Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Default Are the Perez Issues of Superman Any Good?

So I've made it no secret that I HATED Lobdell's stuff so I need some actual good Superman comics that aren't Action. So are the Perez issues worth it.

Cavilling Metropolitan Self-DCeit's Avatar

They weren't all that well received for being too wordy and a bit of a narrative throwback. Personally, I liked them as a straightforward Superman story, so make of it what you will.

In one word: No.

I couldn't stand the old-fashioned story telling Perez adopted, he went way too far explaining EVERYTHING. The art is pretty decent and the story idea isn't that bad but it's terribly written and the dialogue will make you cry. I'd avoid and look into getting some good Superman trades instead.

I usually never drop a Superman title, but after issue #1, my brain hurt so bad that it was a chore to read. All of that for a 1990's rendition of story-telling and not-so inspiring villains. I'll give his run a punchers chance in trade one day when I decide, but in my opinion, it wasn't the kick-start to the nu52 Superman I had hoped to love.

Quote Originally Posted by Self-DCeit View Post
    They weren't all that well received for being too wordy and a bit of a narrative throwback. Personally, I liked them as a straightforward Superman story, so make of it what you will.
    I liked them better than anything else Superman has been in so far in the New 52, but my tastes don't seem to be the in-thing these days.
    (Also, the sixth issue got to the point where Pérez supposedly got so sick of editorial last-minute interference that he told the editorial side to make any further changes themselves because he was tired of it all.)
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Modern readers hated it because reading is apparently hard. I thought they were okay.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Operative word being 'okay'. Like Tra-El said, it definitely wasn't the kickstart people were expecting for the Superman title after the reboot, but it's most certainly okay.

I thought it started out quite good, I had no problem with the large amount of exposition. As the issues went on though, the formula of Superman-fights-monster-in-city-while-reporters-narrate just became way overused. The art is top notch all the way through though. Jesus Merino and Nicola Scott did awesome work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I thought it started out quite good, I had no problem with the large amount of exposition. As the issues went on though, the formula of Superman-fights-monster-in-city-while-reporters-narrate just became way overused. The art is top notch all the way through though. Jesus Merino and Nicola Scott did awesome work.
    Agreed 100%. I say pre-order the trade online cheap and form your own conclusion.

I like the artwork and the story had an arc to it, but it unspectacular by comparison to the radically different Action Comics. I liked the artwork quite a bit, but it felt cautious.

Virginia, United States Of 'Merica, bitches!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    I like the artwork and the story had an arc to it, but it unspectacular by comparison to the radically different Action Comics. I liked the artwork quite a bit, but it felt cautious.
    And I think that was mostly because Perez didn't know what was or wasn't canon anymore beyond him being single and wearing a new suit. Apparently he wrote the first two issues without knowing whether or not both Kent's were dead, whether or not he still had a fortress of solitude, etc. Editorial wasn't telling him anything (possibly because they didn't even know either with Morrison being less than co-operative.)

As far as things go, it wasn't half bad. Maybe a bit too wordy, but it was actually a breath of fresh air when I bought most of the #1's that first month and most of them i could breeze through in five minutes. Unacceptable when you are paying $3-$4 an issue. At least there was some meat to Perez's issues that felt like I wasn't wasting my money on just a picture book.

To be honest I was more disappointed with the Jurgens issues myself. Perez actually felt like it was TRYING something somewhat new. Jurgens run, while also not bad, felt like an early 90's inventory story with a few redrawn and recolored panels. Now I love me some early 90's Superman, but not in 2012, especially in a new continuity.

Lobdell's run is not perfect, but it's actually doing something new and is bristling with energy, with kick ass art.

I still say though both of the previous volumes are ok if you like just straight forward, classic feel Superman stories, which may not be to every taste. Plus the art is good through out.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 02-12-2013 at 03:59 PM.

Salacious Propriety Tandaemonium's Avatar

Nnnnnnnnnnope

I really enjoyed it. I've never known Perez to let me down though. Even when he phones it in I'm usually entertained.

The story was fun, with an unexpected ending. There were some genious Lois moments (arguably the best she's seen since the re-launch).

I say give it a go and see. :D
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.

I'm not going to say it's bad because it's too wordy, because honestly Batman by Scott Snyder is very wordy, but it is by no means bad. I would say it's just too wordy because it really amounts to nothing with all of the exposition.
    DC/Marvel reader. Mostly Superman,Batman,X-Men,Avengers fan...guess I am a fan of most comics.

I wouldn't necessarily say the exposition amounts to nothing. It just erred on the side of overly cautious in the handholding department, a bit of an old-school sensibility that doesn't hold the reader's attention to detail in high regard.