Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default The X-Men and the Case of the Exploding Communion Wafers

In the newest examination of the strangest comic book stories of all-time, CSBG explores when the X-Men foiled a plot involving the revelation that a mutant was pope and exploding Holy Communion wafers.

Full article here.

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    In the newest examination of the strangest comic book stories of all-time, CSBG explores when the X-Men foiled a plot involving the revelation that a mutant was pope and exploding Holy Communion wafers.

Full article here.
    I loved Austen's run. It was complete over the top insanity. It was fun , soap opera insanity at its best. In fact at the same point Austen did the Church of Humanity , over in X-Treme X-Men , Chris Claremont was doing such a fucked up sequel plot wise to God Loves , Man Kills ...it was just a fucking mess as a plot and to this day I can't describe it. Least with Austen , his was a simple insane soap opera plot.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

Is that really any crazier than The Joker meeting Ayatollah Khomeini and becoming the U.N. ambassador for Iran?
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Yes. Yes it is. (And I think Brian's done that story, too.)
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by Ood Omega View Post
    Is that really any crazier than The Joker meeting Ayatollah Khomeini and becoming the U.N. ambassador for Iran?
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Yes. Yes it is. (And I think Brian's done that story, too.)
    All of Austen's stories were like that. From what he claimed I believe he wanted to do stuff he saw off soap operas and use it. Like we had a nurse character fall in love with a coma patient , we had a fucked up wedding show where it ended in crazy , and all kinds of other things.

What was best , was seeing the fans go ape shit crazy. It was the best run Uncanny had in years and one that really Fraction seemed to do a little of. But not as much as Austen. They need him back for fun.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    All of Austen's stories were like that. From what he claimed I believe he wanted to do stuff he saw off soap operas and use it. Like we had a nurse character fall in love with a coma patient , we had a fucked up wedding show where it ended in crazy , and all kinds of other things.

What was best , was seeing the fans go ape shit crazy. It was the best run Uncanny had in years and one that really Fraction seemed to do a little of. But not as much as Austen. They need him back for fun.
    So basically you like stuff when it is lowbrow and upsets longtime fans of the franchise?
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    So basically you like stuff when it is lowbrow and upsets longtime fans of the franchise?
    Austen's run was about fun. It was like getting hit with a dose of , hey I can do as much crazy shit as possible and the X-Men will still be the X-Men. I loved Juggernaunt as a hero with Sammy , I loved Havok as a leader. Polaris being an edge character who you never knew who would do something from one issue to the next. It was the ultimate in fun.

I loved watching the fans online do 30-50 page threads dedicated to how Austen was abusing their childhoods . It was so funny and when you would suggest they drop the book due to pain it was costing them. They would cry out "Nooo , noooo I can outlast him !" The same deal happened in a lesser extent to Fraction too years later.

We need Chuck Austen to return in style in 2013. To take the X-Men back to edge again.

I liked Lionheart and Blazing Skull from his Avengers run, and his Exiles was quite fun.

His X-Men the little I've read of it was absolutely atrocious though.

My god, it's even dumber than I thought. And I thought it was pretty dumb.

I loved Austen's run.
    So you're that one guy!
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Austens runs had its moments, Sammy and Juggernaut was a very touching theme throughout his run but where Austen ultimately failed was in the execution of his soap opera themes. Garth Ennis is over the top but he never takes the themes seriously which would defeat the entire purpose of the message he is ultimately trying to convey. Austen tried to be over the top but took himself too seriously and it was reflected in some seriously horrible stories. Angel and Husk having sex in mid air quoting directly from Romeo and Juliet, the Draco storyline were at best pretentious, at worst something that editing should never have allowed to been published.

In the end that is the irony of Austen's run, it is certainly memorable just as he intended, but memorable as the worst run in XMen history.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    My god, it's even dumber than I thought. And I thought it was pretty dumb.

So you're that one guy!

Yeeess...

Austen reminded me of Vince Russo in a way. You can google him and his work (which mirrored Austen's during the Attitude era) . I would love to see what insane shit Russo would come up with each week. Morrison was doing this cool sci-fi take on those classic Claremont stories in a way. I loved that and I loved the approach of another writer realizing he couldn't match Morrison so go 180 degrees from it.

The only knock on Austen I had was that Romeo & Juliet storyline and the revolving door artists. Had they gave him 1 artist and all...would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Parnell View Post
    Austens runs had its moments, Sammy and Juggernaut was a very touching theme throughout his run but where Austen ultimately failed was in the execution of his soap opera themes. Garth Ennis is over the top but he never takes the themes seriously which would defeat the entire purpose of the message he is ultimately trying to convey. Austen tried to be over the top but took himself too seriously and it was reflected in some seriously horrible stories. Angel and Husk having sex in mid air quoting directly from Romeo and Juliet, the Draco storyline were at best pretentious, at worst something that editing should never have allowed to been published.

In the end that is the irony of Austen's run, it is certainly memorable just as he intended, but memorable as the worst run in XMen history.
    I'm sorry but I give that to Claremont's second run. Which tossed a million characters like the Neo , Crimson Pirates and more at readers in a 10 issue span and basically was like.... FUCKING LIKE IT PEOPLE. There was no real ...build to the nameless villains Claremont threw out and his stories went nowhere quick. His 3rd run was better but pretty damn boring next to Austen's.

I always loved that aspect ...they booted Austen off the book and the main X-Men books went to shit quick. Claremont was having storylines change monthly . Plus it was boring. Milligan was busy believing he could relive every 90's X-Men cliche storyline possible when he last read the books. The only book worth a damn was New X-Men helmed by Kyle & Yost who were like....lets turn this shit upside down and go crazy.

New X-Men was so good at the time. It was like a breath of fresh air in a boring world of Uncanny and the 90's shit filled X-Men .

I'm sorry but I give that to Claremont's second run. Which tossed a million characters like the Neo , Crimson Pirates and more at readers in a 10 issue span and basically was like.... FUCKING LIKE IT PEOPLE. There was no real ...build to the nameless villains Claremont threw out and his stories went nowhere quick. His 3rd run was better but pretty damn boring next to Austen's.

I always loved that aspect ...they booted Austen off the book and the main X-Men books went to shit quick. Claremont was having storylines change monthly . Plus it was boring. Milligan was busy believing he could relive every 90's X-Men cliche storyline possible when he last read the books. The only book worth a damn was New X-Men helmed by Kyle & Yost who were like....lets turn this shit upside down and go crazy.

New X-Men was so good at the time. It was like a breath of fresh air in a boring world of Uncanny and the 90's shit filled X-Men .
    Claremonts second run is right up there as pure dreck. Its funny but I remember thinking that the XMen world was where good writers came to die. Milligan, Kelly, Waid, Fraction, Brubaker had some incredible runs but their tenure on X-Men was meh.

Does even Claremont like Claremont's second run?
    "We must fight on!"
    "We'll die. We fight and we die, that's how it goes."
    "Then we die gloriously!"
    "There's an important word there, and it's not gloriously."
    - Only You Can Save Mankind

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Parnell View Post
    Claremonts second run is right up there as pure dreck. Its funny but I remember thinking that the XMen world was where good writers came to die. Milligan, Kelly, Waid, Fraction, Brubaker had some incredible runs but their tenure on X-Men was meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles RB View Post
    Does even Claremont like Claremont's second run?
    The best Claremont work I liked post X-Men by him was Fantastic Four. I really enjoyed that . Always loved the Reed in Doom's armor storyline.