Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast
Results 361 to 375 of 383
  1. #361
    Senior Member Batman9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    2,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecopper12 View Post
    Well, at the recommendation of a friend, I started hunting down and reading all of Grant Morrison's Batman run. I picked up the Black Glove Deluxe Edition Hardcover, and picked up absolutely everything else digitally (save for the Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul) and will pick up Batman Inc when I can, but I had a question.

    What issues can I look forward to?
    What issues can will I most likely not enjoy?
    What is your overall opinion of Grant Morrison's Batman?

    Please try to keep major spoilers to a minimum. I do not know who the Black Glove is yet, but I will soon enough.
    1. All of them
    2. None of them
    3. Best run in Batman ever

    Seriously. I hope you enjoy it all! It is the cream of the crop when it comes to Batman.

  2. #362
    Member YMCMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Goon City
    Posts
    651

    Default

    1. Once you read the run and everything starts to come together, you'll be able to appreciate and enjoy pretty much all of the issues. Some highlights are the Damian future issues, Island of Mister Mayhew / Space Medicine, and lots more.
    2. Batman and Son (first few issues of the run) are hard to get into at first, but as I said after reading The Black Glove / R.I.P. you'll start to appreciate and enjoy them a lot more in retrospect. The Clown At Midnight is in short story format, and turns a lot of people off by it's confusing writing and fairly ugly visuals. Some of Batman and Robin is pretty disturbing, so that might not be for everyone.
    3. Amazing run

  3. #363
    Junior Member SicSexSix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    199

    Default

    The way this run has been working, the next issue is the one you'll be looking forward to, and so on & so forth. Some stand out more than others, yeah, but once you really start getting into it, you'll be eagerly anticipating whatever issue comes after the one you just read. Hopefully you get caught up soon & can dive into Inc. Vol. 2, then you'll be wishing time speeds up between release dates. I count the days to each new Inc. like some people count days to prescription refills ;-)

    Can't say what you won't enjoy without knowing you, but know this: Even if you find yourself bored or disinterested in a particular issue, don't just skim through it, READ EVERYTHING because you never know what vital clues you may miss. That can get you lost in "WTF?!" land.

    Overall impression? Most excellent. It sucks that it's coming to an end in six months. Part of the fun of this run is going back & re-reading it all, because you'll notice different things, make new connections, insignificant details suddenly become crucial, etc. I take the train to work every day, and instead of messing around on an IPad or Smart Phone, I bring a different TPB with me every day (this week I re-read all four volumes of Hack/Slash), and by virtue of that, over the course of the last year, I've read G-Mo's entire run several times over. Like I said, it's fun to go back to them to look for new clues when the latest issue of Inc. comes out. You'll see... :)

  4. #364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecopper12 View Post
    Well, at the recommendation of a friend, I started hunting down and reading all of Grant Morrison's Batman run. I picked up the Black Glove Deluxe Edition Hardcover, and picked up absolutely everything else digitally (save for the Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul) and will pick up Batman Inc when I can, but I had a question.

    What issues can I look forward to?
    What issues can will I most likely not enjoy?
    What is your overall opinion of Grant Morrison's Batman?

    Please try to keep major spoilers to a minimum. I do not know who the Black Glove is yet, but I will soon enough.
    1. Batman & Robin Must Die
    2. Clown at Midnight, Return of Bruce Wayne, RIP
    3. Good, but very overrated. Lots of flaws that people don't seem to see. Keep expectations low just in case you don't want to be disappointed.

  5. #365
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Any "flaws" are outweighed easily by the strengths of this run. The reason this run is praised a lot is because usually superhero comics never get this kind of creative freedom. The last time it was done was in Morrison's New X-Men and Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix.

    But now the Batman books are back to dull, predictable street stories.

  6. #366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Any "flaws" are outweighed easily by the strengths of this run. The reason this run is praised a lot is because usually superhero comics never get this kind of creative freedom. The last time it was done was in Morrison's New X-Men and Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix.

    But now the Batman books are back to dull, predictable street stories.
    If you say so. We'll have to agree to disagree on this since I don't think the problems I have with this story outweighed by the "strengths" of this comic. We'll probably never see eye to eye on this.

    And for the creative freedom thing, it doesn't really mean much to me since I haven't reading comics as long as others have.

  7. #367
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    It will mean much soon!

    Or not, given how most people here seem content reading the same stories over and over.

  8. #368
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    Any "flaws" are outweighed easily by the strengths of this run. The reason this run is praised a lot is because usually superhero comics never get this kind of creative freedom. The last time it was done was in Morrison's New X-Men and Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix.

    But now the Batman books are back to dull, predictable street stories.
    I'm with you.

  9. #369
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecopper12 View Post
    What issues can I look forward to?
    RIP, Clown at Midnight, The Circus of the Strange, the writing of Must Die, Mr Unknown, the last appearance of Steph Girl, all Damian as Batman stories and the current volume of Inc minus the zero issue and the original Batwoman.

    What issues can will I most likely not enjoy?
    Most of the Return of Bruce Wayne was crap with the exception of the noir Black Glove issue, the art of Must Die is some of the worst I've seen from the Big Two, the internet two parter, and the zero issue of Inc (apparently Frazer Irving has never heard of this 3rd dimension). You should read all of these with the exception of the zero issue as they are essential.

    What is your overall opinion of Grant Morrison's Batman?
    A fantastic run that will eventually be held up with one of the character's best. While it has some really, really low points it's highs are just fantastic. A much better effort that his Action Comics run.
    Last edited by Aquacatlungfish; 12-30-2012 at 06:36 PM.

  10. #370
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aquacatlungfish View Post
    Most of the Return of Bruce Wayne was crap with the exception of the noir Black Glove issue, the art of Must Die is some of the worst I've seen from the Big Two, the internet two parter, and the zero issue of Inc (apparently Frazer Irving has never heard of this 3rd dimension). You should read all of these with the exception of the zero issue as they are essential.
    Frazer Irving's art isn't to everyone's taste, but IMO he's fantastic and talented. So I would judge that on your own account when reading his run.

    Ditto Return of Bruce Wayne. I didn't like it at first, but re-reading the whole run it works well for what it was meant to be, even if not what I wanted it to be.

  11. #371

    Default

    Frazer Irving was crushing it on Batman and Robin Must Die! I wish he did R.I.P., instead of stiff Daniels.
    His art is greatly nuanced and neon disturbing.

  12. #372
    Grayson fanboy. TheGoshDarnBatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Other than David Aja and Michael Allred Irving is my favorite artist in comics. His stuff is just incredible, it's the reason I love Must Die as much as I do.

    High points: JHW3 on Island of Doctor Mayhew, some bits in RIP that just knock my socks off, Batman Reborn, Must Die, and so far Inc. vol 2.
    Low points: None that are actually that low, but I have to comparatively drag myself through the second volume of B&R, which is amazing, compared to the first and third, which are perfect comics.
    Verdict: Best Batman run ever.
    Call me A.J.
    Hawkeye, Batman Inc., Batman, Daredevil, The Amazing Spider-Man, All New X-Men, Avengers, New Avengers, Fantastic Four, FF, Thor: God of Thunder, Detective Comics.

  13. #373
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    217

    Default Morrison's Long Batman story

    Is there a link somewhere that will list out ALL of the Batman material written by Grant??

    I have been in and out of collecting for a while but am interested in falling back to the beginning and reading his Batman work in order start to finish. I think that most of Grant's material is best read that way.

    ANyway, was just looking for the information.

    Thanks for any and all assistance.

  14. #374
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    221B Baker Street
    Posts
    18,005

    Default

    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...1#post15940675

    That's his main run. Before that, he wrote Arkham Asylum the graphic novel and Gothic for the old Legends of the Dark Knight series.

  15. #375
    BATMAN NEWBIE stick0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Shadow Moses
    Posts
    17

    Question R.I.P related

    In order to read R.I.P what other related R.I.P do i need to read in order? Batman: Batman and Son, Batman: Black Glove, Batman: R.I.P, Batman: Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?, Final Crisis, Batman: Long Shadows??

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •