Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Millar & Quitely's "Jupiter's Legacy" - A Creator-Owned Event

Describing it as a Wagnerian superhero saga, Mark Millar promises a comic event in he and Frank Quitely's "Jupiter's Legacy," drawing inspiration from classic myths, Golden Age origins, King Kong and the end of America.

Full article here.

Its 10 issues and comes out Bi-Monthly. The first issue comes out in April of 2013. By my estimates, the best case scenario of this project concluding is October of 2014(!!!!). Good god that is far away. I'm taking the over and saying this won't be done until 2015. I'll wait for the trade on this one

Last time Quitely did 12 issues, it took from November 2005 - October 2008.

I love everything about Millar, from his writing to his enthusiasm. Just wish he had faster artists. Lenil Yu is an excellent fit as a fast penciller.

Millar should have tapped Stuart Immonen for this.

BANNED

I hope Quietly already finished the Multiversity issue. That's way more important than this.

Gotta say I like what he's saying here.

Now, if you're creating a new thing, you tend to have one eye on "New Scientist" when you're writing, to explain it all away with genomes, trilobites and nanobots. You ground it in the real world. I like this idea of keeping this magical, something a child could understand and almost closer to our daily lives.
    I like the idea of this book a lot. Kind of like Planetary or even 2001 Space Odyssey, with a more superhero-spin.
    Last edited by Mr. Holmes; 02-06-2013 at 03:59 PM.

I'm down for this. As far as I'm concerned, Quitely can take all the time he needs, the product will reflect the effort put into it. To me, and from what it looks like Millar too, it doesn't matter if other artists are faster. If it was drawn by someone else, it wouldn't be drawn by Frank Quitely. Plus, 3 pages a week is pretty fast for him, he's known for being a 1-2 pages a week guy. As far as having to wait for the next issue goes, I can wait. It might just mean I have to re-read issues when the next one comes out, but that isn't a bad thing.

Millar on the other hand, is usually hit or miss for me, but I like what he's saying here. I will definitely be in it for the long haul, even if it does turn out to be a looooooooooooooong haul.

ShaunN

I'm not a fan of Millar, but I do find what he is saying here to be intriguing.

I am a bit confused about his comments re: American poverty. For as long as I can remember, the US has had a much bigger problem with poverty than any other Western country. I suppose what he is talking about is the extent of the poverty. It's also ironic because (I would argue) most of the problems faced by the US are self-inflicted.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this.

this looks amazing!

Creator of Strange Paths! tesh_karde's Avatar

I would say that I'm an occasional Millar fan, and an occasional Quitely fan. Millar's run on Ultimate X-Men was epic, his Civil War is dece, as his Ultimates. Any else is pretty miss for me. But this looks freaking amazing. I am extremely pumped. Quitely, when he is on, is one of the best in the biz, and those pages look to be his best. "Shut up and take my money," indeed. :)
    Check out my fantasy-adventure web-comic Strange Paths @ www.strangepathscomic.tumblr.com

BANNED

Ultimate X-Men was epic? I really wanted to like that book. Style-wise, it's what X-Men should be, but the characters were just adolescent as hell.

I'm optimistic for this though. I worry the execution won't be as good as the ambition he has here, but at least it seems like he'll be trying to do something good, and not just pander to violence-craving 13 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I hope Quietly already finished the Multiversity issue. That's way more important than this.
    Morrison mentioned in of many interviews today that Quitely had 10 more pages to go on his Multiversity issue.

I find that quite often Mark Millar hater = equals Grant Morrison fan. I do not mean Grant Morrison fan = Mark Millar hater (just clarifying that). Just an observation i thought id share. It is polite to share after all. Its funny im not a big G Morrison fan and thats probably why i never post anything on Grant Morrison related news.. hmmm go figure. I dont feel that i have to edumacate Grant Morrison fans.

Yet another book featuring white leads.... Millar never fails to produce entertaining and often acclaimed work. He also never fails to show how non-white characters have no place in his acclaimed books. I am disappointed that comics as promising as this overlook the very serious lack of people of color missing from comics today. I'm glad Saga sees the issue and challenges it by having the two lead characters as non-white. I only wish more writers could do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by 100 View Post
    Yet another book featuring white leads.... Millar never fails to produce entertaining and often acclaimed work. He also never fails to show how non-white characters have no place in his acclaimed books. I am disappointed that comics as promising as this overlook the very serious lack of people of color missing from comics today. I'm glad Saga sees the issue and challenges it by having the two lead characters as non-white. I only wish more writers could do the same.
    Yeah, in Saga they are non-white alright. Because they are aliens, you fool!

never know what to feel about mark millar's work, but the art i've seen for this is amazing so far, f ck it put me down, quite frankly i don't mind if it's gonna be an issue every two months as i'm supposed to be tightening my comic budget anyway

hey guys you know what's hilarious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Quitely

under interior work:

Jupiter's Legacy #1-10 (with Mark Millar, Image, 2013–2027)
    HAHAHAHAHHAH

I don't like Millar. But I love Quitely's art. So, I think I'll buy this first issue at least.
    Avengers, New Av., Mighty Av., Secret Av., Uncanny Av., Young Av., Inhumanity, Thor God of Thunder, Wolverine.