Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

And think of the Atlantean secrets, weapons, or lore he might be able to bring out.

He's on board with the idea; he's invested uniquely with Earth since he rules so much of it. Besides, I think the core Illuminati feel a sense of shared responsibility, like "This was a bad idea from the beginning and we all know it, and no one has the moral high ground any more, but we can't just walk away now."

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    You can certainly make an arguement that he's not needed.

But he knows about the situation, and is willing to help. And he can be an asset both for his physical attributes in case they need some extra muscle, and because of the potential resources he brings as king of Atlantis.

If Namor didn't want to be there, I doubt anyone would bother trying to keep him around. He did already start one fight, so he might end up being a disruption. It's possible he might do more harm than good, since he's obviously not the most popular guy in the room, for understandable reasons. But as long as he's willing to help, and as long as he's more an asset than a liability, then it probably makes sense to keep him around and see how it goes.
    He's still a asset. Plus he has a lot to lose here.

Quote Originally Posted by chariset View Post
    And think of the Atlantean secrets, weapons, or lore he might be able to bring out.

He's on board with the idea; he's invested uniquely with Earth since he rules so much of it. Besides, I think the core Illuminati feel a sense of shared responsibility, like "This was a bad idea from the beginning and we all know it, and no one has the moral high ground any more, but we can't just walk away now."
    ^^^^^this. He doesn't want to lose any of that either.

Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    I don't really know why Namor is there anymore. The gems are gone, he's not really an expert at keeping universes from killing each other, and nobody likes him.

Why is he still there?
    Becasue he is one of the most powerful people on earth and controls about half i of it military power, Atlantis matches the combined power of the Surface world
    Pain shared is divided, joy shared is multiplied

Quote Originally Posted by USERNAME TAKEN View Post
    (Spoilers from New Avengers #3).

As we all know, Captain America was mind wiped by the Illuminati at the end of the issue. The Illuminati as well all know has a history of taking massive decisions which almost always have massive consequences for the Marvel universe.

The last time Captain America and Iron Man had a major falling out (combined with a ton of other factors) we had the Civil War. The last time the Illuminati acted out against another major character (the Hulk) we had World War Hulk.

If (and when) Captain America remembers what happens (as it's hinted in Avengers #1 that he's still dreaming about the whole thing) will he freak out and end his relationship with the Illuminati members or decide to stay and continue and split the Avengers in half?
    Wait for Bendis to grab hold of the idea , then he'll have Cap go crazy , go rogue and steal the cosmic cube and kill his friends and remake the world to his whims. "House of A". Written by top writer Brian Bendis , it'll sell a gazillion copies and it'll have gazillion crossover issues and Joe Q can restart again with all-new no.1 issues. Woo-hoo !

Quote Originally Posted by marshal99 View Post
    Wait for Bendis to grab hold of the idea , then he'll have Cap go crazy , go rogue and steal the cosmic cube and kill his friends and remake the world to his whims. "House of A". Written by top writer Brian Bendis , it'll sell a gazillion copies and it'll have gazillion crossover issues and Joe Q can restart again with all-new no.1 issues. Woo-hoo !
    Weirdly enough, in the Diassembled What If, it actually did end up Steve being the mastermind behind Wandas reality warping. It was a weird story.

But I think for marvel, the Heroic Age essentially was Caps House of A.

Weirdly enough, in the Diassembled What If, it actually did end up Steve being the mastermind behind Wandas reality warping. It was a weird story.

But I think for marvel, the Heroic Age essentially was Caps House of A.
    I agree since they saw fit to put him in charge of everything.
    Last edited by timeismoney; 02-09-2013 at 09:21 AM.
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

Quote Originally Posted by timeismoney View Post
    I agree since the saw fit to put him in charge of everything.
    If you think about it, it really was remarkable what a turn around Cap had there.

He went from being a disgraced prisoner who ended up being shot and killed, to being the guy put in charge of policing the entire planet. Almost literally overnight from his perpsective.

You almost have to wonder if Steve wasn't hiding a cosmic cube in his pocket the entire time.

If you think about it, it really was remarkable what a turn around Cap had there.

He went from being a disgraced prisoner who ended up being shot and killed, to being the guy put in charge of policing the entire planet. Almost literally overnight from his perpsective.

You almost have to wonder if Steve wasn't hiding a cosmic cube in his pocket the entire time.
    It's called authorial / editorial contrivance. Steve's turnaround is nothing compared to Norman Osborn.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    It's called authorial / editorial contrivance. Steve's turnaround is nothing compared to Norman Osborn.
    This is true that s#it with Norman came out of nowhere.
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

Yeah. I liked how in Cabal meetings Doom pointed out that Osborn got all his power simply because he just got lucky. One has to wonder... if Wolverine hadn't gotten there half a second quicker, would he have been made top cop instead of Osborn?

Cap at least kinda made sense. If there's one guy the government, the public, and the hero community can almost universally all agree on at least in terms of trust it's probably him.

Well he was working towards it in tbolts and then rode his popularity after SI.

The curious one.

Doesn't say a lot for the people who put the in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by gregyo View Post
    I don't really know why Namor is there anymore. The gems are gone, he's not really an expert at keeping universes from killing each other, and nobody likes him.

Why is he still there?
    I think the others like having Namor around (well, not "like having him around" so much as think it is useful to have him around, obviously, since Namor is a dick) is that, like Black Bolt and possibly even moreso, they know he's a guy who is never, ever going to be squeamish.

That's how he's been used so far:
    He's the one for whom the do-whatever-it-takes thing is a more comfortable, default attitude rather than something he has to steel himself for.
    The one who questions the others' convictions whenever they seem like they might waver.
    The one who won't let these other, frankly much nicer men back down from the mantle of responsibility they accepted when they assembled this group.

If anyone's membership would be questioned, it'd probably be Black Bolt, considering that he hasn't even been on Earth for most of his recent history, and considering that he failed to safeguard his gem even before the rest of them were shattered.

Both Namor and Bolt are there partially because of their history and their gems, partially because they provide firepower for the team by being very strong heroes, largely because they're hugely important and influential men, but most of all because they're hardasses.
    Last edited by PupsOfWar; 02-10-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Doesn't say a lot for the people who put the in charge.

Well there are the same people or system that keep puting Gyrich in positions of power.