Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Now what if it's Pre-COIE, Earth-One (Silver/Bronze Age) Superman and New 52 Superman?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Silver/Bronze Age Supes would probably regard him in much the same way he regards Kal-L, since nu52 Supes takes cues from him. For all his rough edges, the current Supes is still not a killer, still thinks the best of people, and still fights for the right things. He'd find him an impressive guy with a terrible costume.

nu52 Supes would of course be in awe of Silver/Bronze Age Superman, as should everyone.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

Without reading much of the thread (sorry if it backtracks), but I think pre52 Supes and nu52 Supes would get along to a degree of understanding each other at such a high level of capacity stemming from willpower, thus, respect would be resonated through common attributes and capability.

I can see pre52 Supes guide and protect the symbol through words and wisdom, but always feel the need to big-brother nu52 Supes since he seems to have a much more opinionated vocabulary and acts like a much younger counterpart who deserves more attention to detail in getting around to things through brain, not so much impulse.

I can see it in a way nu52 Kal handles Superboy in recent stories but less preachy and disrespect towards one other. I think if something needed to be said, it would be nu52 Supes shutting the yap, taking down as much mental notes as possible rather than questioning pre52 Supe's actions or opinions to go about certain situations or happenings but still bringing a sense of attitude to his own heroics.
    Last edited by Tra-EL; 02-09-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote2010 View Post
    I think Busiek's Superman would have the same big brotherly, fatherly vibe to Nu 52 Superman as Nu Supes does to Superboy. Totally get along and compare notes about Lois or Wonder Woman and why. NU Supes would think about talking up Lois more. Old Supes would keep his mind right!

He'd fill in on the Jonathan Kent Nu Supes missed out on, and Nu Supes would talk about the Krypton he's evidently visited.
    I enjoyed your post, Coyote. Since I usually post first before examining a thread, it only took a few comments on the very first page to see somebody share the exact same views as I do concerning this debate. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessments practically word for word. +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    I enjoyed your post, Coyote. Since I usually post first before examining a thread, it only took a few comments on the very first page to see somebody share the exact same views as I do concerning this debate. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessments practically word for word. +1.

Hey Man Thanks! i post without reading the threads!

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    I think so too, I just believe that for the most part, they would get along.

IMO, Buseik's Superman was Post Crisis Sups at his peak and then it was downhill from there for the most part until the reboot.
    That's a great way to pass the torch between continuities.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    faze (v.): to cause to be disturbed or disconcerted; to stun

phase (n.):
    a stage in a process of change or development

Get it right, people.

I've long hoped they do a story along these lines...the 75th anniversary would be an ideal time but by the looks of it, its unlikely they'll actually do something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jllonchas View Post
    Some of the stories seemed to flow nicely from the era but then others were such a mix bag that it was pretty damn disappointing.
    Such as?

Also the fact that they kept tying in all the damn titles got to be a bit much with needing to buy Action, Adventures and regular Superman to know what in the world was going on.
    That's because the titles were selling so well, that the fans and DC staff wanted to take the book weekly. To make all of the titles important.

The arcs that went well seemed to be when one writer stayed on it for awhile and was able to tell a story.
    The turnaround on the Superman titles was a lot shorter then, than now. The shortest being a year and the longest being eight years. I think that's pretty good, all things considering.

But I'll reread some of my stuff from the past 25 years and it amazes me how many storylines were just dropped.
    Like?

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I've long hoped they do a story along these lines...the 75th anniversary would be an ideal time but by the looks of it, its unlikely they'll actually do something like this.
    That would indeed be awesome, actually...! Having all of the major versions of Superman meet each other, in a big story. Starting perhaps with the Golden Age Superman as the first to encounter some strange threat - and then featuring him as a sort-of main character, while there would be individual spotlights on some of the other versions of Superman.

I.e, I think it should go a bit like this:

GA - SA - Byrne - New52.

There are of course tons of variations, and some might say it would be cool to see animated Supes or Smallville in there as well, but IMHO, those 4 are the big 4 variations, the ones that have big, clear differences between each other, yet had tons of mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    Silver/Bronze Age Supes would probably regard him in much the same way he regards Kal-L, since nu52 Supes takes cues from him. For all his rough edges, the current Supes is still not a killer, still thinks the best of people, and still fights for the right things. He'd find him an impressive guy with a terrible costume.

nu52 Supes would of course be in awe of Silver/Bronze Age Superman, as should everyone.
    I cannot accept any canon that would ever have that mass of "everyone" include the original, one true Superman, of Earth-2 as being in "awe" of the Silver and Bronze Age Superman.

Not even for a second.

No, no way.

Post-Crises Superman would look at Nu52 Superman and go "Whats so special about this guy?"

While Nu52 Superman would be in awe at the presence PC Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    That would indeed be awesome, actually...! Having all of the major versions of Superman meet each other, in a big story. Starting perhaps with the Golden Age Superman as the first to encounter some strange threat - and then featuring him as a sort-of main character, while there would be individual spotlights on some of the other versions of Superman.

I.e, I think it should go a bit like this:

GA - SA - Byrne - New52.

There are of course tons of variations, and some might say it would be cool to see animated Supes or Smallville in there as well, but IMHO, those 4 are the big 4 variations, the ones that have big, clear differences between each other, yet had tons of mileage.

I cannot accept any canon that would ever have that mass of "everyone" include the original, one true Superman, of Earth-2 as being in "awe" of the Silver and Bronze Age Superman.

Not even for a second.

No, no way.
    Well, of course the original Superman would be the exception, the Silver/Bronze Age Superman would be in awe of him, if anything.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

I think so too, I just believe that for the most part, they would get along.

IMO, Buseik's Superman was Post Crisis Sups at his peak and then it was downhill from there for the most part until the reboot.
    That's excellent. Thanks for sharing.
    Superman:"I'm a newspaperman; I'll take a vacation when I die."

Finally caught up with this thread.

I don't see why the two wouldn't get along. I'm sure whatever personality quirks would eventually frustrate one another, but ultimately Superman in any incarnation knows a good guy when he sees one, and makes the right decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by the Sun God View Post
    They begin to tell each other their lives. Then, New52 Superman stops Post-Crisis Superman and says, "Wait a minute bro, you're telling me that you are almost 40 years-old and you still let your mother to decide how you have to dress up? And she demands you to wear the underwear on the outside? WTF? Your Krypton is a dystopian world? You refused Wonder Woman because you consider yourself just a country boy? I mean, you're telling me that you see Clark Kent as your true self? WTF man??! You didn't really need glasses!!!

After what he heard, Post-Crisis Superman has a midlife crisis and begins to walk across America in search of himself, and, thinking about how it could have been his life, he reboot himself erasing his own life and becomes the New52 Superman. And the circle is closed.
    Hahaha. I feel bad about knocking Post-Crisis Superman. There was a lot for me to like, and it was the version of Supes around when I really first got to learn about the character. On the other hand, I also understand why people were frustrated, and it was the period when Superman's legitimacy as a comic hero and fictional character got challenged the most. I guess you could say that among non-Superman friends, I defend this era, but among Superman fans, I tend to nod my head when the criticism rolls in.

Love this, but I, too, don't think this version of Supes would be a Metallica guy. Maybe the Frank Miller version would get along with the Napster-suing philosophies of Metallica, though...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Love this, but I, too, don't think this version of Supes would be a Metallica guy. Maybe the Frank Miller version would get along with the Napster-suing philosophies of Metallica, though...
    Nah it's actually from one of the Post-C comics that he liked Metallica.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Hahaha. I feel bad about knocking Post-Crisis Superman. There was a lot for me to like, and it was the version of Supes around when I really first got to learn about the character. On the other hand, I also understand why people were frustrated, and it was the period when Superman's legitimacy as a comic hero and fictional character got challenged the most. I guess you could say that among non-Superman friends, I defend this era, but among Superman fans, I tend to nod my head when the criticism rolls in.
    I appreciate aspects of all character's versions, so I don't hate the Post Crisis Superman. For me, the big drawback of that era is the authors attempt to erase the mythology that was built around the character in almost 50 years. In vain.

If, with the current reboot, Superman loses his previous continuity, with COIE he lost his own mythology.

Byrne comes and there are no more Fortress of Solitude, Phantom Zones, Super-Cousins and Brainiac is now a mentalist. After two years, they start to re-introduce a watered-down version of the old mythology: Supergirl is now a protoplasm/angel, Kandor is a city of non-Kryptonian aliens, Krypto is the terrestrial dog of Bibbo... and so on. From there all the stories become retcons and rewrites of Superman's origins in order to restore the character's original mythology; the classic Krypton, Kara as Supergirl, etc. etc.

So what was the point of the Post Crisis Superman? Delete the tradition and then bring it back?
    Last edited by the Sun God; 02-12-2013 at 04:44 PM.

U dont need my user title brettc1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Almost EXACTLY when he left, actually. That leaves about 25 years of an ineffective and crying Superman. There were some high-points here and there, but all in all, the character of Superman was very, very watered down. Essentially, they played up his nobility and caring to the point that it became detrimental to all of his other virtues.

Superman could hardly throw a punch any more...

I read all the Superman titles for ten years after Byrne left and can't say I agree with this.

Post Crisis Supes would have taken one look at Nu spying on Lois' phone and drawn a line in the sand.
    Irene Adler: “I would have you right here on this desk until you begged for mercy twice.”
    Sherlock: “I’ve never begged for mercy in my life.”
    Irene: “Twice.”