Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Because the classic costume is returning, I picked this book back up. I already own #1-6, and #0. So today I bought #7-9, and I'm adding this book to my pull list. I'm looking forward to when PG's classic costume returns. When the classic costume returns, Worlds' Finest will be one of my favorite comic books!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I think her large breasts work a little better when she is drawn with more reasonable proportions to match them. I mean she is supposed to be very tall and well built, like she was depicted in her solo series. Where she is as tall, if not taller, than Batman and Superman, but her height seems to fluctuate pretty wildly.
    I agree. To me she should really be quite heavily built muscle wise just like Superman and rather tall as well, then when she is drawn like this her proportions make it bit more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Eh, Supergirl's costume isn't much to write home about compared to some of her older incarnations, but Superboy's costume is light-years better than the dumb t-shirt and jeans, and Superman's new look has been a long time coming.
    Slightly off the primary topic, but I still kind of miss the Superboy costume with the leather jacket and shades. But then, comics-wise, the '90s are kind of a touchstone for me. It's when I got my start.
    Story By Story- Story Circle of the Capital Region.

My own Youtube account, stories and public library use tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Robo Ape View Post
    I agree. To me she should really be quite heavily built muscle wise just like Superman and rather tall as well, then when she is drawn like this her proportions make it bit more sense.
    Naw, I hated the Ross bodybuilder look. Her strength is a superpower, she doesn't need to look like that. I liked Connor's tall, big woman, who wasn't excessively muscular, just large and tall.
    Try my Blog!

And visit me on Facebook here!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AdamYJ View Post
    Slightly off the primary topic, but I still kind of miss the Superboy costume with the leather jacket and shades. But then, comics-wise, the '90s are kind of a touchstone for me. It's when I got my start.
    He's actually worn that in the Teen Titans lately. It stopped when this new crossover started.

Only pic I could find. He's holding the jacket in his right hand.

FF purist-snob

Quote Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
    Naw, I hated the Ross bodybuilder look. Her strength is a superpower, she doesn't need to look like that. I liked Connor's tall, big woman, who wasn't excessively muscular, just large and tall.
    I like PG with some bulk to her. There's a lot of difference between bodybuilding physiques and a thick, more buff body. Karen doesn't look like PG when she's drawn like the typical anorexic "super"-heroine.
    "Cant say it better than CaptCleghorn." - RolandJP

san francisco - the free range twink farm

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    PG's redesign was fine. Merely really generic and boring. IF that had been snazzier, people would get over it. Power Girl is the first to revert to her 'classic' or 'iconic' look. Will she be the first of many?
    Generic and boring don't sound like "fine" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I like PG with some bulk to her. There's a lot of difference between bodybuilding physiques and a thick, more buff body. Karen doesn't look like PG when she's drawn like the typical anorexic "super"-heroine.
    I'd say Connor drew her perfectly. She wasn't overtly muscular or particularly cut. She was just a big lady, tall, with a big frame, without being fat. I've seen quite a few women like that. Most don't quite have the chest dimensions Connor gave PG, but apart from that her build actually seemed possible. With Connor, and Basri and Hendry what's his name, she was far from anorexic, yet far from being a body builder. Not even a fitness queen type. Just big naturally.
    Try my Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by gwydion View Post
    I'd say Connor drew her perfectly. She wasn't overtly muscular or particularly cut. She was just a big lady, tall, with a big frame, without being fat. I've seen quite a few women like that. Most don't quite have the chest dimensions Connor gave PG, but apart from that her build actually seemed possible. With Connor, and Basri and Hendry what's his name, she was far from anorexic, yet far from being a body builder. Not even a fitness queen type. Just big naturally.
    Wasn't she also drawn as taller than Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by vampiric_cannibal View Post
    PG's redesign was fine. Merely really generic and boring. IF that had been snazzier, people would get over it. Power Girl is the first to revert to her 'classic' or 'iconic' look. Will she be the first of many?
    I am going to bet we start seeing more "classic" looks filtering back into the universe as more time goes by, especially on characters who changed enough to become almost (ALMOST) unrecognizable. You can always slap a logo on their chest and people can make the association, like with Superboy, but Red Robin, with his stupid wings, doesn't look like Red Robin or even Robin that anyone would put together without being told or reading the book and seeing his name given in dialogue. Same went with PG. If you just stuck a picture of her up and said "who's that" you wouldn't no unless you had been reading the book or active on comic news sites, in which case reading a story about Power Girl meant you were probably already "plugged in" to the character (snigger).
    Writers before artists.
    Artists before concepts.
    Concepts before characters.

Not a fan of the "bulked-up" Powergirl. I can see She-Hulk being drawn as a busty body builder type to convery the idea that she's a powerhouse, because her physiology was changed after receiving a blood transfusion from Bruce/Hulk, and drawing her "strong" gets that point across. As far as Kara goes, the only reason she has super strength (and her other powers) is because of the yellow sun. She doesn't have to have her strength visually represented by drawing her with bulging muscles.

If we Earthlings were to receive super strength from Krypton's red sun, Anna Nicole Smith would still look the same as she did here on Earth. She wouldn't suddenly be bulked-up. Neither would Kate Moss' figure be any different because of the red sun giving her super strenth. The figure they had here on Earth would be the same they'd have on Krypton.

Quote Originally Posted by Superior Big Time Dave View Post
    Not a fan of the "bulked-up" Powergirl. I can see She-Hulk being drawn as a busty body builder type to convery the idea that she's a powerhouse, because her physiology was changed after receiving a blood transfusion from Bruce/Hulk, and drawing her "strong" gets that point across. As far as Kara goes, the only reason she has super strength (and her other powers) is because of the yellow sun. She doesn't have to have her strength visually represented by drawing her with bulging muscles.

If we Earthlings were to receive super strength from Krypton's red sun, Anna Nicole Smith would still look the same as she did here on Earth. She wouldn't suddenly be bulked-up. Neither would Kate Moss' figure be any different because of the red sun giving her super strenth. The figure they had here on Earth would be the same they'd have on Krypton.
    By that logic Superman should be scrawny, instead of the muscle bound man he is always portrayed. In fact, since he does not have to work his muscles at all to do everyday activities, they should have entropyed so much that he looks like the living skeleton he was in Flashpoint. However, since comic books are a visual medium, we want our strong characters to look strong.

As for the boob windows, I really wish it had not returned. Sure, great artist like Amanda Connor can make it work, but most artists just use it as an excuse to draw giant boobs in an itty bitty body. When comics are already fighting the image of being only for horny 13 year olds and man children, having something called a "boob window" does not help.

Metal Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Super Robo Ape View Post
    Wasn't she also drawn as taller than Superman?
    I'd have to consult my trades. But I do recall her being taller than almost everyone else. Taller than Dick. Maybe even than Bruce, I don't know without consulting that trade. But it worked for me, whether it was Connor or Basri or that other guy whose last name I can't recall.
    Try my Blog!

Quote Originally Posted by MetalWoman View Post
    By that logic Superman should be scrawny, instead of the muscle bound man he is always portrayed. In fact, since he does not have to work his muscles at all to do everyday activities, they should have entropyed so much that he looks like the living skeleton he was in Flashpoint. However, since comic books are a visual medium, we want our strong characters to look strong.

As for the boob windows, I really wish it had not returned. Sure, great artist like Amanda Connor can make it work, but most artists just use it as an excuse to draw giant boobs in an itty bitty body. When comics are already fighting the image of being only for horny 13 year olds and man children, having something called a "boob window" does not help.

Metal Woman
    Well, I'd say it's just the prevailing standards of attractiveness. Big buff guys tend to be viewed as more ideal. The same isn't usually true of women, though I';; grant you some like them that way. So yeah, as a superpower, both men and women shouldn't need to be big and buff. But we've had it hinted from time to time that a waif like Supergirl is very nearly as strong as Superman, so it does seem to work like I said, with Kryptonian women somehow not needing the muscles Kryptonian men have to be roughly the same strength.

For the record, I'm in favour of covering the window, not for that reason, but simply because I think putting her own version of the "S" there, in blue, might work better than that horrid "P" that doesn't even look like a P.
    Try my Blog!

The boob window I'm neither here nor there on; but the Nu52 costume was kinda ugly.

DC missed their chance to just close the window, they could have just given her detailing like everyone else got an a simple white top. The white long sleeves and blue gloves are "classic" for her.