Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Dial H, #9

China Mieville and Alberto Ponticelli continue to
    create bizarre new heroes in "Dial H" #9, even
    as we learn that not all dialers are made equal,
    and the Centipede begins to piece it all
    together.

Full article here.

Dial H was great this week, and I'm happy reviewers are starting to pick up on it...

That said, I'm saddened that it's only happened now that the book has become simpler, subtextually slimmer.

I'm loving this book because it's a whole god damn lot of fun, it's wildly creative, it's deeply characterful and it's expertly put together by Mieville. And the resonances and subtext, there is still some of that there (especially in regards to Canada and the whole subversion of expectations, which is one of the throughlines of the run with the doctor-who-does-harm, the deeply human monster, the fat and old superhero protagonists), but it's far less dense than it once was. That, apparently, tripped people up, but it is what made it so BRILLIANT to me.

There is less to dig into, each issue. And that's okay - especially as Morrison's Action ramps up in complexity - but it disappointments me regularly that the general public isn't more into those kinds of books, if only because it means I'm less likely to get them.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Desaad View Post
    There is less to dig into, each issue. And that's okay - especially as Morrison's Action ramps up in complexity - but it disappointments me regularly that the general public isn't more into those kinds of books, if only because it means I'm less likely to get them.
    Keep in mind that the art has a lot to do with it. It's a visual medium, after all. If the art isn't appealing, a little-known title like this isn't going to attract readers.

I was interested enough in the story to buy it despite art I didn't care for, then the new artist came along, and I just couldn't handle it any more, so I dropped it.
    Current favorites: Claymore, Puella Magi Kazumi Magica, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Justice League, Birds of Prey

Liked the issue, but the art was noticeably bad in some spots to me. The issue as a whole wasn't great though, and I felt like not much happened, but there were some key ideas that were nice, such as the Dials having problems working with some people.
    Superhero Popularity Study

New and improved second poll is up!

Quote Originally Posted by Yttrium View Post
    Keep in mind that the art has a lot to do with it. It's a visual medium, after all. If the art isn't appealing, a little-known title like this isn't going to attract readers.

I was interested enough in the story to buy it despite art I didn't care for, then the new artist came along, and I just couldn't handle it any more, so I dropped it.
    I understand the resistance to Pontecilli (who is not my favorite at the best of times, and this was far from his best).

But this review is dramatically superior to the reviews the book was getting in its first few issues, all of which were (IMHO) stronger than the current stuff, but which were often maligned for being confusing or too dense or what have you.

But yes, I'd like a new artist, and fast.
    Check out my New Blog! Just a random assortment of ideas, thoughts, and reviews!

This was my pick for book of the week. This book is like the best example of a pure comic book: wildly imaginative and doing things that work best in the medium, just like totally insane stuff that highlights what makes comics so much fun. "The Glimpse" was great, I mean Mieville is so smart to come up with completely off the wall stuff like this that really reinvent your perceptions of what is possible in a superhero book. Centipede is an amazing character, and the pairing of Nelson and Roxie is really something special. I love the sense of humor here too; Centipede's helmet and the rationalization for it was priceless.

Ponticelli's art is really, really ugly in places. I think the ugliness works with the title, because Santoluoco was ugly too, but Santoluoco was better, and I'm a little disappointed in Ponticelli's art so far, because I liked his work so much in Unknown Soldier. It's not bad, it just seems to take things a bit too far in panels, as human characters often look mutated or something.

Not the best issue of this title, but still excellent. This title is definitely one of the biggest successes of the New 52. I think its resistance to New 52 continuity is really paying off, because its maintained its originality where other Dark titles have faltered by becoming too intertwined with crossovers and such.

Great issue. I liked the Minotaura hero. That cover is fantastic.

Great issue. The Minotaura character was a nice surprise.

Eh, this book is slipping. It's not as complex as it once was and the dialog is making me wince. That exchange last issue referencing 80s music was terribly cheesy, and that continues with the interplay between Rox and Nelson in this issue. They sound like simpletons when they speak to one another. At least that's how it's coming off to me. Also, while I liked Pontecilli on Frankenstein (at least once Fauncher did the inks) he doesn't fit here.

And what the heck is with that stupid bug head they are making centepede wear? -Sigh- it's just getting too dumb.

On the plus side, they dialed up some interesting heroes. There's some nice tense moments at the end -- The issue wasn't a disaster by any means, but it's not what it was... I'd give it maybe 3 stars?
    PrettyDeadly/WonderWoman/FBP/Velvet/Revival/Lazarus/EastofWest/ManhattanProjects/Fatale/Alex+Ada/Rat Queens/Saga/Bandette/HighCrimes/Red Sonja/RachelRising/Ghost/Zero/Veil/Cap. Marvel/She Hulk/Magneto

BANNED

I still like the book, but I prefer when it was more complex, even if I didn't get all of it. I liked the first 5 issues because I had something to go back to and read again.

government's watching you matt levin's Avatar
    western Massachusetts, USA; rural, river valley

still one of the freshest titles DCs new52 has produced. every title seems to have its slack moments, hang in there, support Dial H, and wait for the best!
    Walking Man Comics

Age/Bronze-A.S.Westrn-AstroCity-Amelia-CourtneyC.-Brody'sGhost-DD-Dial H-Fables-Fatale-Fell-Goon-Groo-Hellboy-Mudman-NextWave-Rocketeer-StarDrop-Thief-Usagi-Wolff/Byrd-Unwritten

Quote Originally Posted by Selinafan View Post
    Eh, this book is slipping. It's not as complex as it once was and the dialog is making me wince. That exchange last issue referencing 80s music was terribly cheesy, and that continues with the interplay between Rox and Nelson in this issue. They sound like simpletons when they speak to one another. At least that's how it's coming off to me. Also, while I liked Pontecilli on Frankenstein (at least once Fauncher did the inks) he doesn't fit here.

And what the heck is with that stupid bug head they are making centepede wear? -Sigh- it's just getting too dumb.

On the plus side, they dialed up some interesting heroes. There's some nice tense moments at the end -- The issue wasn't a disaster by any means, but it's not what it was... I'd give it maybe 3 stars?
    For what it's worth, I don't agree with this at all.

Yes, much of the subtextual complexity has been cut down (although, as I mentioned, it's still there, just even MORE subtle, and there is less of it), but I'm finding the basics to be stronger than ever, and the creativity to be perhaps even superior in regards to the plot and character creation. The character work Mieville is doing here with Roxy and Nelson is superior to almost anything else on the stands, perhaps short of Saga (and Saga is much 'easier', the characters much less idiosyncratic).

This is still one of the best books being published today, and short of Morrison's Action it's probably the densest.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    still one of the freshest titles DCs new52 has produced. every title seems to have its slack moments, hang in there, support Dial H, and wait for the best!
    It has to be said, I don't see this as a 'slack moment' for Dial H in THE LEAST.

This issue was the best thing I read this week, and I have no doubt it will be in the top 5 things I read all month. I'm enjoying it immensely, and I can't say enough good things.

It's all relative, you know?

I really loved this issue. Sure, the art was iffy at some points, but it was an excellent mix of character-work, humour, and Mieville's goofy ideas. Every month, I think Mieville's come up with a hero he can't top, then last month we got Flame War...and this month, the Glimpse. The man truly is a just a limitless idea factory.

I actually believe that this series has been getting stronger since the first arc. Yes it's "simpler," but I think that's more a symptom of Mieville's adjusting to the medium. I am a huge, huge Mieville fanboy and have read all of his novels and I think that, quite honestly, he didn't feel comfortable in the first arc. The whole "nothingness" idea was a great idea and it's the sort of thing you'd see in his novels (crisis energy in Perdido Street Station or the alien language in Embassytown for instance), but in his novels, Mieville is able to really flesh out his abstract ideas with lots of florid prose. He just doesn't have that luxury when working in comics, hence the first arc being at times difficult to FULLY grasp, or at least get a handle of in the same way I could crisis energy in Perdido. So the first arc was really very much a learning experience for Mieville I think and what we're seeing now is him calibrating to the medium.

Anyway, great issue. Art could be quite rough and uneven, but was not at all a deal-breaker nor did it significantly detract from the book; Ponticelli really isn't a bad fit, honestly. Then again, that may be owing to the fact that I'm fairly used to Ponticelli, having followed both Unknown Soldier and Frankenstein monthly. I imagine it could be off-putting for someone picking up his work for the first time.

Also, the centipede helmet was hilarious. I also can't help but think that it was a little bit of a wink by Mieville to his fans who've read Perdido Street Station.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    I really loved this issue. Sure, the art was iffy at some points, but it was an excellent mix of character-work, humour, and Mieville's goofy ideas. Every month, I think Mieville's come up with a hero he can't top, then last month we got Flame War...and this month, the Glimpse. The man truly is a just a limitless idea factory.

I actually believe that this series has been getting stronger since the first arc. Yes it's "simpler," but I think that's more a symptom of Mieville's adjusting to the medium. I am a huge, huge Mieville fanboy and have read all of his novels and I think that, quite honestly, he didn't feel comfortable in the first arc. The whole "nothingness" idea was a great idea and it's the sort of thing you'd see in his novels (crisis energy in Perdido Street Station or the alien language in Embassytown for instance), but in his novels, Mieville is able to really flesh out his abstract ideas with lots of florid prose. He just doesn't have that luxury when working in comics, hence the first arc being at times difficult to FULLY grasp, or at least get a handle of in the same way I could crisis energy in Perdido. So the first arc was really very much a learning experience for Mieville I think and what we're seeing now is him calibrating to the medium.

Anyway, great issue. Art could be quite rough and uneven, but was not at all a deal-breaker nor did it significantly detract from the book; Ponticelli really isn't a bad fit, honestly. Then again, that may be owing to the fact that I'm fairly used to Ponticelli, having followed both Unknown Soldier and Frankenstein monthly. I imagine it could be off-putting for someone picking up his work for the first time.

Also, the centipede helmet was hilarious. I also can't help but think that it was a little bit of a wink by Mieville to his fans who've read Perdido Street Station.
    yes i agree it seems like it became more comic booky and it's awesome for it!