Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Studios are generally shy of any controversy, especially of this kind, when it comes to their properties so I wonder if WB will step in? And it does have some people wondering exactly what is going on at DC Comics considering they are trying to appeal to the gay community on one hand with some of their characters, and then go ahead and do something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zryson View Post
    Studios are generally shy of any controversy, especially of this kind, when it comes to their properties so I wonder if WB will step in? And it does have some people wondering exactly what is going on at DC Comics considering they are trying to appeal to the gay community on one hand with some of their characters, and then go ahead and do something like this.
    I am surprised to a degree, but a controversy is free publicity, I guess. Did Marvel catch flak over hiring him to write Iron Man? Of course, Iron Man stands for a completely different set of things than Superman, and what Superman stands for is the exact opposite of what Card is about.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Its true, partly about controversy being free publicity but then large corporations, tend to be a little choosy sometimes about what nature that publicity is. WB I imagine will be watching all of this closely as it gathers pace online with more websites picking up the story.

Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how being a CURRENT board member of an organization that wants to stop same sex marriage or adoptions doesn't make one a homophobe. I mean, being a member of a church is one thing. While churches can be influential they are not a political body. But NOM is a POLITICAL organization. We aren't simply talking about someone's personal beliefs or opinions. Being a board member of such an organization means that he is trying to make his opinions into law. That means that his opinions can create a measurable negative effect on peoples lives. That is why people care so much.

There are plenty of writers who have said controversial things. Plenty of writers that we can call sexist, racist, or homophobic, but not all of those writers are politically active. It is because those writers are not politically active that it is easier to separate their writing from their personal opinions. Card, however, is not just chilling at home with his opinions, he is not just attending church with his beliefs, he is trying to force others to live by his opinions and beliefs. And yes I use the word force, because if NOM has its way same sex marriage would be illegal, the same way that interracial marriage was once illegal.

If a person doesn't care about all of that in regards to his work that is their prerogative. I would not say that it is an inherently positive or negative thing to care or not. But considering Cards actions I can see why folks are making a fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    It's not so much that Card has unpopular opinions, but that he has a measure of political power that if unchecked and given enough resources can turn his opinions into facts.
    Talk about hypocrisy here. A lot of posts in this thread have pissed me off, and this one takes the cake. I'm going to be quite frank and open here.

I am willing to bet if that you, hypothetically, polled all of New York, and other states that have allowed gay marriage, the majority of the population would still be against it. And let's not even mention the rest of the country.

And yet, gay marriage and acceptance of homosexual behavior HAS BEEN SHOVED DOWN our throats. This is not about being a right wing reactionary, it's about what you just mentioned - political power being used to turn opinions into facts. 10 years ago, no one would have tolerated this, and yet, now the gay marriage thing is everyone you look. Gays are like what, 2% of the population, maybe a little more, maybe a little less, and yet, their way and their lifestyle has become more or less an accepted fact of life, when many people are still not comfortable with it. There is an agenda at work, and I'm not the only one who thinks that way. Now its in movies, comics, everywhere you look, and it all happened a little too fast.

Legitimate grievances and concerns are all silenced, and people are just branded left and right as "hate-mongers", when nothing could be further from the truth.

I think homosexuality is wrong. PERIOD. Gay is not the new black, it never has been and it never will be. This is not about rights, this is about right and wrong. That may sound old fashioned to many of you, but its because we are losing those old fashioned values that our country is going down the tubes. The gay marriage issue is a symptom of a much larger problem, a problem that permeates gender relations, race relations, our politics, religion/state - I call it the "virus" of political correctness.

Now, none of this means that I hate gays. I had gay co-workers who knew my opinion on the subject, and we got along fine. I honestly don't care what people do behind closed doors, but that does not mean I have to accept a certain lifestyle as legitimate. I don't need religion to justify my opposition to this; using human history as my guide is ample proof enough.

I have a right to my opinion, and you can feel free to call me an asshole, a bigot, far rightist (even though I don't even vote Republican!), or whatever have you. But it pisses me off that now, on a regular basis, I have to put up with name calling from hypocritical liberals and gay rights defenders for expressing a very common and legitimate opinion. People can't say anything anymore without some damn lobby coming after them or someone screaming the word bigot. I am sick of it. I am sick and tired of the narcissistic, insecure group of brats that my generation (the "millenials") has become, and quite frankly, this PC bubble that we're enclosing ourselves in is eventually going to burst, and when that happens, IT WON'T BE PRETTY.

As I said before, Card has a right to his opinion, and people just need to shut the hell up. You don't like the man? Don't buy his work! It's simple as that, but don't stoop low to the point where you try to create petitions and all this other trash to get the man removed from his assignment. THAT is the tactic used by certain groups in this country that is really driving me up a wall, and THAT is intolerance.

I think all views and opinions, regardless of content, should be allowed. We live in a free society and at least once in your life, you're going to get offended. DEAL WITH IT.
    Last edited by Eradicator; 02-11-2013 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eradicator View Post
    Talk about hypocrisy here. A lot of posts in this thread have pissed me off, and this one takes the cake. I'm going to be quite frank and open here.

I am willing to bet if that you, hypothetically, polled all of New York, and other states that have allowed gay marriage, the majority of the population would still be against it. And let's not even mention the rest of the country.

And yet, gay marriage and acceptance of homosexual behavior HAS BEEN SHOVED DOWN our throats. This is not about being a right wing reactionary, it's about what you just mentioned - political power being used to turn opinions into facts. 10 years ago, no one would have tolerated this, and yet, now the gay marriage thing is everyone you look. Gays are like what, 2% of the population, maybe a little more, maybe a little less, and yet, their way and their lifestyle has become more or less an accepted fact of life, when many people are still not comfortable with it. There is an agenda at work, and I'm not the only one who thinks that way. Now its in movies, comics, everywhere you look, and it all happened a little too fast.

I think homosexuality is wrong. PERIOD. Gay is not the new black, it never has been and it never will be. This is not about rights, this is about right and wrong. That may sound old fashioned to many of you, but its because we are losing those old fashioned values that our country is going down the tubes. The gay marriage issue is a symptom of a much larger problem, a problem that permeates gender relations, race relations, our politics, religion/state - I call it the "virus" of political correctness.

Now, none of this means that I hate gays. I had gay co-workers who knew my opinion on the subject, and we got along fine. I honestly don't care what people do behind closed doors, but that does not mean I have to accept a certain lifestyle as legitimate. I don't need religion to justify my opposition to this; using human history as my guide is ample proof enough.

I have a right to my opinion, and you can feel free to call me an asshole, a bigot, far rightist (even though I don't even vote Republican!), or whatever have you. But it pisses me off that now, on a regular basis, I have to put up with name calling from hypocritical liberals and gay rights defenders for expressing a very common and legitimate opinion. People can't say anything anymore without some damn lobby coming after them or someone screaming the word bigot. I am sick of it. I am sick and tired of the narcissistic, insecure group of brats that my generation (the "millenials") has become, and quite frankly, this PC bubble that we're enclosing ourselves in is eventually going to burst, and when that happens, IT WON'T BE PRETTY.

As I said before, Card has a right to his opinion, and people just need to shut the hell up. You don't like the man? Don't buy his work! It's simple as that, but don't stoop low to the point where you tried to create petitions and all this other trash to get the man removed from his assignment. THAT is the tactic used by certain groups in this country that is really driving me up a wall, and THAT is intolerance.

I think all views and opinions, regardless of content, should be allowed. We live in a free society and at least once in your life, you're going to get offended. DEAL WITH IT.
    Well said.

Are people seriously signing a petition to deny a man a job because of his political (or whatever you want to call it) views? Isn't that the definition of discrimination?

You see experts telling people be careful what you do in a public sense, as it can and does have ramifications later on if a company that employs you is affected by it. Now whether DC is affected by it in a negative sense, as the online momentum gathers pace remains to be seen.

Now whether DC is affected by it in a negative sense, as the online momentum gathers pace remains to be seen.
    But that is exactly the problem! Why are people so insecure that they have to overreact to this degree and create some kind of campaign? WHY?

Well to answer your question Eradicator you already answered it yourself in one of your posts above where you said (quote) "I have a right to my opinion." You do. And so do those who do feel strongly about him being appointed to the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Self-DCeit View Post
    Talk about an ad hominem attack. The man's personal beliefs have no bearing on the quality of his stories, nor has he admitted to wanting to fund "anti gay organizations" (whatever that's supposed to mean), as far as I know.
    Read some of his ridiculous crap like "Empire" and tell me that again. His beliefs have played a fairly large part in his recent work.
    Life looks better in black and white.

It's Lexrules... GET HIM. Lexrules's Avatar

Everyone has there own opinion. Whether it be right or wrong. I personally don't agree with it as we are all the same but I will not crucify someone for what they believe.

We all have our own mind and our own way of thinking.

"I have a right to my opinion." You do. And so do those who do feel strongly about him being appointed to the post.
    I think people should be allowed to express their opinions without mobs of people trying to mess with their livelihood.

patience gone in 3, 2... GokaiRed's Avatar

But that is exactly the problem! Why are people so insecure that they have to overreact to this degree and create some kind of campaign? WHY?
    It's troubling that you can't understand why it would be a problem for people who aren't treated equally under the law that someone who seeks to treat them even worse receives greater financial support and attention. I would think that the reasons for this were fairly clear.

Believe whatever you want about gay people. You're free to do so, and I support your right to speak about it in whatever forum you wish. I do not support when you actively take your opinion into a political arena and try to mistreat others based on those beliefs.

Unfortunately, I think you're suffering a severe fear of change, as attitudes about homosexuality and its virtual harmlessness to society at large have begun to change. You deny this by telling yourself that everyone who disagreed with homosexuality thirty years ago must still all feel this way, but it's a few villainous entities trying to trick the rest of the world into thinking something is okay. That is obviously not the case.

What you're seeing is an acknowledgment that bigotry is not okay. A system that denies rights to some people while granting it to others is wrong, and as more people across the country (and world) come to update their standards and realize this basic truth, you see more visibility in media. That's not due to some grand, evil conspiracy. It's because the world is growing up. It's people who still cling to the old ways and lash out violently when asked to share their privileges that need to catch up to everyone else.

patience gone in 3, 2... GokaiRed's Avatar

I think people should be allowed to express their opinions without mobs of people trying to mess with their livelihood.
    His "livelihood" is specifically targeting the personal lives of a minority group. As has been said countless times in this thread already, if it were only his opinion, then there would be little issue. It's the fact that he runs an organization whose primary purpose is to remove the rights of American citizens. In other words, he's messing with people's livelihood.

By this logic, he should change that, correct?

Legitimate grievances and concerns are all silenced, and people are just branded left and right as "hate-mongers", when nothing could be further from the truth.

As I said before, Card has a right to his opinion, and people just need to shut the hell up. You don't like the man? Don't buy his work! It's simple as that, but don't stoop low to the point where you try to create petitions and all this other trash to get the man removed from his assignment. THAT is the tactic used by certain groups in this country that is really driving me up a wall, and THAT is intolerance.

One of the worsts posts I've ever seen on this forum, seriously.
    From the bullshit that "most" of the country is against gay marriage (not true according to polls as it seems to be split 50/50.) To the of course usual assumption about "gay lifestyle and behaviour" because gays operate as a hive mind, whereas your not even a republican! How dare we make these assumptions about you.
    Then of course the usaul crying about how people are just so mean to you for calling you a bigot and were all just so self entitled. Gosh I wonder if another, small isolated group has ever felt that way about something? Say unfaily maligned and persecuted by people?
    The inevitable doomsaying about how there lifestyle will destroy everything. Seems to have no notiecable effect on my home country of Canada but I can already guess the response, it just wont hasn't happenend yet amirite?