Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robbin View Post
    His greatest strength as a superhero character to me is his lack of superpowers. I am not a huge Batman fan, but I do like the Bat world because it is not filled with godlike beings and flavor of the day mutants.
    Yeah I connect with the Batman franchise because it's not completely bananas out there. People flying on their own seems kind of absurd, but the dude swinging around is more palatable to me I don't know why.

I connect because of Batman's drive, discipline, and self sacrifice. Whenever I am too tired to do something, Batman keeps me going.

Batman is great because he's a super hero, a detective, a ninja, a karate master. You can tell all sorts of stories with him. Everyone has their version of Batman in their head and all of them can be good.

I don't know why I connect with him. The fact that he doesn't have any powers doesn't impress me or anything, it's just gives you different kinds of stories than a Superman or a Green Lantern. When I was younger I wanted super heroes to be as realistic as possible and as dark and grim as possible. I've sort of grown out of that, but Batman is still my favorite super hero.

People say Superman is less of a hero because he has less of a risk, but I look at it like he has all this power and could rule the world if he wants but chooses to protect it. Just like Bruce has all this money and can be a rich douche and buy a pet monkey and travel around the world in jumbo jets with a top hat made of diamonds, but he chooses to beat up bad guys and try to make Gotham a better place.

Hes a struggler, i can connect with that.

BANNED

I only watched the movies and i think it handled a real life consequences and the politics of vigilantes well. I am in the process of reading the Frank Miller comic. I mean the Nolan movies.
    Last edited by Shikidum; 02-12-2013 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I don't connect with Batman either. I find him pretty boring actually, though I like Morrison's work. I also really liked TAS.

I grew up pretty low income so Batman being so vastly rich was really off-putting to me. I liked when he showed up in the JLA though.
    I like that he's a good person at heart, whatever he thinks about himself. I think he genuinely cares about the citizens in Gotham. Also, I admire (to an extent) how immersed in what hes doing.

I like Batman because of both his lack of powers, being filthly rich he could have someone else do the work, and because he doesn't compromise his principles no matter how dark the world gets. I like Green Hornet for much the same reasons.

Too many super hero books go over the top with crazy battles involving energy beams and magic spells that make the battles unrelatable but Batman using his strength and technology allow me to understand the battle. As for being rich, he could pay someone else to be Batman or simply dump a lot of money into the police and feel like he has done his part but he doesn't hide behind his money and mansion, choosing to be down in the trenches; it is nice to see someone rich working street level and making an actual difference. With all the anti heroes who have no problem with killing and brutality, it isrefreshing that Batman keeps his no guns, no killing rule; his villains get more murderous but he does not though he does have to fight harder. It is refreshing to see a hero not be compromised by the more modern nod to excessive brutality and lawless murder.
    Chill!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    No BatGod was Frank Miller's creation. Morrison's Batman is only absurdly competent mentally.
    I always thought that Morrison made him nigh on superhuman in his JLA run. Miller, in writing his parody which no-one got, was taking Batman to his most absurd end.
    "Mistah Joker, he dead."

I don't relate to Batman, either. I like Batman because Batman stories are a lot of fun. They can be nearly realistic, or even over-the-top sci-fi. Batman's not my favorite hero, but he's probably the most versatile and probably has the greatest volume of good stories to tell.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
    I always thought that Morrison made him nigh on superhuman in his JLA run. Miller, in writing his parody which no-one got, was taking Batman to his most absurd end.
    He was mentally hyper-competent, but his physical skills were on par with most Batman characterizations. Really, it's people like Miller, Waid, Bruce Timm, etc. that perpetuated Batgod.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    He was mentally hyper-competent, but his physical skills were on par with most Batman characterizations. Really, it's people like Miller, Waid, Bruce Timm, etc. that perpetuated Batgod.

Bruce Timm and Mark Waid need to be stressed.

I Kick Crime in the Balls The Greatest Hero's Avatar

No reason at all. I like his rogues gallery, that's most of it. Batman's too Batmany for me, on the whole. He can do all these ridiculously insane things. Why? Because he's Batman.

Eh.

He's got good stories, but I don't feel for the guy. If I were him, I'd put a batarang through his worst enemies' hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    I connect because of Batman's drive, discipline, and self sacrifice. Whenever I am too tired to do something, Batman keeps me going.
    Agreed. I always think "WWBD"

I would say the reason I connect with Batman is he because he's just a man. A man who has pushed himself to near physical perfection, who has unquestionable determination, self sacrifice and willingness to do the right thing, even when doing the right thing is the hardest thing to do. He has shown that you can push yourself and achieve the goal you're aiming for and even when being right isn't easy you can't give up. These are the traits that make me respect Batman. And I have thought WWBD.

I like him because he almost always does the right thing, even if it isn't at all easy or reasonable. I can annoy people because I always do the right thing but I too understand that letting your morals slide a little can eventually lead to them sliding a lot.

I connect with his determination too. When he puts his mind on something, he goes after it full-throttle until it is finished, and I try to do that too.

Lastly I like how he doesn't mind embarrassing himself (the way he acts as Bruce Wayne sometimes) and never has to have credit for his work as Batman. How many people in real life can say they wouldn't want to brag about being a superhero? I sometimes do acts of kindness that I do for the sake of doing it and not because I want people's attention. Batman does that too.