Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Hey, this is Superman's 75th year--where's the celebration?

I was reminded over at the Avengers board that this is the Avengers' 50th year, which reminded me that this is Superman's 75th year. I know we're getting the movie and all, but other than that, I haven't seen any acknowledgment from DC on Superman turning 75. Unless I missed it. I mean, DC made a big deal out of Superman turning 50, why not 75?

I believe they mentioned that in the hype for the new Scott Snyder & Jim Lee book, so they might bring it up again.

You're getting a new movie and a new comic book by DC's top selling writer AND artist, I mean what do you really want? Would a "Superman 75th Anniversary one-shot" or a little "75th Anniversary" sticker on each issue's cover make a big difference?

Yeah, I think the Superman fanbase is pretty divided at this point and the whole run of Superman comics seems to be about moving forward without the past. That is to say, nothing about Superman currently feels as though they are in a place to be celebrating an anniversary. But soon, when the movie approaches and he has a comic with A-List talent, I'm sure they'll try to ramp that up.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I believe they mentioned that in the hype for the new Scott Snyder & Jim Lee book, so they might bring it up again.

You're getting a new movie and a new comic book by DC's top selling writer AND artist, I mean what do you really want? Would a "Superman 75th Anniversary one-shot" or a little "75th Anniversary" sticker on each issue's cover make a big difference?

Um, some kind of acknowledgement that the first superhero is hitting a major milestone. Maybe in the Nu52 columns in the back of the books or something. And take your snarky ass attitude somewhere else.

the comics are good! THe Movie looks good! Few hardback collections coming out!

I have been celebrating. That huge 75 year DC book has a great cover. I wonder if they are afraid of putting the number next to the Nu guy. This site has been fun to read, so I think it's a great time to be a fan. I wouldl like an all in celebration comic by tons of creators doing different stories in different styles.

Yeah, that's what I'm expecting. I don't think they're going to do a huge Superman month or anything. A small acknowledgement here and there, maybe some nice variant covers, larger sized issues of Action Comics and Superman. But Man of Steel will certainly be the centrepiece of any celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman Priime View Post
    Um, some kind of acknowledgement that the first superhero is hitting a major milestone. Maybe in the Nu52 columns in the back of the books or something. And take your snarky ass attitude somewhere else.
    I don't think he's the one with the "snarky ass attitude".
    Your name is Kal-El. You are the only survivor of the planet Krypton. Even though you've been raised as a human being, you are not one of them
    JOR-EL

I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm trying to be realistic...

You're complaining about DC not recognizing Superman's 75th anniversary, in a year where they are giving you a new MOVIE and a new comic book by their absolute top creatives. Not to mention constantly putting out trade collections of classic stories, and launching a new statue line...and they're launching that new weekly digital first Adventures of Superman title too. And I can't remember which storyline it is, but I know there's another animated Superman movie coming too.

My point is that what you're asking for seems (to me at least) to be significantly less cool or important than what they're going to give you.

You're complaining about DC not recognizing Superman's 75th anniversary, in a year where they are giving you a new MOVIE and a new comic book by their absolute top creatives. Not to mention constantly putting out trade collections of classic stories, and launching a new statue line...and they're launching that new weekly digital first Adventures of Superman title too. And I can't remember which storyline it is, but I know there's another animated Superman movie coming too.

My point is that what you're asking for seems (to me at least) to be significantly less cool or important than what they're going to give you.
    Superman Prime asking for acknowledgement of a milestone in the life of a character. Its not unheard of. When most people celebrate a 75th birthday, they don't just have a party without mentioning what it's for.

EDIT: To a degree, I agree with you though. It is unnecessary, but its also odd nonetheless.
    Last edited by rhymeswithparc; 02-08-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by clownprince01 View Post
    Yeah, that's what I'm expecting. I don't think they're going to do a huge Superman month or anything. A small acknowledgement here and there, maybe some nice variant covers, larger sized issues of Action Comics and Superman. But Man of Steel will certainly be the centrepiece of any celebration.

I don't think he's the one with the "snarky ass attitude".
    Really? I mean, he had to say some crap like this "You're getting a new movie and a new comic book by DC's top selling writer AND artist, I mean what do you really want? Would a "Superman 75th Anniversary one-shot" or a little "75th Anniversary" sticker on each issue's cover make a big difference?"

He acted like I asked for the world. Yeah, he's the one with the attitude. And you can GTFO with yours, too.

BANNED

A blurb in the books saying something like "Hey, fans, it's Superman's 75th anniversary. Here's what we have planned for the Man of Steel this year, yadda, yadda, yadda, etc."

The way you said it was like, "Dude, you're getting a movie, STFU and stop complaining."

It's a huge milestone. But, I'm not saying in every book has to have some panel on the covers stating this.

Damn, does every topic on these boards have to end up like this?

They're building towards it, and when the anniversary of Action Comics Vol.1 #1 hits, they'll have plenty of hype. Supes is still technically 74 until June cover date.
    Doomed Planet. Desperate Scientists. Last Hope. Kindly Couple.

A blurb in the books saying something like "Hey, fans, it's Superman's 75th anniversary. Here's what we have planned for the Man of Steel this year, yadda, yadda, yadda, etc."

The way you said it was like, "Dude, you're getting a movie, STFU and stop complaining."

It's a huge milestone. But, I'm not saying in every book has to have some panel on the covers stating this.

Damn, does every topic on these boards have to end up like this?
    I apologize if this came off as an attack or something, that was not my intention.

I think the "birthday party" analogy that rhymeswithparc came up with is pretty apt. It would be like if someone threw you an insane party but forgot to acknowledge that it's your birthday. On the one hand, sure, you could ask for the recognition, but on the other hand, the party they threw you was significantly cooler than your typical birthday party anyway. And Superman is not real, so it's not like his feelings will be hurt if they forget it entirely.

I wouldn't expect much, to be honest. When Superman turned 70, people in the city of Cleveland tried to organize "The Summer of Superman." It was going to have a comic convention, showings of the movies and other stuff. Only DC refused to let them use Superman in any promotions. They didn't want to celebrate Superman being 70 because it made him look dated and old. Maybe they'll celebrate 75 since that's a more recognized number, but I don't know. With the new movie and comics, I think DC is still going to try to market Superman as young and cool.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

BANNED

The celebration is in the new movie, the animated movie, the new book with DC's top talents, the new Digital book with a lot of great talents, having Jim Lee, Rocafort, and Tony Daniel draw him at the same time, all of which combined with the current two main titles and the two family titles. They just haven't put a sticker on it yet. Around June you'll probably get the sticker.