Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    But Nightmask makes total sense?
    If Hickman is building up toward reintroduction of some New Universe elements, yes. I read somewhere that some of dialogue in one of the previous issues mention the White Event, that combined with a possible translation error would be a excellent means to throw some of the scent or be a red herring in of itself.

The semantic trick hasn't escaped me, but I couldn't avoid thinking about some hidden agenda.
    Michelangelo > Leonardo da Vinci > Isaac Newton > Nikola Tesla > Valeria Richards > Reed Richards = T'Challa > Victor Von Doom > Hank Pym > Bruce Banner > Hank McCoy > Tony Stark

Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wellman View Post
    If Hickman is building up toward reintroduction of some New Universe elements, yes. I read somewhere that some of dialogue in one of the previous issues mention the White Event, that combined with a possible translation error would be a excellent means to throw some of the scent or be a red herring in of itself.
    Oh yeah, Nightmask is from the New Universe. I thought we were just talking about the sense of superhero names.

Senior Member I'm Not Daredevil's Avatar

Kubert's art in this issue was alot better. The colorist did a great job as well.

Splendiferous Spider Hero ImmortalIronFist's Avatar

Actually, more Smashers than that have died. It became kind of a running joke in cosmic books. The one referenced here died in New X-Men, Vulcan killed one in Uncanny, another was killed when the Guard attacked the wedding of Crystal and Ronan, yet another was killed by Gladiator in the same event...and then the one Izzy replaces dies here. I think that makes 5.
    Hey, that tiger is flying a spaceship.

Quote Originally Posted by ImmortalIronFist View Post
    Actually, more Smashers than that have died. It became kind of a running joke in cosmic books. The one referenced here died in New X-Men, Vulcan killed one in Uncanny, another was killed when the Guard attacked the wedding of Crystal and Ronan, yet another was killed by Gladiator in the same event...and then the one Izzy replaces dies here. I think that makes 5.
    Yeah, you can see why they had 40 or 50 in training just in case before she was elevated to "Super Guardian" level.

I loved this issue. Seriously. I am IN with this series. I love the new Smasher. THIS is how you create a new character, especially an exciting female character. Wonderful. Just wonderful.

Other writers need to take note!

Do we know how long this title is supposed to stick around for? I thought I read somewhere that Hickman had a three year plan for Hyperion. Also I liked this issue, I like lizzy. I also liked how they said there is 43 other smashers running around kickin butt trying to become apart of the Imperial Guard. Im pretty sure thats correct unless I read that wrong...and I think thats a cool idea, pretty sure thats new too.

Noticed a minor grammatical error. But it doesn't really matter.

a endless alien armada
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Smasher's issue is much better than Hyperion's, not only from the plot and characterization angles, but also the artwork; whether it's Adam Kubert stepping up his game, or Frank Martin's colors that enhance the visuals, the whole thing was a joy. Love the Imperial Guard!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cover_A2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	108379

Please check my mini-reviews of DC and Marvel comics at:

http://myhumblereview.blogspot.com

Comments and feedback are always welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorviss View Post
    Do we know how long this title is supposed to stick around for? I thought I read somewhere that Hickman had a three year plan for Hyperion. Also I liked this issue, I like lizzy. I also liked how they said there is 43 other smashers running around kickin butt trying to become apart of the Imperial Guard. Im pretty sure thats correct unless I read that wrong...and I think thats a cool idea, pretty sure thats new too.
    He's said a couple of times that the amount of story he's planned out and pitched covers two-and-a-half years of publishing time.
    The overarching story we're seeing in the titles is two-and-a-half years, then.
    It could end up like F4/FF, where he finishes the main event and then goofs around for a bit afterwards. He's been talking about being done with Avengers in "a few" years.

I'd say it's probably a three year proposition.

When I first discovered this in my pile, with Smasher on the cover, I was ready to put it back but bought it anyways. So glad that I did! Wow, what a really great read! I've not been this happy with a new character in a very long time. :) Izzy was endearing and fearless and I can't wait to read more about her. I've enjoyed Avengers, for the most part and looking forward to more.
    Check out my webcomic:
    Rival Angels
    The #1 Wrestling Webcomic
    CHECK OUT MY KICKSTARTER

Quote Originally Posted by PupsOfWar View Post
    He's said a couple of times that the amount of story he's planned out and pitched covers two-and-a-half years of publishing time.
    The overarching story we're seeing in the titles is two-and-a-half years, then.
    It could end up like F4/FF, where he finishes the main event and then goofs around for a bit afterwards. He's been talking about being done with Avengers in "a few" years.

I'd say it's probably a three year proposition.
    I'm more curious what he'd do with New Avengers after this whole crisis thing is over.

Avengers is pretty easy to continue with. But this particular version of New Avengers seems to exist just to tell this story.

Though I suppose it's easy enough to just have the Illuminati continue to meet to deal with problems secretly.

Fictionaut-in-training warriorfist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm more curious what he'd do with New Avengers after this whole crisis thing is over.

Avengers is pretty easy to continue with. But this particular version of New Avengers seems to exist just to tell this story.

Though I suppose it's easy enough to just have the Illuminati continue to meet to deal with problems secretly.
    If he sticks around after the big story like he did with the FF books, I sure hope he has some solid, smaller arcs planned for that. Personally, I found the breadth of the post-Celestial story issues to be middling until the finales.

I liked this issue well enough, definitely better than the Hyperion spotlight. I like how Hickman does this quickfire characterisation that gives these characters an illusion of depth, which is something we don't really see with many writers now.

P.S: I did a review for this book, if anyone's interested!
    Alright, I am doing comics reviews at ORC again. Yay!

Also writing fan-fics! The adventures of Bucky Barnes, Clark Kent and many more can be found here!

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfist View Post
    If he sticks around after the big story like he did with the FF books, I sure hope he has some solid, smaller arcs planned for that. Personally, I found the breadth of the post-Celestial story issues to be middling until the finales.

I liked this issue well enough, definitely better than the Hyperion spotlight. I like how Hickman does this quickfire characterisation that gives these characters an illusion of depth, which is something we don't really see with many writers now.

P.S: I did a review for this book, if anyone's interested!
    I sort of think Bendis kind of had the same problem. Once he finished telling his BIG stories (build up to Secret Invasion and Dark Reign), he was really left with a lot of smaller arcs that in some ways felt anti-climactic.

I think that's sort of the problem with modern day comic story telling. Back in the way 2-3 issue story arcs were the norm. But now they seem somewhat pedistrian in comparrison to these larger epic arcs that are 3-5 years in the making that guys like Bendis and Hickman start off with.

Once they tell their BIG story the smaller stuff afterwards, even when it's not necessarily bad, just feels small by comparrison.