View Poll Results: Who do you think it will be?

Voters
169. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Brand new original character

16 9.47%
  • Charlie Bullock

17 10.06%
  • Dick Grayson

65 38.46%
  • Terry McGuinness

6 3.55%
  • Dr Thomas Wayne Snr

11 6.51%
  • Jean Paul Valley

16 9.47%
  • Lincoln March / Thomas Wayne Jnr

4 2.37%
  • Other

34 20.12%
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Who Will Be The New Earth 2 Batman?!

Who will be behind the cowl in Earth 2 Annual #1?

EARTH 2 ANNUAL #1
    Written by JAMES ROBINSON
    Art by YILDIRAY CINAR, CAFU and JULIUS GOPEZ
    Cover by ANDY KUBERT
    On sale MAY 29 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T
    The new Batman of Earth 2 debuts as The Atom begins a mission to lead a new team of heroes—but are any of them prepared for the threat they're about to face?

I'd like to see an E2 Dick Grayson pick up the mantle with E2 Barb Gordon as his Nightwing but highly doubt that will happen. Hell I wouldn't mind seeing an E2 Terry McGinnis. Does anyone have any theories?
    Last edited by Ood Omega; 02-10-2013 at 07:01 PM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Likely it would be Earth-2 Grayson but maybe if they are getting rid of Damian, Earth-2 version of him could be Batman.

I guess....

I'm very surprised at this hasn't been made a thread yet... so excited for this annual!

Anyway... I have a few theories.

First is that this is the old Earth 2 Batman-inspired character Blackwing, aka Charlie Bullock, but they've upgraded him to Batman status. This would be interesting in at he was basically Huntress's Robin, of a sort, and I REALLY doubt that Helena would take a new Batman on her world kindly when she finds out. This theory could be nixed because Charlie Bullock is a gender neutral name and Robinson (admirably) has shown that he'll use that to make the character female... kinda puts a pin in BatMAN.

Second, that this is one of the Prime Earth Robin's duplicates and they're just very different. If anything, this is supported by the rumors and general feeling that Damian Wayne is about to die. If he dies there, we could have him on Earth 2. Not to mention that the design, as far as I can tell, looks like a cross between Batman 666 and Batwoman. Maybe he'll be Damian Kane?

EDIT: Beaten to the punch on that one...
    DOUBLE EDIT: Two scallops on his gauntlet? Just like Damian Robin and Grayson Batman...
    TRIPLE EDIT: Kubert drew that cover, too...

Third, someone new. I mean, SO MUCH will be new anyway. There's no Gotham! Where does this Batman call home? Is he even American? All unknowns.

I honestly don't care what the answer is, I just want to see it for myself. It's so exciting!
    Last edited by hunter_peterson; 02-09-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    There's no Gotham! Where does this Batman call home? Is he even American? All unknowns.
    No no, it was Metropolis that was blasted into ruin. Alan Scott, The Green Lantern's corporate headquarters and home of GBC (the Gotham Broadcasting Corporation) is in Gotham City. I guess with no Batman or the scare of Darkseid has that Gotham has next to none of the traditional bat-rogues in the city. I guess Batman really IS the cause of much of the suffering in Gotham on Earth Prime, as the killer nuts all flock to him.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Stephanie Brown

Rulk needs his moustache! ResIpsaLoquitur's Avatar

Logic would dictate that this is Dick Grayson. Robinson hasn't introduced any "new" major characters, he's just revised and re-spun the old ones from the original Earth-2. Since Dick was a staple character on that Earth and continued to operate until the 1980s (and in the post-Infinite Crisis universe, the re-created Earth-2), Dick makes sense. I also think it makes more sense for him to operate as "Batman" than an adult "Robin" in that silly Batman/Robin hybrid costume he wore in the 70s. With the original Batman dead and Gotham (if it still exists) unprotected, it makes sense that Dick would continue the role.

Plus, it would give Huntress a love interest (the same one she had on old Earth-2) when she inevitably comes back.
    "Well, last night's episode was a very special episode. They revealed that the Incredible Hulk has an evil twin. And he's not green. He's red."

... with the High Command Lemurion's Avatar

I don't know who it will be, but I don't see it being Damian.

I am sure that it will either be a new character or one that can be traced back to pre-Crisis Earth Two. Charlie Bullock and Dick Grayson are the best guesses I can think of right now... but I don't think either has a lock.
    Anyone who thinks DC is bringing back the Silver Age doesn't know what the Silver Age is.

There is no such word as "persay," it's per se, two words, from the Latin.

I hope it is Earth 2's Dick Grayson. He is an established Earth 2 character and there hasn't been any mention of him as of yet. So him seeing that Gotham needs a Batman (a recurring theme in nearly universe) and deciding to take up the identity would fit. Plus I did enjoy how Robinson wrote him as Batman in his JLA book before the reboot. So I'd would like to see him write him again this time without all the interruptions from crossovers and events.

But given Grayson's treatment in the reboot I have very little confidence in it being him though.

Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
    Logic would dictate that this is Dick Grayson. Robinson hasn't introduced any "new" major characters, he's just revised and re-spun the old ones from the original Earth-2. Since Dick was a staple character on that Earth and continued to operate until the 1980s (and in the post-Infinite Crisis universe, the re-created Earth-2), Dick makes sense. I also think it makes more sense for him to operate as "Batman" than an adult "Robin" in that silly Batman/Robin hybrid costume he wore in the 70s. With the original Batman dead and Gotham (if it still exists) unprotected, it makes sense that Dick would continue the role.

Plus, it would give Huntress a love interest (the same one she had on old Earth-2) when she inevitably comes back.
    I suspect Grayson for a couple reasons as well - for starters because he'd be a fairly dramatically "different" version of Dick Grayson, and we haven't seen a lot of those.

But one big thing is that before his Earth 2 gig, Robinson was writing Justice League of America and wanted to keep writing "Dick Grayson, Batman" on that team, and into the future of his team book. This gives him the ability to revive that concept he was enjoying so much.

Plus, we'd finally have "Dick back as Batman", and I'll take that however I can get it, Earth 2, whatever.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

The Alpha and The Omega Godlike13's Avatar

This Batman does have the 2 arm spikes, but that being said Earth 2 Bruce was using Escrima sticks. So...

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Dick Grayson or I'm going home.

No no, it was Metropolis that was blasted into ruin.
    Is Metropolis really gone? What a depressing world.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-09-2013 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Is Metropolis really gone? What a depressing world.
    From Earth 2 #0...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Earth Two 0 page 15.jpg 
Views:	695 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	108392
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    No no, it was Metropolis that was blasted into ruin. Alan Scott, The Green Lantern's corporate headquarters and home of GBC (the Gotham Broadcasting Corporation) is in Gotham City. I guess with no Batman or the scare of Darkseid has that Gotham has next to none of the traditional bat-rogues in the city. I guess Batman really IS the cause of much of the suffering in Gotham on Earth Prime, as the killer nuts all flock to him.
    Robinson said that both Metropolis and Gotham were destroyed in the war, specifically when Terry Sloane detonated them and created Apokoliptan fire pits. So... no Gotham. Apparently there aren't any fictitious cities for the heroes to be based in.

EDIT: That was in the Comicvine podcasts, I believe. He's repeated the point in interviews.

It also occurred to me they could use Jean-Paul Valley if they wanted, as his background would mesh really nicely with the more mystical nature of Earth 2. Ancient cultists and all that.
    Last edited by hunter_peterson; 02-10-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

I think Dick Grayson is the most obvious choice. The only problem with that though is that Robinson claimed there was some kind of rule that characters couldn't overlap between the two earths (apart from the NAMES of Flash, GL, Atom etc.) But it seems we now have a Hawkgirl on both earths apparently so maybe there's been a change of plan.

I'm actually quiet intrigued by the E2 Batman's backstory and mythology; because among the Trinity, his seems to be the one that is most different from the classic version. With Superman and Wonder Woman we assume the classic origins and trappings more or less stand, albeit with new costumes (and Fury not being Steve Trevor's daughter apparently). But with Batman, things might be very different. Because apparently, Bruce and Selina trained Helena from childhood to be Robin, and Bruce has been Batman at least since Helena was a kid. Also its unknown if this Selina was ever a criminal (though she apparently was a street kid). Does this Batman have the same origins/motivations as the classic version? Or is his story completely different? And where would Dick Grayson fit into this scenario, given that its all but confirmed that Helena was the first and only Robin?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    Robinson said that both Metropolis and Gotham were destroyed in the war, specifically when Terry Sloane detonated them and created Apokoliptan fire pits. So... no Gotham. Apparently there aren't any fictitious cities for the heroes to be based in.

EDIT: That was in the Comicvine podcasts, I believe. He's repeated the point in interviews.

It also occurred to me they could use Jean-Paul Valley if they wanted, as his background would mesh really nicely with the more mystical nature of Earth 2. Ancient cultists and all that.
    Jean-Paul hmmmmm could be, could be.