love Gail on New Guardians.
    I need a gay-friendly writer there to continue Arkillo's character progression in the way it is going now.

Quote Originally Posted by Samy View Post
    I'll agree that Gibbons used the details of Moore's work more than Johns did, but Johns' run would still have been a vastly different animal without Moore's contributions.
    Building upon previous works isn't the same as "milking" them. most of us are into ongoing comics because of how the universe in here evolves. Green Lantern especially is built upon everyone's ideas (look at how Ion was woven into the Color Corps and Parallax was dealt with). Even post Nu52 the GL-verse is still built on the same foundations.

Quote Originally Posted by WhitOro View Post
    I liked her Wonder Woman, mind you not everyone did and so we got a minute of JMS on the title in a reboot and then yet another reboot after that. But I saw from WW and her less stellar Superman run that she likes myths and legend, that's an aspect that could work for Red Lanterns who seek prophecy.

She also writes strong females so I wouldn't mind her bringing in Soranik (who seems to be AWOL) or Arisa for GLC. I'd like to see more of the GLC in GLC :p And she created a Khund Green Lantern in Wonder Woman (although that Wonder Woman no longer exists, so could be continuity problems)

Or maybe Gail will take on Kyle Rayner? His story spawned her site "Women in Refrigerators", that cold be trippy to have her now writing him.

I'd like to see more of John Stewart. I'd like to see Corps members take on threats that are worthy of there being an entire Corps. Earth has other heroes, so there's not really a need for a GLC member to be here all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    I have literally 50+ pages of notes on character arcs, story structure, villain revamps and creation, etc and it was EASY because this is such rich story loam.
    I figured you'd be in this thread going on how great thou art while complaining about everything that made the titles unique and sold so many issues. I seem to recall your main complaints about Geoff Johns in other threads were that you have all these great stories and wanted DC making them for you.

Here's my picks:

Green Lantern - Mark Waid: Waid is a consummate expert in classic DC characters and wrote an amazing Hal Jordan in the Brave/Bold limited series. He's a bit on the safe and conservative side but I think that's good for the core book that needs to appeal to the mainstream. There are few people who can do straight-out classic clean superheroes like him. He really understands the genre, knows the universe better than his own pockets and would be right at home at a high profile DC book. The only problem is that I believe there's currently bad blood between him and DC, but DC really needs to start mending fences with writers because they have a really weak stable right now.

Green Lantern Corps - Chris Claremont: One of Claremont's strengths is his ability to take a rich, deep, detailed mythology and add to it while maintaining continuity and respect for what's gone before. The Corps, with its wide character and locale array presents just the kind of playing field that Claremont would be at home with. Another of his strengths is the ability to play with a really huge cast and rotate spotlight fairly equally, and make a crapload of characters all have unique voices. Again, something that would be great for a Corps book. He's no stranger to epic space stories either, frequently bringing cosmic situations into his work.

Green Lantern New Guardians - Peter David: PAD is a strong characterization worker, and one of his most famous works is on a primary colored character whose powers reflect his psychology. He could really delve into the psychology behind representatives of different Corps and build believable characters embodying the emotional spectrum. For a book focusing so strongly on the seven emotions, I can't think of many writers I'd trust more.

Red Lanterns - Craig Kyle/Chris Yost: The book's established feel is dark, violent and bloody. When thinking of those words, the writer, or in this case writers, that immediately come to mind are the guys who had a very critically acclaimed run on Claw Force. They're very good with continuity and seem to have no problem playing in a sandbox shared with other series.

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    Exactly.

The modern day GL mythology is almost entirely Johns and its even reflected in other media (GL cartoon and movie). Johns pretty much re-defined the franchise with tons of retcons (mostly brilliant ones) and some sharp intelligent storytelling.

The next GL writer will have to do what Hickman (on Avengers) and Remender (on Captain America) did after long acclaimed runs by the previous writers, take everything in a different direction.
    I didn't see a whole lot of Johns influence in the movie besides the oddly placed after credits scene.

Quote Originally Posted by pikul View Post
    I don't get why so many people wants Fialkov on GL.
    He's unproven on sci-fi stuff.
    I, Vampire was ok but honestly, I always find it a little bit hollow (it's obvious now that Sorrentino is gone). Nothing that shows he's the right man for the job.
    His horror skills are more suited for Red Lanterns.

They should put Tomasi on GL for a little while. He knows what to do.
    Fialkov is a solid writer and he's good with characterization, for me the Green Lantern book needs a writer that focuses more on Hal and his supporting cast and rebuild itself on character work before moving on to the larger concept stuff.

LA now, NYC born & raised Ziza9's Avatar

I wouldn't mind if they went outside the box a bit and placed one or two sci-fi authors on a book or two. An Alastair Reynolds for a more hard sci-fi approach used to working in a vast, fully realized world or James Corey, or Iain Banks. Just examples. Some books could be more hard sci-fi and others could be more sci-fantasy. Just a thought I had.
    Child of the Bronze Age.
    My Con schedule: Wondercon, E3, SDCC

The Padre (Guy Padre) @ http://godhatesgeeks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    Have you read Secret Six?
    I have read Batgirl and Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Samy View Post
    Green Lantern New Guardians - Peter David
    It's unlikely to happen now, with his health problems.

Jaeger secret-keeper Sandor Clegane's Avatar

I think the best creative decision would be to copy the Flash.

Basically, find a creative team like Manapul and Buccellato. That was a similar situation. They inherited a Geoff Johns megastory in development (Flash Rebirth, Flashpoint, etc.), but took things into a more streamlined, straightforward direction. Instead of world-building, they focused on story and character. Basically, they went smaller, and to great success too. Ideally, that's what I'd like to see from whatever writer ends up on the Hal Jordan series. More Earth-based, more human cast members, still sci fi action, periodic tie-ins to the GLC series, etc.

And from my own wishlist...maybe even some conflicts and villains NOT related to the Guardians.

I'd like it to be Brandon Graham (Prophet) but I really doubt he'd want to work with DC's micro-managing editors. Second pick would be James Roberts (Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye) but he would be a real long-shot since he's not done any Big Two work.

I thought it might be David Goyer but he'll be co-writing his 13 issue arc with Johns and it's too early in the year for it to be that.

Johns did give major props to Peter Tomasi in his farewell blog, but I doubt it will be him. There's little enthusiasm for him and what with all the writers coming off, DC are sweeping the board for a brand-new team.

I'm guessing Simone will be involved and most likely Venditti. Venditti got shuffled off Constantine pretty quickly, probably because he got asked to pitch something for Green Lantern and Didio liked what he heard. Diggle seems the obvious choice to go for on the main title as he can do sci-fi and superheroes, doesn't have that much work on his plate and is a safe pick.

Art-wise I reckon we'll see Lopresti on the main title.
    The two most powerful warriors are patience and time - Leo Tolstoy

Quote Originally Posted by pikul View Post
    It's unlikely to happen now, with his health problems.
    Three of my four picks are extremely unlikely to happen, not just Peter David.

Kyle/Yost might be possible, I don't know how busy they are right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PretenderNX01 View Post

I figured you'd be in this thread going on how great thou art while complaining about everything that made the titles unique and sold so many issues. I seem to recall your main complaints about Geoff Johns in other threads were that you have all these great stories and wanted DC making them for you.
    Haha, do I know you? You seem to be thinking a lot about me, but I can't say I recognize your screen name. Have we spoken?

I want DC doing work that is creative, and different, and smart. That you feel different is fine, but this kind of jibe is unnecessary and adds nothing.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/