Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 168
  1. #121
    Elder Member dupersuper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    30,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Again, nothing was changed. He was already reaching for his blaster with the intent to kill Greedo. Now, if Lucas had cut that out and left the Greedo shot first and Han returned fire as it is in the latest version, then you'd have a point. But the fact is that Lucas left all of Han's actions as is, up until he dodges. Hell, that's why Lucas even narrowed the firing time to almost being simultaneous.
    Ok...you're now defending "Greedo shot first". You've officially gone too far in your constant defending the party line of these franchises.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

  2. #122
    Veteran Member Simbob4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Again, nothing was changed. He was already reaching for his blaster with the intent to kill Greedo. Now, if Lucas had cut that out and left the Greedo shot first and Han returned fire as it is in the latest version, then you'd have a point. But the fact is that Lucas left all of Han's actions as is, up until he dodges. Hell, that's why Lucas even narrowed the firing time to almost being simultaneous.
    What? I'm sure you of all people know the whole reason for the change was to change Han's character. But let me tell you this: Han already reaching for his blaster, it's not the same as just shooting someone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    Yeah, they can actually come up with a good story.
    What the fuck are you talking about? Having some mystery to the character isn't going to stop them from having a good story, in fact, it could help.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    I'm not someone who bitched about Fett's mystique being undone by the PT. And I never denied I was a fanboy either. A fanboy can bitch about other fanboys.
    I'm not bitcing about it, I'm stating a plain fact; Attack of the Clones destroyed any mystery there was to the character. That's not some weird fanboy thing, that's something anyone who watches movies could point out if they've seen the Star Wars movies. And since there isn't any mystery to him anymore...well, that kind of sucks for anyone making a movie about him; because a lot of the appeal of the character was you really didn't know jack shit about him. Now we know everything about him; we know were he's from, what he looks like, who his "dad" is, how he learned everything, how he got into bounty hunting, that Boba Fett isn't a alias, where his fucking clothes come from, (jesus, we know why he looks the way he looks now) and that he saw his dad killed by a jedi.

  3. #123
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    I am not a prequel hater and honestly love George Lucas and everything Star Wars, but must admit that I feel having Han not shoot first changes his entire character arc if not the movie (or the entire trilogy!) as a whole.

  4. #124
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...off_150309.asp

    During a video interview at a press event for his new film Jack the Giant Slayer, Ewan McGregor told MTV that he would be interested in playing Obi-Wan Kenobi in a Star Wars spinoff movie. He cited the possibility of filling in the gap between his last movie, Episode III, and the appearance of Alec Guinness' older Kenobi in Episode IV.

    "That might be my window, there, to tell that story," McGregor said. "I don't know what he did in the desert. We could make up some stuff."

    Whatever the story might be, McGregor definitely seemed up to the task. "I'd be up for it," he said.

  5. #125
    Rargh! Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Woo!
    Posts
    28,982

    Default

    Yeah, if i was McGregor i would want to be in movies that make a lot of money too.

  6. #126
    Veteran Member Simbob4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jediracer View Post
    http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...off_150309.asp

    During a video interview at a press event for his new film Jack the Giant Slayer, Ewan McGregor told MTV that he would be interested in playing Obi-Wan Kenobi in a Star Wars spinoff movie. He cited the possibility of filling in the gap between his last movie, Episode III, and the appearance of Alec Guinness' older Kenobi in Episode IV.

    "That might be my window, there, to tell that story," McGregor said. "I don't know what he did in the desert. We could make up some stuff."

    Whatever the story might be, McGregor definitely seemed up to the task. "I'd be up for it," he said.

    A movie about Obi-Wan's time watching over Luke Skywalker from afar, sounds kind of boring. They could maybe mine something out of that, like, it's the story of the time someone almost found out about Luke, or he helps the Lars' out with something, but...I don't really know about that.

  7. #127
    Elder Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    mansfield, MA
    Posts
    20,866

    Default

    At this point you two should just put eachother on ignore.

  8. #128
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Yeah, if i was McGregor i would want to be in movies that make a lot of money too.
    He always liked Star Wars, just dislike George's managment style.

  9. #129
    Here we ..... go DennyK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Cape Coral, Florida
    Posts
    2,894

  10. #130
    Psychic Sniper Psyknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,425

    Default

    This is exciting. I've loved Star Wars since I was 9 years old. The only prequel movie I liked was AOTC, but I still look forward to more Star Wars movies.

  11. #131
    FRENCH Frank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Antartica
    Posts
    10,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I can see the resemblance.
    He looks nothing like him, plus people would want someone badass for Solo, not a goof.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

  12. #132
    FRENCH Frank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Antartica
    Posts
    10,350

    Default

    BTW, what's this I heard about Ford, Hamill and Fischer saying they're happy that "They'll focus on the kids"? I hope it's not what I think it says.
    Legato - Frank, Calm Down Your Nerd Rage!

  13. #133
    Elder Member Mat001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,997

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Yeah, if i was McGregor i would want to be in movies that make a lot of money too.
    He doesn't make movies with the intent of wanting to be a big time box office draw. He makes movies that impress him on the page. That's why he's done independent films such as "Velvet Goldmine", while doing films like "Jack The Giant Killer". The mainstream films that are PG and PG-13, are done so that his kids could watch him in films that he feels comfortable with them seeing.

    Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper
    Ok...you're now defending "Greedo shot first". You've officially gone too far in your constant defending the party line of these franchises.
    I've been doing that since 2001.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000
    What? I'm sure you of all people know the whole reason for the change was to change Han's character. But let me tell you this: Han already reaching for his blaster, it's not the same as just shooting someone.
    No, it's not. It means that Han is intending to kill Greedo since the blast is not set on stun. It may make Han seem less coldblooded, but he's every bit as much since Lucas didn't cut that part out.

    What the fuck are you talking about? Having some mystery to the character isn't going to stop them from having a good story, in fact, it could help.
    It only helps if all you think there is to Fett is that. The general audience wasn't concerned about Fett's identity and backstory. Only the fans who obsessed about it to the point that they made it a much bigger deal than it needed to be, with several people being writers who wrote stories about it. Hell, prior to the PT, Fett's origin was laid out in "Last One Standing" and "The Bounty Hunters War Trilogy".

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank
    BTW, what's this I heard about Ford, Hamill and Fischer saying they're happy that "They'll focus on the kids"? I hope it's not what I think it says.
    It means what Lucas said back in 76 to Hamill, that eventually the story would shift to their offspring and that Luke would pass on his Lightsaber like Excalibur. Which was also the intent behind "Young Jedi Knights" and "Junior Jedi Knights". The actual characters will probably be different, but the basics will still apply.

  14. #134
    Veteran Member Simbob4000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    I've been doing that since 2001.
    Since 2001? What, like, before 2001 you thought it did change him, but now you don't? Was 2001 the first time you saw Star Wars?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    No, it's not. It means that Han is intending to kill Greedo since the blast is not set on stun. It may make Han seem less coldblooded, but he's every bit as much since Lucas didn't cut that part out.
    It only means he was preparing to shoot if the need arised, it does not mean he was intending to kill him the whole time...him killing Greedo wasn't a foregone conclusion once the blaster came out. And no, it isn't every bit as coldblooded, as you say, as it was before. In the new verson Han waits until he's attacked to kill Greedo, only once he's given provocation does he kill Greedo in retaliation; in the old version he just shoots Greedo onces the conversation starts going a bit more south, and does so while smirk on his face. Now, you may not see the difference in those two things, but there's a difference in those two things. If Han was intending to kill Greedo from the moment he unholstered his blaster he would have just killed him the moment he did so. It's not like he was pumping Greedo for info, so why wait; what the hell was he doing, building tension for ubiquitous third-parties?

    And please tell me you don't think what you do because of the stun thing you said. Is his blaster having a stun setting something that ever comes up in the movie? Why are you assuming his blaster can do that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mat001 View Post
    It only helps if all you think there is to Fett is that. The general audience wasn't concerned about Fett's identity and backstory. Only the fans who obsessed about it to the point that they made it a much bigger deal than it needed to be, with several people being writers who wrote stories about it. Hell, prior to the PT, Fett's origin was laid out in "Last One Standing" and "The Bounty Hunters War Trilogy".
    Jeuse, how in the hell can you not see that there being mystery to Fett is a good thing...especially in a movie where Fett is the main character? I get that you love the prequels, but it's ok to admit that one of the movies destroying any mystery there was to Boba Fett wasn't a good thing for the character. Have you ever seen any movie where the main character (or one of them) was somewhat of an enigma, can you imagine if that movie had some other story that pissed it all away behand?

    What was his origin in those stories? Were they things that ruined any bit of mystery the character might have had, like Attack of the Clones did?
    Last edited by Simbob4000; 02-17-2013 at 04:13 PM.

  15. #135
    BANNED Phil Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Charles, Mo
    Posts
    5,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simbob4000 View Post
    It only means he was preparing to shoot if the need arised, it does not mean he was intending to kill him the whole time...him killing Greedo wasn't a foregone conclusion once the blaster came out.
    And that is your interpretation of the events. That's fine. But you shouldn't be telling us that it is the only possible interpretation of the scene, because obviously it isn't. We see it differently than you. It doesn't change the way the rest of the movie plays out. It only colors your interpretation of the way the rest of the movie plays out. But there were no changes made to Hans part in the rest of the films that suggests that he was radically different from the Cantina scene on then he was the first time the film was released.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •