Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Voss View Post
    I think that's the biggest point someone can make. If you are feeling cold and detached from Hickman's work then why aren't you supporting Avengers Assemble? Assuming the sales figures above are correct it seems that most people don't seem to care.
    Avengers Assemble has been great since DeConnick took over. Those (like me) who prefer a bigger focus on characterization should give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    And it's not all that surprising that a lot of people didn't like Bendis Avengers either. Like Hickman, you can say it was different. For some, change isn't a good thing. I think with Bendis at least we can say after the fact it worked as far as keeping readers. For Hickman, it's too soon to make the final call... we'll see.
    I don't get why people are writting that they liked Bendis so they don't like Hickman or the reverse they are different people with different styles liking one or disliking one for that matter is no promise you will enjoy or not enjoy the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Upper_Krust View Post
    When was the last time a story had a cliffhangar and by that I don't just mean a reveal, I mean an actual dire situation?

In fact when was the last time Marvel actually made a comic? I know that sounds ridiculous but think about it - they write EVERYTHING for the trade. That means they take ONE STORY and divide it into (usually) SIX parts. Comics today are not designed AS comics...and it shows.
    Ah, because the Incursion, the collapse of two Earths which would result to the destruction of two universes, with no solution in sight is not a dire situation. Hickman should up the stakes more! Like have an omnipotent villain kill the Avengers and then bring them back to life again and also commit suicide in the process.

Trade paperbacks are not comics? Even if they have sequential art storytelling? WOW. So Maus is not a comic? Blankets is not a comic? Will Eisner also is not doing comics, why are the awards for comic creators named after him?!!!
    I don't think there's a current mainstream American superhero comic book that can touch Hawkeye right now. Brilliant all the way. Entertaining and technically outstanding at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by celticguy View Post
    I don't get why people are writting that they liked Bendis so they don't like Hickman or the reverse they are different people with different styles liking one or disliking one for that matter is no promise you will enjoy or not enjoy the other.
    I for one, loved the characters of Bendis' run but am loving the scope and sense of urgency in Hickman's run. Different strokes from different folks.
    Ranking the Periods of X-Men History
    X-Book Marvel NOW Timeline
    X-Poster of the Month: April 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Quote Originally Posted by Blade X View Post
    That's because it's not the Avengers, it's JLA/JLU and the Legion of Superheroes.
    IE. Jim Shooter's run, or even Busiek's run towards the end of his run during the Kang arc.

I wish your arguments were more rinse than repeat.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013

Top Ten Magic Bitches

Welcome to the Future. HeroxMatt2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AgentFelix View Post
    I for one, loved the characters of Bendis' run but am loving the scope and sense of urgency in Hickman's run. Different strokes from different folks.
    I agree entirely. They have a different means of writing, and different means of approaching characters and "character moments".
    You are an apocalypse dreaming of butterflies
    and
    we are a patchwork of miracles.

And for all the complaints that it's not focusing on the main characters, I get where Hickman seems to be going with this. 3 issue introductory arc of the reason to expand past the movie cast. 3 issues providing origins for 3 obscure characters, and the presumably back to normal. I don't think it would've held many readers through single ship but I think it was scheduled this way due to double ship. Usually in 3 months you just would've gotten that beginning arc. Now in 3 months, you get that beginning arc, plus an explanation for who some of the randos are
    Ranking the Periods of X-Men History
    X-Book Marvel NOW Timeline
    X-Poster of the Month: April 2013

And for all the complaints that it's not focusing on the main characters, I get where Hickman seems to be going with this. 3 issue introductory arc of the reason to expand past the movie cast. 3 issues providing origins for 3 obscure characters, and the presumably back to normal. I don't think it would've held many readers through single ship but I think it was scheduled this way due to double ship. Usually in 3 months you just would've gotten that beginning arc. Now in 3 months, you get that beginning arc, plus an explanation for who some of the randos are
    Exactly, it's a slower kind of storyline that helps build for what's to come. I'd much rather this kind of exploration and in-depth story telling as opposed to being instantly gratified with a standard, opening story arc. And that isn't for everyone, but it just comes down to whether or not you enjoy what he's doing at the moment, as opposed to what enjoying what he's going to be doing in six months. They can always just collect it later.
    and

I loved several of the characters in Bendis' run...just didn't love the way he wrote them.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013

Top Ten Magic Bitches

and that is fine too. All the I love this because it is not Bendis is feint praise. If the best people can say is it is not written by someone else they did not like what does that say about the book. It is like people sayig they like Pepsi because they hate Coke. It is a weak endorsement. Bendis is done so is Stan Lee, Shooter, Johns and any other creative you has moved on. Hickman should be judged on his own merits although I think it is too early to do that.

I really loved Hickman's work on Fantastic Four. However, I don't think that he is doing as good a job here. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent book, but it's pretty boring to me. I think he is trying to hard to make this really epic. I think it needs a bit more action. I haven't read New Avengers yet, btw.

Action is kind of the easy way out, though, isn't it? I mean, if it has zero bearing on the story is just action for the sake of action, it doesn't really help or make it a series that forces someone to buy it. Winghead, the OP, said he thinks this series is style with no substance. Having redundant action scenes in the series is just going to add to that perception he has.
    and

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorX View Post
    I really loved Hickman's work on Fantastic Four. However, I don't think that he is doing as good a job here. Don't get me wrong, it's a decent book, but it's pretty boring to me. I think he is trying to hard to make this really epic. I think it needs a bit more action. I haven't read New Avengers yet, btw.
    If you only read one of the two books, read New Avengers.

I really like BOTH titles. I like how New Avengers built INTO Avengers. I have a sneaking suspicion that what Tony is doing w/ Cap in Avengers is trying to make up for what happened in NEW Avengers - based on what Tony said about making it up to him (Steve).

Definitely the flagship, driving books of the MU right now, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    IE. Jim Shooter's run, or even Busiek's run towards the end of his run during the Kang arc.

I wish your arguments were more rinse than repeat.
    Neither the Busiek or Shooter runs had JLA and LSH ripoff members on the team. Also, they didn't have members on the team who were currently members of other superhero teams.
    Last edited by Blade X; 02-17-2013 at 06:51 PM.