Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is Hickman's "Infinity" related to "Ultimates: Infinity"?

For those of you who haven't heard, there's been a new big Marvel event teased: Infinity! The only creators we know to be attached so far are Jonathan Hickman and the amazing Jim Cheung. As we also know, Sam Humphries has mentioned that 2013 will bring "ULTIMATES: INFINITY." Is there a correlation?

(Don't worry, this post won't be as long as my amazing Defenders theory)

(Seriously, that theory was some great work...go read it)

Anyway, let me first say - I couldn't be more excited by a big book with Hickman and Cheung as creators. To me, that's like if Jimi Hendrix was to sit in with Led Zeppelin... two amazing things joining forces.

But more to the point, do you think these could be related?

Based on the teaser for Hickman's Infinity, Thanos is clearly involved. And based on his New Avengers run, so are the Infinity Gems (which is pretty standard for Thanos).

Based on the past few months of Ultimates, it's also pretty clear that Humphries is building towards a big Infinity gem story.

Additionally, there's one other meaning that's easy to miss in this context for "Infinity" - and that's the literal one. "Infinity" could be talking about the Multiverse and its infinite possibilities. We know Hickman has some New Universe plans. He's brought Hyperion to the Avengers (or, at least, A Hyperion). And he's also well versed - and extremely skilled - in the Ultimate Universe.

I mentioned the other day when this was teased that it could be a joint story. That was mostly just out of coincidence, as the more likely explanation was that both writers were told to use Thanos or the gems in preparation for 2014's GotG movie, and the forthcoming Avengers 2. Starting these big stories this summer would allow the trades to be out in plenty of time for the movie. But then, I saw this tweet, which sage6paths pointed out:

Now, this could be a tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that they're both writing "Infinity" stories, but the conspiracy theorist in me says it could also be more than that.

Anyway - overly long post finished. Any thoughts? What could a story like this mean? What would you think about a crossover between the two? What if it's not a full crossover, but just a side-by-side, somewhat connecting story?

Well... what do you think?!?!
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Could either be fun or a huge mess.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

I think it would be neat. The 616/UU wall has already been breached so I say bring it on.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

Yea could be building towards something big, especially considering that a pretty big theme that's going on in New Avengers (and leaking into Avengers) is the Cataclysm in which two Earths of different universes collide destroying both. And with 616 and 1610 having already met, this could lead to a crossover between the two.
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

I hope not, I really hope not. I know that wall has already been breached but I really hope they brick it up and forget it is even there

I much prefer the Wackos/Defenders theory but unfortunately I think I know which is more likely to be true

On Vacation

I wouldn't mind it if Humphries wasn't writing it but I can't really trust him to write part of a full blown universe event. But either way I do hope it involves Ultimate Reed Richards coming back to "save the universe" hahahahaha. That would be hilarious.
    Last edited by sage6paths; 02-08-2013 at 06:10 AM.

Like several others, I'm a bit against a full-on 616-Avengers/Ultimates team-up, interdimensional crossover. But on a smaller scale, I think it could be really cool. If I had my druthers, it would center around Reed Richards.

Some of the veterans around here may remember this theory from 2011 (man, I have a lot of great theories!). Basically, my question was: "What if Ultimate Reed joined the council of Reeds from Hickman's F4 run?"

SOME MINOR SPOILERS FOR HICKMAN'S AMAZING FANTASTIC FOUR RUN!

Obviously, that didn't happen (well, it still could have happened off panel, but I may just need to accept that it didn't and isn't going to). Also, the Council doesn't exist anymore, if I remember correctly.

But now, in Hickman's New Avengers, Reed faces (yet again) one of the biggest threats he has ever seen. Universes are literally colliding. Even Black Panther is scared. It's a big deal. So since Reed no longer has the Council to fall back on, he could go looking for a Reed Richards that was never in the Council. 616-Reed shows up in the UU, finds whoever he needs to find (Fury? Stark?), and says "WHERE IS YOUR REED RICHARDS?!?!" Not sure where it would go from there, but that seems like it could be pretty cool.

With Hickman's work over the last few years - the Council of Reeds in F4, the Children in Ultimates, the Illuminati in New Avengers - this almost makes TOO much sense. Hickman is known for keeping a lot of his work centered around a similar theme, and this would bring all his recent Marvel work together.

That said, it's still pretty unlikely, but man would it be cool. Or it might suck, but I haven't thought that with any Hickman story yet. If there's one person I trust to handle this properly, it's Jonathan Hickman. Plus, it would bring him back to the UU for a bit, and we all miss him.

Quote Originally Posted by horsehead View Post
    I much prefer the Wackos/Defenders theory but unfortunately I think I know which is more likely to be true
    That's definitely a more solid theory, but you're right - it's not nearly as likely, which is too bad. I really loved what I came up with for that.

What about a tie-in with Hickman's New Avengers & events on 1610 Earth/616 Earth?

BANNED

The words "Infinity Orgy" are definetly appealing. Sounds like a lot of fun.

But I fear that 2013 is going to become a massive crossover with 616 and 1610. I don't want this to happen. I'm scared. I don't think this means Hickman's going to be writing for the UU again. He'll stick with his current Avengers run whilst Humphries continues to slowly destroy the UU with his Ultimates. And if there is a cross-over between the two books, it will only make the UU seem vastly inferior to "THE MARVEL UNIVERSE". Fans will see what Humphries is writing in the UU and they'll see what Hickman is writing in 616. They'll then compare the two creative works and the UU will at first glance seem like nothing but a smaller, weaker version of 616 with all their best characters killed off and with dodgy Humphries writing that is not in the slightest bit as good as Hickman's Avengers.

On Vacation

Times like these makes me really miss Mark Millar. If anyone can make an epic scale multiverse event it's either Millar, Hickman, Warren Ellis, and a couple others that I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie_Jee View Post
    The words "Infinity Orgy" are definetly appealing. Sounds like a lot of fun.
    An Orgy might be fun but an infinite orgy sounds like hell. F_(king hell.

It could be Hickman just making a pun oh Humphries previous works, Infinite Love where everything has sex including inanimate objects. That seems like the most obvious answer to me
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Quote Originally Posted by sage6paths View Post
    Times like these makes me really miss Mark Millar. If anyone can make an epic scale multiverse event it's either Millar, Hickman, Warren Ellis, and a couple others that I can't remember.
    I loved Ultimates, but there's no way I'd want to see Millar try something like this. His F4 run that preceded Hickman's was quite hit/miss, and most complaints about Civil War are his failure to properly characterize such a large cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    It could be Hickman just making a pun oh Humphries previous works, Infinite Love where everything has sex including inanimate objects. That seems like the most obvious answer to me
    Definitely a possibility.

On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    I loved Ultimates, but there's no way I'd want to see Millar try something like this. His F4 run that preceded Hickman's was quite hit/miss, and most complaints about Civil War are his failure to properly characterize such a large cast.
    I think with Civil War he was very limited with what he could do because of Marvel. I have his civil war scritptbook and he talks about a lot of that stuff. I think given the right incentive he could make it work. I think it would be better then Bendis doing it but obviously Hickman or Ellis would make a better choice. But I wouldn't mind Millar doing it so long as he has room to breath and express his ideas without having to be told what to do all the time. I think Hitch even talked about that and why he didn't like Marvel.

If they do it, I hope it ends the UU as a separate thing. Kill all the UU versions except for Miles, keep his book but have it placed in 616. Works for me. I don't want the UU to go away, but that'd be the least messy way to do it.
    Comics are more better.