Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    SHOW ME YOUR THUMBS!! BohemiaDrinker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doordoor123 View Post
    IUsually these kinds of stories should start on a more personable/relatable level, but were just thrown into this plot with the character. I would like to be discovering this all with the characters or something of the sort.
    Have you read the New Guardians annual? It works as a prologue, and puts everything into context. It also introduces the main character. It`s not mandatory, but adds a lot to the first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CagedLeo730 View Post
    Team 7 had about those same numbers for issue Zero. I'm thinking Threshold is getting 8 issues.
    True, but was Team 7 ever rated highly by anyone? What's the general critic review on Threshold?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey2112 View Post
    True, but was Team 7 ever rated highly by anyone? What's the general critic review on Threshold?
    I haven't read many (semi-)professional critic reviews, but on all the various message boards it seems to be well-received.

As was mentioned upthread, DC didn't do a great job of marketing this - too bad given that it was DC's only DCU #1 that month. Imagine if it had been marketed like Green Arrow # 17!

The New Guardians annual, which was $4.99, actually sold better than this. Given that it was an optional lead-in to this title and that was $1 more (and DC annuals tend not to sell well in general compared to the cheaper monthlies), that's pretty shocking to me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that with books like this, it's up to us to spread the word, and hopefully keep them from going under before too long. Tell your friends & neighbors!

Well that's a disappointment.

But I will say this. Since it's in its own corner of the DCU, there's a bizarre possibility that something will cause it to click and sell well. The biggest problem I see with it so far is that it's avoiding things that would make people pick it up, specifically Adam Strange. I think his inclusion would drastically increase sales.

Quote Originally Posted by RKitch View Post

But I will say this. Since it's in its own corner of the DCU, there's a bizarre possibility that something will cause it to click and sell well. The biggest problem I see with it so far is that it's avoiding things that would make people pick it up, specifically Adam Strange. I think his inclusion would drastically increase sales.
    I'd love to see Adam Strange, but I'm not sure both of his fans would help sales.

Just kidding, but . . . I'm asking honestly, here, because I really have no idea . . . is Adam Strange really that big of a sales draw? When's the last time he was able to support his own series that wasn't a mini or a team book? Seems like a long time to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RKitch View Post

I'm not entirely convinced that Adam Strange is that much of a draw.... but if he was, I think it would be a good idea to keep him away to begin with.

This way, if sales slump and they want to give it another chance, you can market very prominently "Now With Adam Strange/Guy Gardner/Kyle Rayner!" plastered all over the covers, maybe even as a regular presence. Seems a good ace to have in the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    you can market very prominently "Now With Adam Strange/Guy Gardner/Kyle Rayner!" plastered all over the covers, maybe even as a regular presence. Seems a good ace to have in the hole.
    Sounds like a good idea, but knowing DC they'd wait until the book was already set for cancellation before doing this, when there would be absolutely no chance of saving the book.

Kind of like they're doing with Batwing now . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced that Adam Strange is that much of a draw.... but if he was, I think it would be a good idea to keep him away to begin with.

This way, if sales slump and they want to give it another chance, you can market very prominently "Now With Adam Strange/Guy Gardner/Kyle Rayner!" plastered all over the covers, maybe even as a regular presence. Seems a good ace to have in the hole.
    Yeah that makes sense. The biggest reason I say bring him in is since people recognize him. Familiarity is the biggest thing the book lacks in the first issue, but I think Blue Beetle could help booster sales, but I won't get my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyOlsenMustDie View Post
    Kind of like they're doing with Batwing now . . .
    Really? Batwing's going under? Sucks to be an Incorporated fan now. :(
    Last edited by RKitch; 02-13-2013 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandrakk View Post
    Oww,well that does not really bode well for the book's future,on the other hand there have been a lot of cancellations lately so it is possible that there won't be others for quite some time,also it remains to be seen how much people it loses,if it manages to stay in the 22K range it might be fine.
    I doubt it can do that. It will probably be sub-20k when issue 3 comes out.

Long Live the Legion Zero Hunter's Avatar

Blue Beetle 15 and 16 also lead into Threshold. Maybe with BB being in the book it will bring over some of the fans of that book now that its ending.

Oh man this is already selling poorly. Blast it all.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa View Post
    Oh man this is already selling poorly. Blast it all.....
    Further reminder that sentiments by message board communities don't mean squat. Everybody was gushing and wetting themselves with excitement when this book was announced. Then BAM!... 29K in first issue.

Quote Originally Posted by beetle_booster View Post
    Further reminder that sentiments by message board communities don't mean squat. Everybody was gushing and wetting themselves with excitement when this book was announced. Then BAM!... 29K in first issue.
    Well, there aren't twenty nine thousand people on the board. If I remember correctly, a lot of people reacted with "I want to read that!" when it was announced. And then they did. And most of them enjoyed it.

I don't remember anyone suggesting that a series full of mostly new characters, who's biggest draw was Jaime "I love him, but he's never been a great seller" Reyes in a support role, would be a big seller.

Quote Originally Posted by Mindworm View Post
    I’m afraid that this title hasn’t got a chance of surviving very long. The first issue sold somewhat more than the first issue of Sword and Sorcery, and somewhat less than Team 7, and both these titles are now being cancelled. I have taken a look at other titles that have had a rather low-selling first-issue (below 40000), and how well these titles sold 6 months later. The most solid of such titles, is All Star Western, selling 39319 the first month and 22814 after 6 months, this being 58% of the first month. If we look at other titles like Ravagers, Resurrection Man, Frankenstein, Grifter, Voodoo and I, Vampire, all these started somewhat better than Treshold, and they sold about 40% of first-month’s sale after 6 months. My guess is that after 6 months Treshold will sell between 12000 and 15000 copies, and this is too little to keep it running.

Resurrection Man, Frankenstein, I Vampire, Omac, to me that's good company to be in! Sad the sales aren't there but those are some quality comics. I will be re reading those and I can't say that about the all the Big Names in the Nu 52.

I think it is like the 2000 A.D books from back when. Giffen just does good work I think!
    Last edited by Coyote2010; 02-14-2013 at 08:58 PM.

Got the first two issues Wednesday at my LCBS because a friend of mine is huge Keith Giffen fan. Figured I would try out Threshold for myself after hearing him talk about it. After reading them I gotta say, I really really enjoyed them. I don't care if the book is gonna get canceled at issue 6 or 100. I am going to keep buying it. And now, at the very least, I know I like another writer at DC.
    Ever-changing Pulls
    DC - Batman, Aquaman, JL, JLD, JLA, Flash, Constantine, Supes Unchaned, Swampy, Wake
    Image - Saga
    Dark Horse - Star Wars