View Poll Results: Choose your destiny for the UU

Voters
70. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Lets merge them and get the Ultimate 616 Now!

    6 8.57%
  • No thanks, the UU is too cool for 616

    41 58.57%
  • Thank god this isn't really happening...for now

    23 32.86%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 113
  1. #31
    No time for white drama Ballard Blues's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    WOULD YOU RATHER SEE THE UU END OR MERGE WITH 616?
    Why would I want the Universe I prefer, after backpedaling from the other, to merge with it? No.
    “For the natural born smartass, nine times out of ten
    the "smartass impulse" is acted upon before the brain
    has even engaged in first gear.”
    - Stephen King?

  2. #32
    The Best There Is Wolverine12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Claw City
    Posts
    6,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Question: If you guys have bailed on the Ultimates U, when and why? I bailed a little after DoSM.
    I still buy every UU issue that comes out, although I haven't really felt the same since Ultimatum about it. There are flashes here and there, but for the most part it is not as awesome as it used to be to me.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I still buy every UU issue that comes out, although I haven't really felt the same since Ultimatum about it. There are flashes here and there, but for the most part it is not as awesome as it used to be to me.
    What keeps you buying them, are you a completist? Because I have to fight the urge to get them just to finish it.

  4. #34
    On Vacation
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    What keeps you buying them, are you a completist? Because I have to fight the urge to get them just to finish it.
    More like loyalists. Though it gets really hard when people like Loeb and Humphires are writing.

  5. #35
    Ultimate Mod! Plawsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    7,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Fair point, but I didn't mean that everything in Ultimate should be thrown away and start as if it never existed. I was referring more to a Crisis or Flashpoint style reboot. Maybe something that involves Galactus or the Watchers can make it happen. I think the Marvel reimagined road is still viable. If it weren't, then shows like Avengers EMH wouldn't be successful. And they are. There are many different ways to build another Marvel universe and a reboot would allow Ultimate to grow in a new way.
    While it would be cool to see these same characters go on a different path, I just don't think it would work. An "Ultimate Universe 2" would kind of go against everything the UU stood for when it started, in that it would be complicating canon to a major extent. Plus, I think it would hurt the marketability of the UU. While I would certainly buy a set of "What if Ultimatum didn't happen" books, I can't see them really taking off.

    That's not to say that it couldn't work. Earth 2 has obviously been revisited several different times. My point is just that continuing to call it the Ultimate Universe would probably defeat the purpose. Earth 2 works as a name, because it represents a place in the multiverse. It would be easier if they were to just end the UU properly, waited a few years, and then launched a new side-universe. I just don't know if it would work on a large scale again, like it did a decade ago.

    I think it'd be great if Marvel just did something new, from the ground up. "The Marvel Universe, but set in prehistoric times" or something like that. Sure, it's little more than a play on 1602, 2099, or any of those Universes, but there are a ton of different scenarios you could run. If Marvel were to actually put some strong effort into it, it could be something big.

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Question: If you guys have bailed on the Ultimates U, when and why? I bailed a little after DoSM.
    I never have, but I came REALLY close once. I think it was right after New Ultimates #2 came out. It was a perfect combination of several factors:

    -I was still put off by Ultimatum
    -David Lafuente was making USM much less enjoyable (and the story itself wasn't incredible)
    -I didn't like the bimonthly, alternating schedule of Ultimate X and New Ultimates
    -On top of that, both books - and Ultimate Avengers at the time (and maybe even Armor Wars) - were going through delays
    -Ultimate X #1 had just come out and I wasn't a big fan
    -The X-Men and Fantastic Four were essentially gone

    And then New Ultimates #2 came out and it was awful. I had thought the first issue was pretty meh, but it was the second one that really stood out as bad.

    Luckily, Ultimate Avengers got back on schedule (though down in quality), Lafuente got better, New Ultimates #3 was a big improvement (but #4 was pretty dang bad), Ultimate X got better, Ultimate Thor happened, and then the relaunch. My expectations were also probably lowered, which helped during those times.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

    I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

  6. #36
    The Best There Is Wolverine12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Claw City
    Posts
    6,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    What keeps you buying them, are you a completist? Because I have to fight the urge to get them just to finish it.
    I am with the UU. I take a small measure of personal pride that I own every issue of the UU in one format or other.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

  7. #37
    Lazer Faced Goggindowner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Little Elm, Texas
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Question: If you guys have bailed on the Ultimates U, when and why? I bailed a little after DoSM.
    I lost a lot of interest in the line once Ultimatum happened. I had been reading Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men for the most part, but Ultimatum #1 was just so so bad IMO that I decided to skip it. Once it was over, I took a look around the UU and realized that nothing that I enjoyed about the UU was still in place. At the time, I was only interested in reading stories about alternate version of characters I was familiar with. If it happened now, and things got completely shaken up, it probably wouldn't be such a big deal, as I am no longer attached to Marvel characters at all, so the sacred cow effect is gone.

    That being said, I started up again with the most recent relaunch and was really enjoying everything I was reading. However, I just can't keep up with monthly books anymore, and I have too many other trades and books that I want to read more than Ultimate Marvel stuff, so it keeps getting put on the back burner and may just stay there forever.
    Writers before artists.
    Artists before concepts.
    Concepts before characters.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Phelpzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Chester, IL
    Posts
    2,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Question: If you guys have bailed on the Ultimates U, when and why? I bailed a little after DoSM.
    Alil but after DoSM, I still hope in from time to time to see f anything cool has happened, Venom Wars has me reading Spidey again but that's the only UU book

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I am with the UU. I take a small measure of personal pride that I own every issue of the UU in one format or other.
    Yeah I have everything up to Death of Spidey and all of Miles, but I cannot for the life of me find Ultimate X4 and Annual X-Men and Fantastic Four & Annual Fantastic Four and X-Men

  10. #40
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Personally I'd rather see 3 different Universes, and I think this idea would please everyone for a number of reasons.
    The first Universe would be the 616 continued how it is. The second would be the Ultimate universe, which answers the call for a rebooted 616. I think the Ultimate Universe has done a pretty good job of filling that role. The third Universe would be something new to Marvel, a universe where time passes. It doesn't have to be real time, but it would be cool if at least a year went by every 10 years or so, and heroes started getting older. Each different character is another possibility for a unique story about a super hero passing his prime, or becoming something more. Some might be training successors, or retiring, etc. New younger heroes would also start to pop up as older heroes disappeared. The possibilities are endless.

    As it is now, I don't think Marvel would ever merge 616 and Ultimate because it goes against what they've obviously intentionally done. They could have rebooted everything like DC did, but they chose to do a reboot that didn't replace what they already had, because a lot of people wanted to keep reading 616. They know better than to just replace it. The Ultimate U was a really smart reboot.
    http://trallis.blogspot.com/
    A blog about high adventure and comic book collecting

  11. #41
    Liverpool John Ossie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    The third Universe would be something new to Marvel, a universe where time passes. It doesn't have to be real time, but it would be cool if at least a year went by every 10 years or so, and heroes started getting older. Each different character is another possibility for a unique story about a super hero passing his prime, or becoming something more. Some might be training successors, or retiring, etc. New younger heroes would also start to pop up as older heroes disappeared. The possibilities are endless.

    As it is now, I don't think Marvel would ever merge 616 and Ultimate because it goes against what they've obviously intentionally done. They could have rebooted everything like DC did, but they chose to do a reboot that didn't replace what they already had, because a lot of people wanted to keep reading 616. They know better than to just replace it. The Ultimate U was a really smart reboot.

    I personally really like that idea for a third universe (although if it ever happened my wallet would at least initially hate the idea lol).

  12. #42
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    I personally really like that idea for a third universe (although if it ever happened my wallet would at least initially hate the idea lol).
    I know what you mean. My wallet was hoping Marvel now would be a massive flop so I could ease up my pull list but somehow they managed to put out a ton of new books that i genuinely like a lot. This is the first time that theres been a large number of comics coming out that i like but im not getting. I just cant afford it. I think if Marvel ever did what i said and introduced a third Universe i would have to just opt completely out of one. I'd imagine the best writers would be wanting to work on the new completely untouched territory.. Just think how bad writers block they must get considering like 3 years have passed in the past 40 years. Theres no changes to act on or create a catalyst for something wild and bew to happen. all they can really do is increase intensity
    http://trallis.blogspot.com/
    A blog about high adventure and comic book collecting

  13. #43
    Liverpool John Ossie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    3,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    I know what you mean. My wallet was hoping Marvel now would be a massive flop so I could ease up my pull list but somehow they managed to put out a ton of new books that i genuinely like a lot. This is the first time that theres been a large number of comics coming out that i like but im not getting. I just cant afford it. I think if Marvel ever did what i said and introduced a third Universe i would have to just opt completely out of one. I'd imagine the best writers would be wanting to work on the new completely untouched territory.. Just think how bad writers block they must get considering like 3 years have passed in the past 40 years. Theres no changes to act on or create a catalyst for something wild and bew to happen. all they can really do is increase intensity
    Yeah it feels like I'm getting more now then I was pre-NOW! And with the Ultron and Thanos stories coming up soon both of whom are two of my favourite villains of all time I might have to drop some myself as it is. Though saying that I have recently dropped X-Men Legacy and Age of Apocalypse is ending soon so that helps a bit lol. As far as the UU I only read USM at the moment as I haven't liked the UU as much since Ultimatum personally speaking.

    Still I like the idea of a third universe and it would be interesting to see how they'd do it if they ever decided to do it.

  14. #44
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Didn't vote because you don't have the option of "I don't want the Ultimate fanfic universe sullying the 616".

  15. #45
    Elder Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MadEdric View Post
    Didn't vote because you don't have the option of "I don't want the Ultimate fanfic universe sullying the 616".
    People don't get paid to write fan-fiction.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •