Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 76
  1. #46
    N7 Reject MadDokta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pandora
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Do Asgardian gods count as non-US?

    But yeah, as a Brit I totally agree. I think Captain Britain would be REALLY hard to do right without some serious tweaking to his origin, but characters like Black Knight and especially Union Jack would work better. Hell, Union Jack could show up on the SHIELD TV series as an agent of MI:13 from Britain, as a guest or supporting character.

    But I love Taskmaster and would rather see him on the big screen, hopefully with a costume more like his UDON one. I like his classic-current costume, but its really silly and the UDON one is just badass cool!

  2. #47
    File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    12,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadDokta View Post
    But yeah, as a Brit I totally agree. I think Captain Britain would be REALLY hard to do right without some serious tweaking to his origin

    I'm not quite so sure. I mean, at its roots we're talking about a guy who dies but is given the opportunity to return to life as the champion of the 'old gods'. The way that is actually told (Which reads like a 50s/60s pulp strip, despite being printed in 1976) definitely needs to change, but the concept, and how his powers levels are interwoven with the collective consciousness of the Country he represents, is something I actually think would be ideal for a movie.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

    A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

    Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

  3. #48
    N7 Reject MadDokta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pandora
    Posts
    176

    Default

    I don't know. Being powered by your own confidence in yourself (I don't read any Captain Britain stuff, with the only stuff I've read with him in it being Secret Avengers, so don't skewer me alive!) seems like something that works for comics, but would be laughable on the big screen unless there was some amazing writing and acting involved...

  4. #49
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    I have never read the original Thunderbolts so I can't say they do/don't deserve a shot at a movie but the Prison Bolts would make me happy. Obviously you'd need so kinda SHIELD liaison for the viewers to root for? Songbird makes alot of sense.
    Songbird is a villain turn hero. That's the biggest key to making her character.

  5. #50
    Senior Member Shinglepants's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Sword Is Drawn View Post
    This.

    In fact at present I'd like a bit more focus on ANY non-US characters, full stop. And not just as bad guys. The Red Skull desn't count purely by virtue of being German. :)
    For sure. I think the great thing about SHIELD, be it a show or movie, is how it could be a globetrotting spy adventure. Kinda like Bond I guess. I want to see SHIELD going after Viper in Madripoor personally but it could so easily be Wakanda or something.

    Quote Originally Posted by MadDokta View Post
    Do Asgardian gods count as non-US?

    But yeah, as a Brit I totally agree. I think Captain Britain would be REALLY hard to do right without some serious tweaking to his origin, but characters like Black Knight and especially Union Jack would work better. Hell, Union Jack could show up on the SHIELD TV series as an agent of MI:13 from Britain, as a guest or supporting character.

    But I love Taskmaster and would rather see him on the big screen, hopefully with a costume more like his UDON one. I like his classic-current costume, but its really silly and the UDON one is just badass cool!
    I would love a Captain Britain movie! I have been reading comics for like 10 years and never read origin stories or first appearences so tinkering with origins does not bother me. Blasphemous I know! I would love to see Daniel Craig as Cap B.
    Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, Avengers, Mighty Avengers, All-New X-Men

  6. #51
    Senior Member Shinglepants's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Songbird is a villain turn hero. That's the biggest key to making her character.
    I'd be all for that, I didn't mean to say introduce her as a good guy. Have her be a villain in a movie before hand. I can see Marvel maybe wanting to give the whole Grapplers thing a miss but she could easily be a solo villain for Iron Man or Cap.
    Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, Avengers, Mighty Avengers, All-New X-Men

  7. #52
    File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    12,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadDokta View Post
    I don't know. Being powered by your own confidence in yourself (I don't read any Captain Britain stuff, with the only stuff I've read with him in it being Secret Avengers, so don't skewer me alive!) seems like something that works for comics, but would be laughable on the big screen unless there was some amazing writing and acting involved...

    The actual definitin of 'Confidence' is a relatively new twist. But there always existed a synergy between Captain Britain and the people of Britiain - the collective cinsciousness of the whole Nation. When Captain Britain gets beat up they feel it. When a Captain actually dies (As was most recemtly shown in Secret Invasion) ever last person in Britain feels a sense of loss that they can't quite explain, deep down.

    But even using that concept of confidence there's room to play. I mean what would happen if public confidence in The Captain were shook? Would he effectively lose his powers? Say a paper mounted a vendetta? A plotician span a slant on the outcome of a fight? What might happen?

    At the time he's needed the most he might not be able to help.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

    A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

    Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

  8. #53
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Imnottelling!
    Posts
    24,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    I'd be all for that, I didn't mean to say introduce her as a good guy. Have her be a villain in a movie before hand. I can see Marvel maybe wanting to give the whole Grapplers thing a miss but she could easily be a solo villain for Iron Man or Cap.
    I think she should be introduced in the T-bolts movie.

    I know people love prison bolts, but the first arc of T-bolts is really good movie material.

  9. #54
    N7 Reject MadDokta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pandora
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Yeeeaaah, I dunno. It sounds great in a comic book, but I just can't help picturing all the people rolling their eyes when they see the people of Britain all feeling pain whenever Cap gets hit and uniting together to sing ''God Save the Queen" and re-power up Captain Britain. In a cartoon or animated movie I think it would work great, but I can't see it being taken seriously in live-action unless there was some phenomenal acting involved. But hey, I ain't complaining if a Captain Britain movie is made. I'll probably love it anyway. I'm easy to please

    Oh man, I really wish Marvel had the rights for Deadpool. A Deadpool and Taskmaster movie would be so awesome. Merc bros! Deadpool can be the mouthy comedian to the acidly sarcastic straight-man Taskmaster. That would be so much fun.


    And oh yeah, I don't know if Marvel has the rights to Viper since she's apparently in the new Wolverine movie. I have no idea how the actual rights work for that. I think Madame Hydra's still usable though *shrugs*.

    EDIT: I got nothing against the original Thunderbolts (I love the lineup actually. Well most of them. I'm afraid I haven't actually READ the original series, though I've heavily wiki'd it and love what I've read), but I think Prison-bolts may be more appealing and it would certainly make it a different movie to all the other Marvel movies. These aren't heroes or villains that secretly are heroes but turn out to actually like being heroes, these are villains that are forced to be heroes against even worse villains. I think there's great potential for that, and it means you could use so many of Marvel's supervillains that may never actually get to be the main baddie in a flick.
    Plus, if they go with something like I originally suggested: i.e., making Songbird the SHIELD-affiliated handler of the group with a mysterious past that most likely involved being a super-villain, people may be interested enough and want to know more about Songbird's past that she gets her own movie or something! (I'm seriously reaching here, but wouldn't that be great?)
    Last edited by MadDokta; 02-12-2013 at 07:16 AM.

  10. #55
    Senior Member Shinglepants's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    I think she should be introduced in the T-bolts movie.

    I know people love prison bolts, but the first arc of T-bolts is really good movie material.
    I'll have top check it out!

    Quote Originally Posted by MadDokta View Post
    Oh man, I really wish Marvel had the rights for Deadpool. A Deadpool and Taskmaster movie would be so awesome. Merc bros! Deadpool can be the mouthy comedian to the acidly sarcastic straight-man Taskmaster. That would be so much fun.
    That would be awesome! Whenever these guys get together it's so much fun!


    Quote Originally Posted by MadDokta View Post
    And oh yeah, I don't know if Marvel has the rights to Viper since she's apparently in the new Wolverine movie. I have no idea how the actual rights work for that. I think Madame Hydra's still usable though *shrugs*.
    But I thought Viper WAS Madame Hydra? I know there are multiple Vipers, not sure about Madame Hydra's?
    Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, Avengers, Mighty Avengers, All-New X-Men

  11. #56
    N7 Reject MadDokta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pandora
    Posts
    176

    Default

    I think there have been other Madame Hydras that aren't Viper. For example, in Secret Warriors, there was a new Madame Hydra (don't know if revealing her identity counts as a spoiler) that was working for Hydra alongside Viper.

  12. #57
    File Clerk of MI13 The Sword Is Drawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Warwickshire, UK
    Posts
    12,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadDokta View Post
    Yeeeaaah, I dunno. It sounds great in a comic book, but I just can't help picturing all the people rolling their eyes when they see the people of Britain all feeling pain whenever Cap gets hit and uniting together to sing ''God Save the Queen" and re-power up Captain Britain. In a cartoon or animated movie I think it would work great, but I can't see it being taken seriously in live-action unless there was some phenomenal acting involved. But hey, I ain't complaining if a Captain Britain movie is made. I'll probably love it anyway. I'm easy to please

    If it were made by the guys who brought you Independence Day, sure. :) But what you're describing is pure stereotype. It's caricature Britain. Such a movie would bomb. Modern Britain is pretty well shown in cinema these days, and I'd expect Marvel (As with the other movies of theirs which they've been directly involved in) to get the right people involved and on board.
    It Came From Darkmoor...

    A blog dedicated to the ongoing trials and tribulations
    of the British corner of the Marvel Universe.

    Twitter: @theswordisdrawn

  13. #58
    N7 Reject MadDokta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pandora
    Posts
    176

    Default

    I actually hate Independence Day (I have no idea why ANYONE likes it. It just seems like the usual MURRICA stuff to me), so yeah no thank you please! Hey, I'm probably being a bit of a cynic and pessimist. If done really well and the actor playing Brian makes you really feel it, it could actually be really good and tug at some heartstrings. I'd like any potential Captain Britain movie (or any Marvel movie based on British characters) to have some co-development or at least help by some of the British companies, such as BBC or whatnot. I actually find British television and acting better overall in comparison to the stuff from Hollywood, so I'd have a hell of a lot more faith if some of those people were involved in some capacity.

  14. #59
    Senior Member Shinglepants's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    1,673

    Default

    MadDokta and Sword, who would you guys like to play Brian? I would love Daniel Craig but I don't know if Im being a little unimaginative?
    Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, Avengers, Mighty Avengers, All-New X-Men

  15. #60
    N7 Reject MadDokta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pandora
    Posts
    176

    Default

    I have no idea. I'm not a very big Captain Britain fan (like I said, have only read him in X-force and Secret Avengers, and everyone seems to say that is like the worst portrayal of Brian ever). I think Daniel Craig would be good, as IMO I've always seen Cap Britain as a more mature character than your average Marvel characters, I.E. in his 40s or late 30s at the very least. I think Jude Law would probably make a pretty cool Union Jack though (I love Watson, Jude Law is great)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •